User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question regarding solar and lithium batteries.

Hey guys, we have a new 303 coming in next month and I'm planning on installing two lithium batteries (Battleborn). I'll be replacing the factory converter with a lithium compatible one. I have a set of Renogy portable solar panels that I have used in the past. They are heavy and a pain to transport so I'm just going to install them on the roof of the new trailer. This setup includes a Renogy 40 amp controller. This controller does not have a lithium setting. My question is if I could use the existing controller or do I need to buy a new lithium controller? At this point my opinion is that I could use the existing one set for AGM.
    Thanks guys.
    Jerry & Jeanine
    2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab Diesel
    2014 Reflection 293RES (sold)
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarnes4868 View Post
    Hey guys, we have a new 303 coming in next month and I'm planning on installing two lithium batteries (Battleborn). I'll be replacing the factory converter with a lithium compatible one. I have a set of Renogy portable solar panels that I have used in the past. They are heavy and a pain to transport so I'm just going to install them on the roof of the new trailer. This setup includes a Renogy 40 amp controller. This controller does not have a lithium setting. My question is if I could use the existing controller or do I need to buy a new lithium controller? At this point my opinion is that I could use the existing one set for AGM.
    Thanks guys.
    I suggest calling AMSolar and ask to speak with Garrett Towne (Electrical Engineer & owner) or Dave Reuter. (I have no affiliation outside of being a customer.)

[email protected]
    [email protected]

Note: If you get someone else on the phone...persist and ask for Dave or Garret. No disrespect meant to the other AMSolar employees, but my experience leads to my recommendation.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also talk to the Battleborn guys. They will tell you the AGM setting is fine.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding from Battleborn is that the standard chargers are fine. This is from their site...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	38 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	20347
    Last edited by JColeman; 05-28-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The standard WFCO charger that comes in your trailer “will do” but most of us use chargers that support lithium because their charge rate is much higher (4x) since lithium batteries can handle it.
    For instance, mine charges at 125 amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    The standard WFCO charger that comes in your trailer “will do” but most of us use chargers that support lithium because their charge rate is much higher (4x) since lithium batteries can handle it.
    For instance, mine charges at 125 amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ...and costs?

Not everyone is trying to live off grid requiring costly inverters and multiple solar panels and controls. My system suits my needs perfectly. When I replace my 6V batteries with (2) Battleborns I "might" upgrade my on-board converter to a Progressive for a couple of hundred bucks, but I'm not going to spend $1400 on a new inverter/charger for my requirements.

My current system keeps my batteries fully charged in storage and during the day when my use is limited. The only thing we require from the batteries is to run the furnace all night on a cold evening and keep the basic systems powered. (2) Battleborns would effectively double my current storage. It might be nice to watch TV off the batteries but not worth an extra $900 battery and a $1000 bump on the converter for me.
    Jeff and Jen
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    ...and costs?

Not everyone is trying to live off grid requiring costly inverters and multiple solar panels and controls. My system suits my needs perfectly. When I replace my 6V batteries with (2) Battleborns I "might" upgrade my on-board converter to a Progressive for a couple of hundred bucks, but I'm not going to spend $1400 on a new inverter/charger for my requirements.

My current system keeps my batteries fully charged in storage and during the day when my use is limited. The only thing we require from the batteries is to run the furnace all night on a cold evening and keep the basic systems powered. (2) Battleborns would effectively double my current storage. It might be nice to watch TV off the batteries but not worth an extra $900 battery and a $1000 bump on the converter for me.
    I completely understand and agree with your thought process, Jeff. It's the hybrid mode capability that sent me down the path of the expensive Victron inverter. When we're at a 30A site and the DW has everything going in the kitchen (without thinking for a minute about the electrical load) the Victron I have will pick up the slack, up to an additional 30 amps. These are admittedly short-endurance events, but it's very convenient having that extra power on tap when needed. It is completely seamless to the user, too. (It really is cool technology!)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I completely understand and agree with your thought process, Jeff. It's the hybrid mode capability that sent me down the path of the expensive Victron inverter. When we're at a 30A site and the DW has everything going in the kitchen (without thinking for a minute about the electrical load) the Victron I have will pick up the slack, up to an additional 30 amps. These are admittedly short-endurance events, but it's very convenient having that extra power on tap when needed. It is completely seamless to the user, too. (It really is cool technology!)
    Yup. It's a cost/benefit analysis. If we were full timers, we would have a significantly different approach to this and the top of our rig would look like the array on the space station.

But what we shouldn't do is discourage new people from buying lithium just because their needs don't match ours. There is an entry level to lithium and solar as well as the more sophisticated setups.
    Last edited by JColeman; 05-28-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    Jeff and Jen

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarnes4868 View Post
    Thanks guys.
    After you go lithium you'll never go back to lead acid!
    I misunderstood your post and thought you meant a converter/charger, but now I see you were talking about the solar charge controller.
    If you have the Renogy Rover 40, it should have a lithium setting. All the Renogy Rover 40's I've seen did.
    If it looks like either of these, it supports lithium. I'd give Renogy tech support a call.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41g6pfWu9FL.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	20362
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 05-28-2019 at 11:56 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the charge controller on the left and it does indeed support Lithium batteries. I made sure of that in case I want to switch from my 225 ah lead/acid to lithium. A single 100 ah Battle Born would triple our usable battery capacity. But currently it seems the solar can provide more power than we can use on a sunny day.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast