User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer lights issue

Isolated this to the trailer and not my tow vehicles I believe. Issue occurs with both expedition and f150.
    When lights on vehicle are in the on position right turn signal flashes all lights on trailer...including side markers. Left turn signal works normally. Brakes turn on on all lights.
    With lights off no right brake or right turn signal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like the trailer or tow vehicle 7 pin is wired incorrectly. Since I see you have a new 2019 I assume it has always done that. The below website will tell you which connection is meant for what so that you can check and maybe reconnect.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=7+pin...hfAQShrmS6GEM:

Rob

I should have also said that using a DC voltmeter you can connect to each pin and ground on the truck and confirm that it does what it is supposed to do.
    Last edited by Calbar; 05-26-2019 at 07:42 AM.
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow the trailer pig tail to a nice little steel box full of wires. Check here for loose connections , these are generally just connected with wire nuts.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It worked fine for the first 2 or three trips.
    Will see what is in that box.

2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another possibility is that one of the tail lights is wired backwards, crossing the marker light signal with the brake/turn signal. If the connections at the pin box appear to be correct, I would trace the wiring at the tail lights.

To make this just a little more confusing . . . GDRV does not use conventional wire colours in their harness (at least they did not in my Reflection). Marker lights stay with brown. Right turn/stop stays with green. Left turn/stop which is supposed to be yellow, is a red wire.

Then, at the tail light, brown is supposed to connect to green for marker/tail and green or red is supposed to connect to black for turn/stop. These were reversed on my trailer, which didn't much matter for the original two filament incandescent bulbs, but screwed things up when I went to LED tail lights.

(another) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d be looking at grounds, starting at the right turn/brake light itself. When grounds are inadequate, the current finds a path through other filaments.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one thing to remember. It all worked when we bought it and for at least two trips.
    I did pull the the cover off the connections box. Nothing stood out. The yellow wire had no connection, just a cap.
    However, I did notice that the right tail light is shining bright in run position. Brake light bright.
    That is not a serviceable unit from what I can tell. Wondering if it has failed.

2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    The one thing to remember. It all worked when we bought it and for at least two trips.
    I did pull the the cover off the connections box. Nothing stood out. The yellow wire had no connection, just a cap.
    However, I did notice that the right tail light is shining bright in run position. Brake light bright.
    That is not a serviceable unit from what I can tell. Wondering if it has failed.
    Hi f100owner,

I missed the part about it "used to work right" . . . so, most of my previous ideas don't really apply.

The yellow wire in the connection box is from the umbilical cord and is the wire for back-up lights . . . that GDRV does not use. I have thought of connecting that to a reverse beep-beep-beep alarm. (just kidding)

The missing ground connection suggests by John @jkwilson might be the most likely culprit. The white ground wires all come together in one big wire nut in the junction box. It would be easy for the one to the lights to have worked its way loose.

Wire nuts should never be used on anything that moves (trailers/cars/trucks/boats/airplanes/etc) but, I won't pull out that soapbox (again)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if the lights in a trailer work like they do in a car or truck or not. In a car or truck if the filament on a brake light burns out the turn signa wont work either as they use the same filament to work. Does it look like it could have gotten some water inside of the lens.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I don't know if the lights in a trailer work like they do in a car or truck or not. In a car or truck if the filament on a brake light burns out the turn signa wont work either as they use the same filament to work. Does it look like it could have gotten some water inside of the lens.
    This is a led module with three wires and several LEDs.

2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast