User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camping World about to go under??

Been reading some news about financial problems at Camping World and Good Sam Club. Are they really going under? We have the road service package from Good Sam and now wonder if it will even be there for our trip in July!! What is the latest on this..........anybody know for sure??

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is true, he must have truly pissed off half of camping america.
    Something worth looking into , we also have their roadplan.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read something on another RV forum several weeks ago about CW stock prices falling. I will say the CW in Myrtle Beach, SC is undergoing a massive expansion. They have expanded their lot by several acres and a new building is planned. The number of RV's they have there is mind boggling.....must be 500 trailers, 5th wheels and motorhomes on their lot.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read recently he said something about our president and something to the order of "if you don't agree with me then don't stop at a Camping World." Have no idea if this is true, you can read anything on the Internet. We also have the Good Sam Visa with lots of points built up to spend, wonder if this is in jeopardy also??

Also just got an advertisement about a "pre auction sale" going on now at Camping Worlds...........8000 RV's nationwide must go!!! It ain't sounding good is it?
    Last edited by Likes to tow; 05-30-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a really interesting article about this here: https://rvmiles.com/is-camping-world-going-bankrupt/

Worth a read and addresses some of the currently circulating chat about CW (and how it got started).
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss

Site Team
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    We also have the Good Sam Visa with lots of points built up to spend, wonder if this is in jeopardy also?
    Probably a good idea to cash them in before they devalue them.

Camping World stock is headed south pretty quick.
    https://www.google.com/search?tbm=fin&q=NYSE:+CWH

I'm hearing rumblings about lots of consolidation ahead in the RV dealership industry. Basically lots of RV dealers are getting older and looking to cash in. Many of the people planning to build dealer networks also understand the fundemental issues facing the industry like being denided service by a dealer because you didn't buy there or putting you last inline. I think most of them know there are a lot of profits in service but finding techs right now is the bottleneck. The RVIA just launched a new inititiative to try and bring awareness to workers to help increase the number of techs available. Hopefully in 10 years the indistry will improve and provide a better experience to RVers.

Maybe the Profit should be focusing more on his business vs being a celebrity.
    2017 Toyota Tundra
    No GD in our Garage

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    Probably a good idea to cash them in before they devalue them.

Camping World stock is headed south pretty quick.
    https://www.google.com/search?tbm=fin&q=NYSE:+CWH

I'm hearing rumblings about lots of consolidation ahead in the RV dealership industry. Basically lots of RV dealers are getting older and looking to cash in. Many of the people planning to build dealer networks also understand the fundemental issues facing the industry like being denided service by a dealer because you didn't buy there or putting you last inline. I think most of them know there are a lot of profits in service but finding techs right now is the bottleneck. The RVIA just launched a new inititiative to try and bring awareness to workers to help increase the number of techs available. Hopefully in 10 years the indistry will improve and provide a better experience to RVers.

Maybe the Profit should be focusing more on his business vs being a celebrity.
    Andy, it seems over the past few years most of the consolidation was Camping World buying many previously family owned large RV dealers. Two near me were Tom Johnson's in NC and McGeorge Rolling Hills in Ashland, VA. In most cases folks say when CW acquires those dealers, quality of service plummets. IMO, CW never had a good reputation for service and perhaps Marcus has gotten too greedy and CW is too big to tame.

Our Solitude is the last RV we will likely own at our age. Considering the overall state of the RV industry in terms of poor build quality, shortages of qualified service techs and few really good dealers, buying any RV is a risky endeavor. Unfortunate since it can be a really fun lifestyle and great for families. We've RV'd for the past 40 years and it has been great.

It will be interesting to see what finally shakes out with Camping World. It would be sad for them to fold leaving so many out of work and customers left in the lurch.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Team
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    40 years, that's a fun run at RVing. I agree, it's a lot of fun. I've been taking mystery wife and two young girls camping for the last couple of years. We are outgrowing our trailer, something bigger would be ideal. So we'll have to figure that out in the next year or two...

It might take a perfect storm for Camping World to fold. An deep economic downturn & too much debt are usually killers. I Googled and found this which looks like a strong increase since 2016.

The other consolidation I've heard of is dealer groups (ie. dealers with multiple locations) being acquired. For example, a private equity company might invest in a well run operator. That operator, backed by the private equity investors, would go out and buy up other dealer groups and end up with a portfolio of 100 or more dealerships. I suspect this will happen and in 10-20 years the RV dealer landscape will have evolved from pimarily Mom & Pop to larger institutionally owned operations. Hopefully, these bigger operations will have the capital to build larger service centers and hire more tech and improve the services side of things. If the quality can get a bit better the combo could yield a better ownership experience. We'll see... Easier said than done.
    2017 Toyota Tundra
    No GD in our Garage

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marcus Lamonis bought in to Tumbleweed Tiny Homes in Colorado Springs (they're now built to RVIA standards and have the seal at the door). We toured the tiny home factory a couple of weeks ago and was told that the deal with Marcus lasted less than a year. His vision was that Tumbleweed would fall in under Camping World as the major dealership network and that Tumbleweed business would then explode in growth. We were told that who ever runs Camping World (the company, not Marcus) didn't want any part of Tumbleweed and at that point Marcus and Tumbleweed parted ways.

I've been monitoring CW stocks for about six months and they've been dropping, fast. I'm waiting to see where the bottom is at? I am curious, with the reputation that the service dept. has, why Marcus hasn't done anything about it.

Having attended RV Maint. Tech training and becoming certified through NRVIA as a Level 2 RV Inspector, I know that the NRVTA (National RV Training Academy) has completed their new building in Athens, Texas. It's huge....holds multiple RVs and even has a cat walk so that the students can be above the roof line of an RV while the instructior is training them. They don't just teach towables, they instruct on class A, B & C motorized units also. All the mfgs. like Dometic, Freightliner, Roadmaster, etc. etc. all send their trainers to this school to train the students in their particular products, etc. The classes have more than doubled in size since I took the training and so they're putting out many more "trained" techs. vs. the guy with no experience being trained by the guy next to him that's been doing it six months longer than the new guy in an RV shop. Even in my class there were a few guys that dealerships had sent to the school for professional training.

I'm confident that in the next few years there will be many more "trained" techs out there than there is now. In the mean time, if you're an RV owner they do have a course for RV owners, to teach you everything that you should know about RV ownership/maintenance/repair. If you're interested in info, shoot me a message.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    ...Even in my class there were a few guys that dealerships had sent to the school for professional training.
    That's really not a bad thing. A good shop is always looking for the next young apprentice they can bring along to replace the crusty old codger who has been doing it for 3 years too long who keeps threatening to retire while he slowly produces less and less.

If the certification can become even as legit as ASE, it would be good for the industry.
    Last edited by JColeman; 05-31-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast