Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing tires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing tires

Good morning, new member here! I have a2018 reflection, 337rls with about 5k miles on the tires. I am headed to the west coast in August and want new tires. I do not want to replace wheels. Just looking for best replacement tires. Back and forth between GY endurance and the sailun ??? As a relative rookie I am looking to some veteran guidance!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Endurance doesn't come in load range G.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceancityjoe View Post
    Good morning, new member here! I have a2018 reflection, 337rls with about 5k miles on the tires. I am headed to the west coast in August and want new tires. I do not want to replace wheels. Just looking for best replacement tires. Back and forth between GY endurance and the sailun ??? As a relative rookie I am looking to some veteran guidance!
    Thank you very much, as you can tell I am learning on the fly. Is there a suggested /reccomended replacement that will be an upgrade?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sailun and Maxxis seem to be popular (I have GY Endurance but my trailer is lighter). If you use the "Search" box at upper right side of the screen there are endless tire threads to keep you entertained for weeks.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceancityjoe View Post
    After developing a split in the sidewall within the first week of ownership, I replaced all the tires with the Sailun load range G tires. These are 14 ply tires rated for a much heavier trailer. As a consequence the tires are rated to 120 psi. However I only air them up to 90 psi since I do not need that kind of load capacity.

I was worried about whether the Lionshead wheels would work with these new higher pressure tires. So I called the manufacturer. I was told that the wheels are indeed rated to 120 psi, but it was imperative that the rubber valve stem be replaced with an all metal stem. The tire dealer tried to put on a combination metal and rubber stem. I made them take those off and replace them with all metal stems.

We then took the trailer on a 6000 mile road trip with zero issues.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is not much history on the Goodyear Endurance. So far they appear to be a good choice and reports have been good. They may be adequate for your application.

If you feel you need G-Rated tires, then the tires with the best track record (many proven miles of use) would be the Saliun S637 and the Goodyear G614. The G614's are pricey and are close to twice the price of Sailun S637. The Goodyears are easier to find compared to the Sailuns. You will not go wrong with either one.

Your model RV, weight wise, is at point that you may be perfectly fine without G-Rated tires or it is at the point that you may feel better with the added insurance that the G-Rated can handle the heavier loads that the larger Solitudes and Momentum have. The Goodyear Endurance may be all the tire you need going by early reports of the quality of these tires. This is something that you are going to have to determine.

Do some searches on this forums and you are going to fine a lot of information (and opinions) on these tires.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I should add is that the G rated tires will ride more roughly than the OEM tires. I could tell because stuff got jostled around more with the new Sailuns. But IMO that's a small price to pay for the extra margin of safety.

Another thing to consider is if you already don't have one, get a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) for the trailer and your truck. That way you'll know if something is happening to one of the tires.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, we bought our unit November of 2014 and have been back and forth across the country several times. I can only approximate the miles towing to be at least 20,000.
    We upgraded to the Good Years when new and haven't looked back as they have been trouble free. I keep around 100 lbs. cold pressure in them and have had to add air to one or two tires in that time. We also utilize a tire pressure monitor system. Would I do it again ? No question about it.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had Sailun 235/85R16's put on my Reflection 28BH. I used Xtra Seal Bolt-In Valve Stems. They fit 5/8" rim holes. Got mine from O'Reilly's for $2.50 each. Part number 17-428. Line XTS.

Make sure that you tighten the outside nut the next day. The inside seal on mine compressed causing the nut to loosen up. One tire leaked air until I tightened it. Other than that, they worked perfect.

Kevin
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2282 View Post
    I just had Sailun 235/85R16's put on my Reflection 28BH. I used Xtra Seal Bolt-In Valve Stems. They fit 5/8" rim holes. Got mine from O'Reilly's for $2.50 each. Part number 17-428. Line XTS.

Make sure that you tighten the outside nut the next day. The inside seal on mine compressed causing the nut to loosen up. One tire leaked air until I tightened it. Other than that, they worked perfect.

Kevin

What PSI are you running the G rated Sailun tires at? Obviously they are overkill but I like the safety margin they offer. I just want to make sure I don't end up with a rough ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast