User Tag List

Setting Up Camp Lawrencemountain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dry Camping, limited fresh water, supply line sucked flat

OK folks, I've got a weird one and I need your help on where to look for the issue. Here's the scoop: I have a 2019 351M, My monitoring system says I have 33% fresh water. The pump is struggling and works hard to get the system up to pressure. Eventually the pump does get there and shuts off. I can get water from all locations but clearly the volume drops off and the pump struggles to keep up. When stopping the use of water, the pump runs for a long time and eventually builds pressure and shuts off. So off I go to the basement of the rig. I get to the back of the Nautilus and I identify one symptom: the rubber line between the Nautilus and the pump is sucked flat when the pump is running. This makes me think either a bad valve or something clogging the line between the fresh tank and the Nautilus.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on how to resolve this? What is the best way to get to the fresh water tank to check that end of the system?
    Steve and Liz Lawrence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We brought our new 2020 3740BH home last week and noticed the same problem. In the (now defunct) Manufacturer's corner, there was a long thread discussing issues with the soft hose leaking. Seems like this might be another issue with it.

I'm considering replacing it with PEX.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190525_075654.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	20363

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing that came to me was that the vent may not be working. If you can't get air into the tank when taking water out that would be the result.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KoryKyzar View Post
    We brought our new 2020 3740BH home last week and noticed the same problem. In the (now defunct) Manufacturer's corner, there was a long thread discussing issues with the soft hose leaking. Seems like this might be another issue with it.

I'm considering replacing it with PEX.

Name:	20190525_075654.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	20363

If you do a search that old thread should come up in the search results, Andy did say that those mfg section posts were put into various sections

Maybe it's in this search
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/sear...archid=1488300

This is the result of 2 people with the same log in, just saw Gary replied too hahahah
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    If you do a search that old thread should come up in the search results, Andy did say that those mfg section posts were put into various sections. Maybe it's in this search

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/sear...archid=1488300

Marcy that link isn't working for me, "no matches".

Looks like things are a-changing around here - new URL, new title - so maybe something got lost in translation.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update. I have completed some investigation on this issue and I believe the cause of this was a heater hose disconnect. One of my heater hoses was disconnected and I had excessive heat in the basement to the point you could not hold your hand on the metal of the Nautilus. That is the main reason I climbed in here in the first place. I believe the soft tube must have been very hot and collapsed under the suction. The hose is now almost sealed closed and can not return to its normal shape. I have all tools and supplies required to replace the hose tomorrow and we'll find out if my diagnosis is correct.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrencemountain View Post
    Update. I have completed some investigation on this issue and I believe the cause of this was a heater hose disconnect. One of my heater hoses was disconnected and I had excessive heat in the basement to the point you could not hold your hand on the metal of the Nautilus. That is the main reason I climbed in here in the first place. I believe the soft tube must have been very hot and collapsed under the suction. The hose is now almost sealed closed and can not return to its normal shape. I have all tools and supplies required to replace the hose tomorrow and we'll find out if my diagnosis is correct.
    Consider replacing the hose not with more flexible hose but with proper PEX pipe. You might need to add a fitting or three to navigate any curves being made by the hose, but moderator and plumbing expert @Cate&Rob will tell you that the improved reliability is worth the trouble. Here's his thread about replacing all the soft hose in his trailer, and why he did it.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ight=soft+hose
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Consider replacing the hose not with more flexible hose but with proper PEX pipe. You might need to add a fitting or three to navigate any curves being made by the hose, but moderator and plumbing expert @Cate&Rob will tell you that the improved reliability is worth the trouble. Here's his thread about replacing all the soft hose in his trailer, and why he did it.

I have completed my work and have come up with several conclusions and modifications that I thought others may appreciate.

First was the solution to the water problem; it was the collapsed hose between the Nautilus/fresh tank connections and the pump inlet. This was replaced with pex for most of it and I left a small section of flexible hose at the pump was a good idea to eliminate vibration and provide flexibility. The small section of flexible hose is too short to collapse in the future. This did resolve all issue with getting water from the tank.

Next, I tightened all pex clamps. I am sure that the tool GD installers are using needs to be calibrated or replaced. As I worked on the first problem listed above, every pex connection I touched started leaking. All of these connections were loose enough to spin on the connector. Tightening each with my tool resolved each leak. This took some time because you can't get the tool in there without taking the pipes off the valves.

I took a few minutes to reroute the wiring for the pump and the cable connections. Oddly enough, these wires run under some duct work as other wires ran over... Simple change but really cleaned up some mess. A few wire ties later and the entire space looks better.

Then for the big modification; I change several other plumbing wonders that really made a huge difference. I shortened the tank fill lines to eliminate the large sweeping pipe, I changed the rooting of the hot water lines to eliminate 5" of distance projecting into the basement, I rerouted several pipes to be under/over the air ducts to eliminate the crushing of the air ducts which clearly will provide better air flow. I moved the main power wires slightly inward. All of this gained a huge amount of additional space in the basement.

When completed I shortened the wall on the front side of the Nautilus by 8" and I extended the rear wall of the garage space by 14". The interior wall angle wall is now flat to the back of the plumbing. This has gained a considerable amount of usable space in the basement.

Here's a few pictures to show the changes.

Before:

Name:	20190528_153430.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	20415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190528_153455.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	20416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190528_153504.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	20417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190528_154106.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	20418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190529_191227.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	20419

After pictures are next post.
    Steve and Liz Lawrence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post

After pictures:

Name:	20190601_164305.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	20420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190601_164311.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	20421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190601_164317.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	20422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190601_164355.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	20423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190601_164406.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	20424
    Steve and Liz Lawrence

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrencemountain View Post
    I have completed my work and have come up with several conclusions and modifications that I thought others may appreciate.
    Very nice, congratulations.

I'm far better at giving advice than I am at following it, so while I've stocked up on PEX and fittings I haven't so far done this work. Any chance you're going to be in the Toronto area before October 31st?!

May your mods bring you peace.