User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leak gremlins are in my basement!

I'm gonna make a short story long...Last year before our second trip I put about 20 gal. in the fresh tank. Checked in the basement & had a few drops of water by the pump. Cleaned it up & had no further issues that trip (about 6 days). Two trips later, camped a few days w/ no issues, went to the dump station and a leak alarm goin off. More water by the pump (not much but more). Arrived at the next stop checked everything no hose leaks or leaks at the pump. Camped for a week with no more issues. Had a few more trips with no water drama.
    Last week camped for a couple of days...no problem. Moved to the next camp, set up & went to bed. Woke up to the water alarm again...fooey. Removed the walls in the basement & had about a pint of water around the pump and in the recess on top of the holding tanks. Found no obvious hose, drain pipe or pump leaks. Cleaned it up and had no problem for the next few days (didn't use pump rest of trip).
    Got home & gonna find that leak! Hooked up shore water, turned on every faucet one at a time, left it pressured this way for an hour or so... no leaks. Switched to dry camping, turned on pump, did the faucet thing, left the pump on for another hour or so. Once pressured up it didn't cycle once. Well fooey I CAN'T GET IT TO LEAK
    Dropped a corner of the coroplast & the insulation was dry there (it rained on the move day before the water event).
    Well crapski, I can't fix it if it aint broke!

I'm out of ideas, anybody have something similar happen to them?
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a leak from day one at the cold water inlet connection to the water heater. Based on what others have experienced with Grand Design's use of 1/2" vinyl tubing with PEX connectors, I would suggest one of those fittings may be leaking intermittently. Perhaps only when you are moving down the road and things are flexing a bit. My plan is to replace all the vinyl tubing in the area of the Nautilus panel with PEX.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the area you are seeing the water in below a drain?

Might be coming from above on a drain versus a feed line.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like others have found leaks from the soft hoses as well. not bad, but they were there. Also had a small one by the water heater. Did you check the connections to the water pump? I did not have a leak there, but the fittings where not even hand tight. I replaced the hoses with braided faucet supply lines.

Leaks are tricky. I started to hear my pump cycle at the end of my last trip. Turns out it was dripping from the low point drain. Only found it because of the wet spot on the driveway. Why after 2 trips did it start I may never know.
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul - this is a frustrating situation.......been there like many of us. It is interesting that the presence of water seems to show up after moving the RV. It is interesting also that there seem to be no fresh water system leaks. This would lead one to think that the water is coming from the plumbing; a leak in the shower/sinks/etc.; or water intrusion from the exterior making it inside by your alarm area. The last area seems less likely.

Not sure if you have smelled the water to determine if fresh or other but this may give you a clue. I had a water leak by our street side compartment door from the upper area under the shower. I too tested the fresh system both pump and city and had no leaks. When I smelled the water it seemed a little soapy so I suspected we had a shower plumbing leak. There were no plumbing leaks and found out it was the lack of seal (missing silicone I suspect) between the the shower wall panel lower track and the shower floor pan. Re-did the caulk and all good !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remove the inlet water pump filter and inspect. It may have a crack or bad seal that opens under vibration/pressure, especially if the back flow valves leaks. (filter is not designed for much pressure if I remember correctly) You can also just remove it and connect the water tank feed line directly back to the pump to see if no leaks happen. Also inspect the pump and pressure switch. Leaks can occur around the housing.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    Well crapski, I can't fix it if it aint broke!

I'm out of ideas, anybody have something similar happen to them?
    Hi Paul,

Are you turning on your water heater as part of your leak search?
    Even though your inlet or pump pressure may be set to 40 or 50 psi, turning on the water heater after the system is filled and pressurized with cold water can take the sealed system pressure over 70 psi. As soon as you open a faucet, this excess pressure is released. But, you may have a leak at 70 psi that does not happen at 40 psi.

Just thought . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your responses. There are now some other directions to look that I have not thought of. I have started to replace some of the soft hose...kinda plodding along with that. Most of the water has been around the pump right behind the Nautilus panel so I thought those connections or the pump but nothing yet. When I find it I'll let ya all know
    Thanx again.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is going to sound like a crazy idea, I have an air hose adapter to blow out the system for winter. I can set the pressure and have a lock on fitting. Could you pressurize your system with air and then use a soap solution like you would use for gas leaks.
    OK I will go to my corner now
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    This is going to sound like a crazy idea, I have an air hose adapter to blow out the system for winter. I can set the pressure and have a lock on fitting. Could you pressurize your system with air and then use a soap solution like you would use for gas leaks.
    OK I will go to my corner now Keith
    Probably not crazy Keith but I remember a warning from @Cate&Rob here that 45psi of air into our 45psi water systems is a strain on them. I reduced air pressure during winterizing to 30psi and it was plenty for that job, might be enough for your idea too. Patent it!
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast