User Tag List

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When storing travel trailer does it need to be level?

We have a new travel trailer and we are storing (Transcend 26 RLS) it in the backyard, but the ground isn't level. One side is lower by about 4". Does this harm the trailer?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The coach does not need to be level when stored with one caveat, avoid opening the slides when the unit is not level.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also probably don't want to run the fridge.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned the refrigerator needs to be close to level. The spec is: 3 degrees left to right and 6 degrees front to back.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4” side to side is less than 2.5º, so you are within the fridge specs. Your backyard is better than some provincial and state parks I’ve used. Is there a reason you can’t level the spot? Either lower one side or raise one side. Throw down some patio stones or just some planks to raise or maybe dig a hole for the high side wheels to sit in, whichever is easier and suits the yard. The closer to level you can get it allows you to open the slides, run the fridge and stabilize.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is our first travel trailer and space in the yard where we are storing it was just cleared of some trees. So the ground is a tad soft and not level in spots. I did go out there and do some raking before we parked it. I thought it was a lot leveler then it actually was and the trailer sunk into the soft ground a bit on the drivers side as I backed it in. I would have thrown down planks, if I had them on hand at the time. I got concerned because the doors didn't seem to be closing right and I was unsure if I should open the slide, so I posted my question. Since the trailer is brand new a lot of friends and family wanted us to open the slide, so they could truly see what it looked like inside. Well I heeded the advice of carnolddsm above and didn't open the slide for them. Yesterday, I finally got around to picking up some pressure treated planks. If it ever stops raining, I'll throw down the planks, reconnect the trailer to the truck and level out the trailer......that is, if it ever stops raining!

In the fall or maybe next spring, I'll have a contractor dig out and level the area. Then I'll back fill it with some sort of stone. I just want to wait until the ground finished settling.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the fall or maybe next spring, I'll have a contractor dig out and level the area. Then I'll back fill it with some sort of stone. I just want to wait until the ground finished settling.
    I used minus 5/8" granite fill. It was inexpensive and I'm happy with how it performs and looks.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    I used minus 5/8" granite fill. It was inexpensive and I'm happy with how it performs and looks.

HTH,
    Kevin
    Kevin, I envy you your hardscaping choices out there (I’ve watched too much DIY and HGTV). Went to a local quarry to get some decomposed granite. Guy told me they had some granite scraps out in the yard, and asked what size remnants did I want. I explained that I wanted to sweep it between paving stones because it’s not so likely to catch weed seeds. He looked at me like I had two heads! BeerBrewer’s choices will probably be #1 , #2 , and limestone crusher run (the last will compact and drain nicely on a level surface-level surface is something I only have vague recollections of).
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Kevin, I envy you your hardscaping choices out there (I’ve watched too much DIY and HGTV). Went to a local quarry to get some decomposed granite. Guy told me they had some granite scraps out in the yard, and asked what size remnants did I want. I explained that I wanted to sweep it between paving stones because it’s not so likely to catch weed seeds. He looked at me like I had two heads! BeerBrewer’s choices will probably be #1 , #2 , and limestone crusher run (the last will compact and drain nicely on a level surface-level surface is something I only have vague recollections of).
    N
    I would've never guessed. Here you can choose from several different rock types. This place is a couple of miles from the house but there are 3-4 places just like them.
    http://www.landscapeandgarden.com/pr...corative-rock/

The valley I live in is mostly sand and river rock. I've pulled rocks from my garden for the last 30 years. Got enough to build a water feature

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    I would've never guessed. Here you can choose from several different rock types. This place is a couple of miles from the house but there are 3-4 places just like them.
    http://www.landscapeandgarden.com/pr...corative-rock/

The valley I live in is mostly sand and river rock. I've pulled rocks from my garden for the last 30 years. Got enough to build a water feature

Regards,
    Kevin
    We had a contractor build us a wall out back and I wanted stairs. Searched for weeks for granite (1 1/2’ x 2 1/2’) treads. Finally, in his travels, Bruce found a place in CT. Hauled them home just on the limits of the landscape trailer.

I’m a gardener and I joke that I have to be patient, so I buy 6-packs and quarts. If I want to plant a gallon container, I have to haul away a 5 gallon bucket of rocks from the hole I’ve dug. On the upside, we’ve got good drainage. Shale and limestone.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L