User Tag List

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tongue Wt and Wt Distribution Question

We are new to RVing and I've got a question about my tongue wt and weight distribution.

We currently own a Grand Design Transcend 26RLS travel trailer, the sticker on the trailer says that the GVWR = 8495 lbs and the UVW = 6708 lbs.

My tow vehicle is a 2018 Ram 2500 CTD. My Payload is 2400 lbs, max tongue wt is 1800 lbs and max towing is 17,100 lbs. We are using a Hensley Arrow hitch with 1000 weight distribution bars.

Unfortunately I can't find an RV scale locally, so I bought a tongue weight scale, just so I'd at least know my tongue wt while I search for a scale. If I can't locate an RV scale soon I'm planning to unload the trailer and weigh everything one piece at a time and tally it up. The trailer is currently sitting in our yard all loaded up with our "camping stuff" minus food and our clothes. The kitchen cabinets basically sit over the trailer axles, so I don't think adding food will any increase the tongue wt at all. The clothes on the other hand are another story, since the bedroom is in the front of the trailer. So I took 4 storage bins of cloths, which is more cloths than we'd ever pack and put 2 of them in the storage bin under the bed and the put the other 2 on the bed but under the storage cabinets. Also, all of the tanks are empty, but these are all close to the axles. Then I weighed the tongue using my new scale and it weighed 950 lbs.

Is my 950 lb tongue weight too close the 1000 lb weight distribution bars? Should I go with the next larger size? The trailer seems to tow fine and the truck sits very level when hitched up, but I'm no expert. We don't experience any sway at all, even when passed by huge trucks on very windy days. When we do go over a bumb in the road the trailer does seem to push the truck up and down for a brief moment then steadies right out. Is this normal or does it mean that I need more weight distribution.

Thanks

Bob

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob

The bump pushing the truck up and down is common with travel trailers. If your weight set up is working for you I would leave it alone. You tongue weight seems to be in the 10-15% that I have seen recommended. Going up to say 1200 or 1500# bars may be worth while if you will load a little heavier at times. But like I said if it is good now keep on trucking.

Brian

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are having no issues with sway and no nose high attitude on your truck your setup is fine. One easy thing you can do to double check is park the TV on level ground and measure the height to a spot on the front bumper or wheel well. Now when you have the trailer hooked up take a measurement at the same location. To be perfect the distance should match, if it changes by under an inch you should be in good shape. Adding heavier bars will transfer more trailer movement to the truck and affect the ride. Going over a bump could transfer an uncomfortable amount of weight to the tow vehicle suspension. Also be aware there are a number of different tweaks that can be done to the WDH that do not require heavier bars. I had a TT that was a nightmare to tow and considered selling it just for that reason. It turned out the dealer setup guys didn't even get close to having the WDH tuned to my truck or the trailer. After a couple days of research and talking with the techs from the hitch manufacturer it took me an hour to get the head angle and ball height right. My trailer went from scary to pull at 50 mph to not even knowing it's there at 65.

Best of Luck with your trailer.
    DaveO_VB
    Virginia Beach / SE Virginia
    2016 F-150 Super Tow (loved but gone)
    2018 2150RB (Has a new happy home)
    2020 260RD DP windows
    2019 F-250 Lariat Gas SD Payload 3079#
    Anderson Ultimate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Brian stated you are within the 10-15% TW so you should be fine and if the truck and trailer handle comfortably then I would not change anything or worry about it. I think the Hensley 1000 are rated for a bit more than the 1000lbs and know others that tow with higher TW than you do and have the same setup.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What everybody said above. You typically want to be as close as possible to the max on the bars without going over. Sounds like all is OK.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What receiver did you add to be able to get an 1800 lb tongue weight? My 2500 has a maximum tongue weight of 1200 lb. But that is the factory receiver.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the hitch that came on my 2018 Ram 2500 CTD. The hitch is labeled as a Class V and according to Ram's web page and my manual, the hitch receiver is rated to tow 17,000 lbs and max tongue weight of 1800 lbs.

What truck do you own?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is a 2012 2500. It is nearly impossible to find information on it. The service manager I called told me it was good up to 1,400 lb tongue weight with weight distribution. The best I can find online is 1200 lb. I've also seen it being a thousand pounds. I was really hopeful that in getting a new truck I can get a higher hitch weight. I've had this one for seven and a half years and would like to keep it for several more. But if need be I can swap it out early. I don't like the idea of having two hitches on the back.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    Mine is a 2012 2500. It is nearly impossible to find information on it. The service manager I called told me it was good up to 1,400 lb tongue weight with weight distribution. The best I can find online is 1200 lb. I've also seen it being a thousand pounds. I was really hopeful that in getting a new truck I can get a higher hitch weight. I've had this one for seven and a half years and would like to keep it for several more. But if need be I can swap it out early. I don't like the idea of having two hitches on the back.
    Foot note #3 says 1200 lbs max for the class IV receiver.
    http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2012/d...ammlup2500.pdf

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I actually found that one yesterday. That's why I said it was nearly impossible. And spent two and a half weeks trying to find something official in writing. I was really hoping that the service manager was correct. Apparently not. I did manage to get my tongue weight down to 1180. This is towing a 3170bh. I really did not intend to hijack someone else's thread.