User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How high to raise the 5W to unhitch

Apologies if this has been discussed.
    What do you all do when unhitching? I know about the checklists and chocking etc. But when you put the front feet down, how do you know they're down far enough without being down too far? Right?
    At first, you're relieving the weight from the truck, but in a split second, the truck is being picked up by the hitch. If there's weight on the truck or if the truck is hanging from the pin, it's not an ideal time to pull the lever and move the truck out. How do you judge the point of equilibrium?
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the B&W companion hitch as well and I just look in at the hitch plate when the truck stops rising when weight is removed. I use a white disc lube plate on the pin and when there is just a small bit of daylight below it then that is the equilibrium point on my setup. The truck will pull right out with no issues. I would say with maybe a quarter inch of gap seems to be about right.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfintom View Post
    Apologies if this has been discussed.
    What do you all do when unhitching? I know about the checklists and chocking etc. But when you put the front feet down, how do you know they're down far enough without being down too far? Right?
    At first, you're relieving the weight from the truck, but in a split second, the truck is being picked up by the hitch. If there's weight on the truck or if the truck is hanging from the pin, it's not an ideal time to pull the lever and move the truck out. How do you judge the point of equilibrium?
    What Jeff just said. Just watch for a little daylight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom

When lowering the front landing gear I usually do not pull out more than 6 or 8 holes , I believe 6 holes is recommended in the Lippert manual. I then judge front to back how much out of level the trailer is , low in the front or low in the back , this determines how much blocking I need for the front. As Jeff has stated above , I lift the front just off the hitch and pull the lever and drive away. One thing extra I do is when I am parked where I want it I put the truck in neutral and let things settle , unless the truck is pointed up hill or down hill. Sometimes I have the DW run the lever and I either back up or pull ahead a little to release the pressure on the hitch to detach.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Tom

When lowering the front landing gear I usually do not pull out more than 6 or 8 holes , I believe 6 holes is recommended in the Lippert manual. I then judge front to back how much out of level the trailer is , low in the front or low in the back , this determines how much blocking I need for the front. As Jeff has stated above , I lift the front just off the hitch and pull the lever and drive away. One thing extra I do is when I am parked where I want it I put the truck in neutral and let things settle , unless the truck is pointed up hill or down hill. Sometimes I have the DW run the lever and I either back up or pull ahead a little to release the pressure on the hitch to detach.
    Brian
    It's tricky - isn't it. A quarter inch... So you watch the truck go up as the legs go down. There's a quarter inch when the truck stops rising on its own before it starts getting pulled up by the pin? That's when there's no upward or downward pressure on the hitch and it's the right time to pull the lever. A quarter inch. Really? Yikes.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stop raising the hitch when the truck stops moving up. You have to be alert.

Of course, my husband is standing by the hitch and says "stop" when he sees daylight.

Usually the "stop" command happens just as I stop pressing the button.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I have the B&W companion hitch as well and I just look in at the hitch plate when the truck stops rising when weight is removed. I use a white disc lube plate on the pin and when there is just a small bit of daylight below it then that is the equilibrium point on my setup. The truck will pull right out with no issues. I would say with maybe a quarter inch of gap seems to be about right.
    Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the Lippert remote that I use , we can stand right by the hitch while raising the landing gear and watch the hitch and the pin for separation.

Brian

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on your hitch. The Pull-Rite (non-sliders) must be hitched and unhitched "low" - meaning still with some weight on the hitch. Otherwise you will tear up the jaw latch release mechanism. Read the instruction manual for your particular hitch or get on the manufacturer's web site to see what they advise/require.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    It depends on your hitch. The Pull-Rite (non-sliders) must be hitched and unhitched "low" - meaning still with some weight on the hitch. Otherwise you will tear up the jaw latch release mechanism. Read the instruction manual for your particular hitch or get on the manufacturer's web site to see what they advise/require. Rob
    Ditto.

During delivery handover our dealer's "technical rep" (read, kid with almost no training) told us to raise the pinbox until we could see space between it and our Pullrite hitch's plate to unhitch. Unhitched for months with 1/8"-1/4" of space, no issue.

However we then traded for a Solitude with a different pinbox and a different type of "capture plate" (an extra piece attached to the pin box to make the Pullrite pivot during turns). Got the trailer home for the first time and it would NOT unhitch. In trying different things I lowered it until it was *almost* touching, whereupon it finally came apart with an unpleasant noise. The latch release pin was bent, took weeks to get it repaired.

Now while raising I watch for any sign of movement between pinbox and hitch, and when it happens leave it there to unhitch. If the two parts don't move relative to each other - sometimes there's no forward or back pressure on the kingpin - I keep raising until the tiniest space appears, then lower about 1/2" or so.

That dealer "technical rep" gave us a couple more doozy bits of bad advice too. Buyer beware.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast