Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumper Weld / Reinforcement - 2150RB

Hey all,

Putting a bike rack on the back of my 2150RB. Going to reinforce the back bumper with some welding as I have a friend who will do it no cost.

Anyone done this before? Curious to know where you welded reinforcement specifically.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I know it has been discussed before, but the bumpers are pretty thin and flimsy. I would not trust a bike rack on one, even reinforced.

Since you have a friend who can weld, I would suggest getting a receiver the bolts or welds, on. where it attaches can be reinforced. Keep it up as high as you can for clearance. That is what I did on y last trailer, and have on my current one and I never give a second though if the bikes will be there when we get where we are going.
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camper1013 View Post
    So, I know it has been discussed before, but the bumpers are pretty thin and flimsy. I would not trust a bike rack on one, even reinforced.

Since you have a friend who can weld, I would suggest getting a receiver the bolts or welds, on. where it attaches can be reinforced. Keep it up as high as you can for clearance. That is what I did on y last trailer, and have on my current one and I never give a second though if the bikes will be there when we get where we are going.
    I mean if im welding or bolting a receiver on Its still attaching to the bumper assembly. Would still have to reinforce the bumper

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would run it back to the frame. Drop the underbelly and get it to something solid. The only thing I would trust the bumper for is the sewer hose. Going down the road the last thing you want to be is that guy. The bumpers are thin metal and the rack is going to be bouncing a lot creating all kinds of stress.
    2019 Chevy 3500 CC SRW Duramax
    2015 Reflection 323 BHS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On previous camper had weld breaking on bumper with cargo rack attached. The walls of most camper bumper are very thin to reduce weight and will not carry a load. The only safe way is to have cross member added that attaches to frame but keep in mind most frames are bare thickness also. Some campers are designed with extra strength bumper but most are not. One safe bike rack that I am seeing more and more of are attach to front A frame at front of camper.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rear bumpers are extremely thin. This option might work for you. https://mount-n-lock.com/all-product...bumper-failure
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 06-01-2019 at 06:00 AM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to do it is the way some MFG's do it. You want to run a piece of 2x2 tubing between the frame rails behind the bumper and below the bumper.
    Then weld the receiver to the underside of the bumper butting into the 2x2 tubing. You'll want to add some gussets where the receiver is welded to the bumper. I would use some 2 x 2 x 1/8 x 4" long angle for the gussets.

For the bike rack, you'll want one that's RV approved so it won't bounce all over the place.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivercityjeff View Post
    The rear bumpers are extremely thin. This option might work for you. https://mount-n-lock.com/all-product...bumper-failure

I have seen those struts. Doing a weld job to reinforce the bumper would do the same thing but in fact be better.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put one of these on mine. I carry a 300lb. scooter with no worries.
    https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...urt/13703.html
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still prefer bike racks that mount to front of camper on the a-frame; Etrailer.com has them. Bouncing does more harm than anything and with bikes on front you eliminate most of bouncing effect. If not go with BigSwick suggestion above it is best suggestion I have seen for mounting bike on rear of camper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast