User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Rack for 2150RB

Hey all,

Need a Bike Rack for a 2150RB. Cant go in the Truck Bed (Bed Cover) Cant Roof Rack the truck (Kayaks go there).

I understand Bumper racks shouldn't be used unless Struts are installed to stablized/reinforce the TT rear bumper? Is this correct? If so any recommendations? https://www.amazon.com/Mount-n-Lock-.../dp/B071WK9CD3

Is there a better option besides struts to reinforce such as welding? If so...weld what and where. I have some friends who can help with this.

Also, I found this - https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Appro.../dp/B01N7O88YP Thoughts? Struts still needed if this is used? Its still "On the bumper" So Im assuming yes on the struts.

Any other options or ideas? Dont think I want to do the Ladder rack....but it is only 2 bikes. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't tried it myself yet but we're planning on going with the Lippert Jack-It: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYRM7MM..._J5V7CbNZT6E2D
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjunior View Post
    Haven't tried it myself yet but we're planning on going with the Lippert Jack-It: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYRM7MM..._J5V7CbNZT6E2D
    That is another option....hate the add the drag to the front of the TT though. Thats a nice one....not cheap though.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have decided to do some weld reinforcement. I have a friend who can weld so it will make it relatively easy.

Anyone confirm the bumper is steel (im 99% sure it is)???

Anyone have recommendations on where to weld?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deptacon View Post
    I think I have decided to do some weld reinforcement. I have a friend who can weld so it will make it relatively easy. Anyone confirm the bumper is steel (im 99% sure it is)??? Anyone have recommendations on where to weld?
    I am investigating this same dilemma... Our mountain bikes weigh nearly 60 pounds, not including the weight of a good rack. That bumper I've seen fall off of other TT's on YouTube because it's just too weak. I've started looking at Google reviews for a good local welder to completely reinforce the bumper, which is steel, to the frame. Ant decent welder should be able to plan good attachment points underneath. I've invested nearly $12,000 in those bikes so their security is a MAJOR priority. Once I get a good cap on the bed I'll build a full locking mount inside...but until then...

Good luck!
    Howard & Ellen

2018 RAM Rebel Hemi 27700 miles
    2018 Imagine 2600RB 10704 miles
    Equal-i-zer 14,000 hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outbackwack View Post
    I am investigating this same dilemma... Our mountain bikes weigh nearly 60 pounds, not including the weight of a good rack. That bumper I've seen fall off of other TT's on YouTube because it's just too weak. I've started looking at Google reviews for a good local welder to completely reinforce the bumper, which is steel, to the frame. Ant decent welder should be able to plan good attachment points underneath. I've invested nearly $12,000 in those bikes so their security is a MAJOR priority. Once I get a good cap on the bed I'll build a full locking mount inside...but until then...

Good luck!
    I got another post going in the DIY section on this topic. Lots of good info.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, on those bumper issues....what did you finally decide and did it work?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghdorn View Post
    ok, on those bumper issues....what did you finally decide and did it work?
    We did a bumper rack. I didn't want a front of Camper rack for 2 reasons - I want the option to rack kayaks on the back of my truck and I didn't want to add more aero/drag on the front of the camper - Gas mileage is already bad doesn't need to be worse.

The bumper, if reinforced, can handled hundreds of pounds.

We cut into the bumper and inserted and welded a hitch receiver into it. Hitch receivers cheap at Harbor Freight.

Reinforced the bumper in 2 ways

1. Welded steal plate at the bottom joint between the lateral bumper and trailer length frame. on my model I have a bumper frame...that attaches to the camper frame itself.

2. added more welding to the top of where the bumper frame meets the camper frame. One side already had heavy/significant welds...one side was weak. Simply added more weld. It can handle hundreds of pounds now, no issues. anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand metal or welding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58385856684__9C3ED503-7CB2-4CE8-87F0-BB9128D90967.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	24447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58385890734__646546AF-2800-4DB6-9291-7D3A2C05A0C4.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	24448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4007.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	24449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4008.jpg 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	24450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4009.jpg 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	24451

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished and Ready.

Executed about 4,000 miles after the install. Zero issues, no fatigue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4018.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	24452