User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfintom View Post
    Apologies if this has been discussed.
    What do you all do when unhitching? I know about the checklists and chocking etc. But when you put the front feet down, how do you know they're down far enough without being down too far? Right?
    At first, you're relieving the weight from the truck, but in a split second, the truck is being picked up by the hitch. If there's weight on the truck or if the truck is hanging from the pin, it's not an ideal time to pull the lever and move the truck out. How do you judge the point of equilibrium?
    I have the B&W Companion also. When we get the RV set where we want it and almost level side to side, CHOCK the RV tires! Then unhitching, I block the landing gear and drop them 6 holes. Using the leveling system to lower the landing gear to raise the RV, I watch the hitch where the pin box plate sets on the hitch plate, and when I see the pin box plate separate from (or rise up off) the hitch plate I stop. This gives you @ 1/4 inch of gap, now you can unlock the jaws and the hitch will separate easily from the pin box every time.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.......reading all this sure makes me appreciate our Pull-Rite Superlite. Hitching/unhitching is a breeze.....and can be done at angles other than straight on.
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    Wow.......reading all this sure makes me appreciate our Pull-Rite Superlite. Hitching/unhitching is a breeze.....and can be done at angles other than straight on.
    I simply cannot imagine an easier hitch than the B&W Companion. The issue discussed here is common to all fifth-wheel hitches (gooseneck units simply need to be lifted high enough to clear the ball).
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    I simply cannot imagine an easier hitch than the B&W Companion. The issue discussed here is common to all fifth-wheel hitches (gooseneck units simply need to be lifted high enough to clear the ball).

I can hook up my trailer using my B&W hitch, with the trailer at 90 degrees.
    But with all my experience I've never found the need to unhitch at any kind of severe angle.
    If you need to do that you're probably parking your trailer somewhere you shouldn't.
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 05-29-2019 at 12:01 AM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I lift the trailer until I see slack at the hitch head. Either the head moves slightly or I see a very small gap. I have also marked my landing legs at the correct height.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have years of experience, but it didn't take me long to recognize when the hitch hits that magical 1/4" or so clearance before going too high. I, like others, raise it until I just see daylight on the front edge of the pinbox, then, I stop and it unhitches perfectly.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a little trick I learned somewhere. I take a paint stir stick (any thin stick will work) and slip it between the hitch and pin box plate. As I raise the trailer, once the stick starts to move, I am clear to disengage. It's like magic!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CURT Q20 says to leave a little weight on the hitch and if there is a gap, no more than 1/16". After using the "Drop FRONT JACKS" command, I manually raise the pin box till there is just a slight gap, then lower it smidge to put a bit of weight on the hitch and no gap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjinatx View Post
    CURT Q20 says to leave a little weight on the hitch and if there is a gap, no more than 1/16". After using the "Drop FRONT JACKS" command, I manually raise the pin box till there is just a slight gap, then lower it smidge to put a bit of weight on the hitch and no gap.
    Although I have a B&W, I do the same thing. That way if you have an auto-leveling system, when you return the pin box to the unhitched height, it is ready to hook up. You always want to lift the trailer a bit when hooking up so you don’t “high pin” the hitch.

When unhooking, I lower the front jacks a bit, then release the extensions to the ground. Next I use the “auto drop front jacks”. Then I watch the distance between the overload spring and the spring stop on the truck as I lower the jacks further. When that is close to the unhitched spread, I then release the jaws, raise the trailer until I see a bit of space between the hitch and pin box, and then lower back down until a little weight is on the hitch. I then have the correct height for the next hookup when using the automatic return mode.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rob on the Pull-Rite. You need weight on the hitch. My new Reese (puck system) I lift until I see the weight come off the plate and drive out. To hook up I do lower the pin so I have to lift it up.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12