User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to convert a Q grill for quick-connect LP gas port use

I’ll start by saying I haven’t been happy with the last 3 full size grills we’ve purchased. Even with the “sear station” feature on the last one, I can’t seem to get a decent sear on a steak, or a good, translucent rind.

We recently resurrected an old, original Weber Q that we only used one summer before deciding to get a full size grill. Last year, the Weber website offered a conversion hose, but we passed on it due to cost (over $65) and because we really couldn’t determine if it would fit our older model. This year, I cannot find that conversion hose anywhere.

After cleaning up the grill, I purchased and installed a new, aftermarket gas/flame ring. Fired it up with the regulator still on it, connected to a 20lb tank. Yup, still as gutless as we remembered. BUT, I already bought a conversion hose (not Weber) on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, might as well continue, worst case, we get it working and sell it. One problem. The female fitting on the hose that connects to the male connection left after removing the regulator is too big.

The young WOMAN who diligently fished through the wall of brass fittings at Home Depot saved us hours! We took both parts in and it took about 20 minutes, but she finally got it all connected. Here are the 3 pieces she found:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B0DE465-AFC5-49B1-A52E-A9D66E3AA935.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	903.5 KB 
ID:	20343

Name:	209ACF4D-1E1E-4F80-8E68-B43722C7F4E1.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	866.7 KB 
ID:	20344

Name:	6040F43F-9588-4202-8CAE-A79267AA420C.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	909.2 KB 
ID:	20345

We took the parts back to the trailer, re-connected all using Teflon tape, plugged in the quick-connect, checked for leaks and fired it up. First wow was when we discovered that our igniter still worked (didn’t when connected to the 20lb tank). Second was when we felt the heat and flame coming off the thing!
    Yea! Cast iron cooking surface/grate, and no dumb “flavorizer” bars to hide the flame!

I’m smelling a perfectly seared and seasoned ribeye in my future!

Guess we’re not selling it after all. My only problem with it is the weight of it, mostly from the 15” x 21” cast iron grate. We ordered up a new split one-two halves instead of one grate. This way, if I have to move it, I’ll do it in pieces.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you should post this, we were just looking at this Converta-Q https://propanegear.com/rv-quick-con...eber-q-grills/ over the weekend due to the Q always going into bypass mode when we try to use it. Think we will order this one when we get home next month. Happy to hear that once you removed the regulator, the grill worked like its meant to. Ok, now I'm ready for a steak...
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pawsitivedivetraining View Post
    Funny you should post this, we were just looking at this Converta-Q https://propanegear.com/rv-quick-con...eber-q-grills/ over the weekend due to the Q always going into bypass mode when we try to use it. Think we will order this one when we get home next month. Happy to hear that once you removed the regulator, the grill worked like its meant to. Ok, now I'm ready for a steak...
    I wasn’t explicit about the new ring. It wasn’t the Weber part (different manufacturer, made to fit Q), and when it arrived, I noticed the holes were bigger (slightly). This might contribute to the new, more robust performance. Wasn’t expensive, little over $20, I just made sure of measurements before I bought it (there are many Q models/sizes now).
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got a Solaire Anywhere Infrared Grill along with the low pressure conversion kit a few months ago. It is an awesome grill although somewhat expensive. It is the perfect grill for us. One thing to note is that all of the quick coupler fittings are not the same. We got a male quick coupler from the dealer where we purchased our RV but it would not fit the female coupler on our rig. I was able to find one that fit at the dealer down the street.
    Larry & Suzanne
    2021 GD Reflection 150 295RL
    2019 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
    6.7L Power Stroke Diesel, 3.55 rear axle ratio
    B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure you use Yellow teflon PTFE tape for your propane and gas fittings. It is denser than the white teflon and has a higher temperature range. White is for water and air lines.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the following on my Q2200. I simply removed the existing regulator/bracket and hooked these up in its place.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PD0QB4/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOAA6O/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HG7WUQ/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FKBXCE/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPYC9BC/

Runs the grill great off of the quick disconnect intended for the outside stove.

If you want to have the option to use tank later, you will need to reintroduce a regulator inline as the pressure off of the tank is higher than what the grill is made to handle. The quick-disconnect on my trailer is after it is already regulated down to a low-pressure system at the trailer tanks which is what the grill burners expect.

For me, regulator came off, new brass parts went on. The regulator was screwed onto the knob/valve assembly but was removable with a pair of wrenches. Not welded on - just screwed. You should be left with a male threaded 1/8" connection (what went into the regulator). Just noticed on my amazon links, make sure you get the right sized parts.

For me that was 1/8" to 1/8" female/female coupler, then 1/8" male to 1/4" female adapter, then 1/4" quick disconnect.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also have a Q2200 that I am hooking up. I was considering going through the existing regulator on the Q2200 rather than removing it. In effect, the gas pressure would be "double regulated". Advantage is it take less parts and would be easier to convert back to the 1 lb throw away containers if need be....I would use this fitting to make the transition from the existing 1 lb bottle port to a male quick disconnect fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I see people do this but I am concerned that the "double regulator" approach will reduce gas pressure/flow to the burner. Thoughts? Experience?

Buckaroo
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Also have a Q2200 that I am hooking up. I was considering going through the existing regulator on the Q2200 rather than removing it. In effect, the gas pressure would be "double regulated". Advantage is it take less parts and would be easier to convert back to the 1 lb throw away containers if need be....I would use this fitting to make the transition from the existing 1 lb bottle port to a male quick disconnect fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I see people do this but I am concerned that the "double regulator" approach will reduce gas pressure/flow to the burner. Thoughts? Experience?

Buckaroo
    Hi Buckaroo, There are threads on this forum that explain why “double regulating” the gas flow won’t work. I read them before I went searching for our parts. As we have no use for the Q, other than with the trailer, we converted it and won’t switch back to hauling other gas canisters around.
    Also, regarding the sear on our full-sized Weber at home, I removed one of the metal guards over the end burner, now it sears in that location just fine. Down side, I have to take the grate off and use a wire brush to clean the burner and will undoubtably have to replace it sooner than normal.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this as well last year. Got tired of dragging the extra propane tank along with us when everything is there. I have another propane hose with a regulator and a quick connect fitting so that I can take the Q to the beach or somewhere where the trailer isn't and still use it.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses. Yes, I read threads on many different forums about double regulating and the info seemed to be conflicting. I decided to remove the Q regulator to avoid any flow issues. Am install this single fitting which I believe will get me directly from the control valve inlet line to the propane quick connect hose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buckaroo
    Buckaroo
    2020 Imagine 2670MK
    2017 Tundra DC 4WD TRD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast