User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane vs. Gas Generators

I'm picking up a fifth wheel soon, and considering adding an Onan generator. Primary reason is to run the A/Cs while underway. Pros/Cons on propane vs gas generators in a fifth wheel?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine adding the Onan propane is easiest since you already have a propane supply. Where would the gas storage go? I dont know the difference on consumption, but I'm a little under 1 gph on a 5500 Onan gasoline version. A propane benefit is no need to worry about gas sitting in there too long and gumming things up...I think that's true anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated above most 5th wheels will take a propane generator and toy haulers will have a gas generator as they have onboard gasoline storage tanks. My Onan 5500 watt is supposedly slightly less fuel efficient than a 5500 watt gas one, propane has less energy than gas. You also don't have to worry about gas going stale either. My Onan will run both 15K a/c units at the same time plus lights etc. It is well worth it in my opinion.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am curious as to why you want to run a/c while underway. I believe it is illegal to ride in the trailer while traveling.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    I am curious as to why you want to run a/c while underway. I believe it is illegal to ride in the trailer while traveling.
    I imagine he wants to arrive at his location with the unit already cooled off. At least some states do allow passengers to ride in a 5th wheel trailer if the passengers and the driver have direct communication.

The propane units do run cleaner, have less fumes, much less maintenance. Down side is they are slightly less efficient both in production of power and fuel consumption than gas.

We love our propane powered Onan.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing a trailer a few years back that had been in a wreck. The frame was there with part of the floor attached, but the walls, roof, and contents were scattered all over the road. Having the structural integrity of a shoe box came to mind..
    But anyway, if you feel like living on the edge, remember to tell the passengers back there not to operate the slide outs! And read what a quick internet search revealed:
    State laws often set age limitations, typically requiring riders in travel trailers to be at least 14 years of age. In addition, most states require that the fifth wheel trailer has a door that can be opened from both the inside and outside for safety reasons. Some states mandate that passengers in travel trailers wear seat belts. In others, it is required that that windows in fifth wheels be made of safety glass in the event of an accident.

Arizona, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wisconsin permit passengers to travel in fifth wheels. Of these, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota and Wisconsin require a source of communication between the driver of the towing vehicle and passengers in the travel trailer for safety reasons.

If you will be traveling in a fifth wheel, consult the department of motor vehicle regulations for your state before setting out on your trip and review the rules of other states that you may travel through on your journey.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It likely has nothing to do with being inside while driving and more about keeping it cool when traveling or running the fridge.

We run the generator most of the time on trips and are never inside while in motion. I like it not being 100 degrees inside when we end our day or if I need to use the restroom or lay down etc. It's nice to be comfortable.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    It likely has nothing to do with being inside while driving and more about keeping it cool when traveling or running the fridge.

We run the generator most of the time on trips and are never inside while in motion. I like it not being 100 degrees inside when we end our day or if I need to use the restroom or lay down etc. It's nice to be comfortable.
    My feelings exactly! These monsters get hot inside in south Texas running down the highway. Much nicer to set up at a comfy 72 degrees inside.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I'm picking up a fifth wheel soon, and considering adding an Onan generator. Primary reason is to run the A/Cs while underway. Pros/Cons on propane vs gas generators in a fifth wheel?
    Fuel storage is the big issue. The propane tanks go pretty fast as well when running at half load. Either way you'll have to deal with fuel, gas is easier / faster to get but you'll have to store it in addition to the propane you already have.

We did the Onan because of the large fuel tank on the toy hauler. Had we gone with a solitude or something else I wouldn't have gotten the Onan, its expensive for what it is, bought a Honda and dealt with fuel tanks. I probably would of installed a plug under the nose area and rode with the Honda in the bed or done the same on the rear of the unit using the hitch and just running wire back there for a plug. Either way, without an internal tank I would of passed on the Onan. They work well enough, just expensive.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN