User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power for Parking Lot Overnights

We are heading out to Glacier NP in July and we are planning to stay at Cabela's or Walmart a night or two on the way out and back.

I'm looking for some ideas on how to have some power during that time, with out running a generator. My thought was to swap out our single 12v (100ah) battery for 2 6v (215ah) batteries and then hook up a 1500 watt inverter that I would then plug the camper into. I would have to flip the breaker off for the converter so I don't create any issues.

Would this work? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks!
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    B&W Companion
    2014 RAM 2500 6.7l Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what you are trying to run. For lights and refrigerator on LP you are fine with one battery. If you want AC, you need to reconsider your overnight options.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not planning on running the AC. We are just looking to power the lights, refrigerator, TV and the fantastic fan.
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^ What jkwilson said but I have 2 12 V batteries that I use. Can run heat overnight when travelling south in the winter.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have an inverter and run our generator to watch TV for a few hours until we go to bed around 10pm. We have (2) 6v 225aH batteries giving us around 100aH usable @ over 90% SOC when we go to bed. We run right down to 12.1-12.2 volts when using the furnace @ 72* on a 20-30-'s overnight. If you add a couple of hours of inverter use and TV to that you might come up short.
    Last edited by JColeman; 05-29-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During our last adventure over the winter, we lost power in the Cheaha State Park, Al. Our furnace ran the battery down to a level where the blower wouldn't work. All this happened while we were asleep. After waking up in the middle of the night, I started the truck and hooked it to my trailer harness, which gave us enough juice to run the furnace. It actually worked out very well. The next day we were advised the park was closing, so we had to vacate anyway.
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend the upgrade to batteries of at least 200 ah. Right now if the battery you have is like most dealers install you only have about 35 usable amp/hours (they're generally about 75 ah). If you have to use the furnace at all that just won't do. With 200 amp/hours you would be just fine over night. Leave the tv off and read a book. Use less lights. Be frugal with the power and everything else can be done with 12 vdc on about 50 ah/day.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When we travel/camp we try to leave the real world behind. NO TY! We play board games and listen to music. Right now I have 2-12V battery's and solar which provides for everything we need. No converter yet. New truck may have one. I have done a lot of Wall-Mart camping and I have yet to see a generator out. Most folks come in, get supplies and get some sleep and are very considerate of others.

In the future when the 12V batteries get old, I plan to replace the 2-12V with 4 - 6V

Just my 02
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses, I think that we will upgrade the batteries for more capacity and call it good.
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smharstedt View Post
    Thanks for the responses, I think that we will upgrade the batteries for more capacity and call it good.
    That's a good choice for what your needs are right now. I would suggest going with the two 6-volt batteries instead of the pair of 12 volt batteries. The 6-volts will give you more power and will last longer, they are just better built for deep cycle use.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast