User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    If you want the batteries to last even longer, replace the converter with a better one. A 4 stage converter will not over charge your batteries and will de-sulfate them also.
    What's an example of a better converter? Brand name, features to look for, etc?
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    If you want the batteries to last even longer, replace the converter with a better one. A 4 stage converter will not over charge your batteries and will de-sulfate them also.

AGM for me. I hate the mess batteries can make. I found a good deal, be leave it or not at Battery/ Plus Bulbs.
    Ask for the vet discount too. KEN
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjunior View Post
    What's an example of a better converter? Brand name, features to look for, etc?
    Something like this for our 374TH. Inteli-Power PD9260C, 60 amp power converter
    It has a Built-in Charge Wizard.

This might be a bit big for an Imagine, unless you have multiple batteries. KEN

Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Ken , @orbiker

Thank you for the input on the converter/charger. I wanted to check to see if the Converter/Charger was actually going down to a trickle Charge. What I found out is that the converter/charger does not go into trickle mode until after 44 hours of a high power draw such as a slide or jack operation. I did find that it dropped down when I checked it. If I have any more trouble I plan to look at changing this along with a AGM battery.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see this is an old thread but I’ll try my question here. I keep my 5th wheel Reflection plugged in all the time but I shut the battery off when I’m gone for long periods. Last weekend I went to the trailer and found the battery low when I tried to use the jacks. I forgot to turn the battery switch on. I turned it on and was able to use the jacks. I could hear the fan on the charger start up. During the night I could still hear it running and thought that odd. In the morning it was still running so I went out to check the battery. I took the cover off the battery and steam was shooting out of my new closed cell battery. Thank God for the battery box and that the battery didn’t catch fire. It was too hot to touch.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Was it the battery or the charger that caused the problem. Being the battery is new I’m wondering if the voltage regulator on the charger might be bad. How do I proceed?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petendoll View Post
    I see this is an old thread but I’ll try my question here. I keep my 5th wheel Reflection plugged in all the time but I shut the battery off when I’m gone for long periods. Last weekend I went to the trailer and found the battery low when I tried to use the jacks. I forgot to turn the battery switch on. I turned it on and was able to use the jacks. I could hear the fan on the charger start up. During the night I could still hear it running and thought that odd. In the morning it was still running so I went out to check the battery. I took the cover off the battery and steam was shooting out of my new closed cell battery. Thank God for the battery box and that the battery didn’t catch fire. It was too hot to touch.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Was it the battery or the charger that caused the problem. Being the battery is new I’m wondering if the voltage regulator on the charger might be bad. How do I proceed?
    Don't know for sure, but when you said that you "shut the battery off when I’m gone for long periods," I'm pretty sure you also shut off the charger. There are, however, several things in the coach that continue what some have called a "parasitic" draw. These are things like the smoke and CO alarms that bypass the battery switch. My theory is that these draws drained your battery completely. Lead-acid batteries don't respond well to being completely drained. I'm guessing that your battery is shot and that when the charger tried to recharge it, you got the heat you described. A "smart" charger might have done better, for instance it might have tried a de-sulfurization routine first. And it almost certainly wouldn't have tried to charge a dead battery to the point of nearly starting a fire. Just my 2 cents.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After checking the charger output (13.6v). And checking the battery (7.8v). Took the battery back. They replaced it under the warranty. They even gave me a larger battery as the one I returned was out of stock. Everything looks good now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12