User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is amazing! While I don't even dabble, I remember as a lad laying out in the back yard looking at the night sky. One of the advantages of growing up in the country then in a very small town.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the astronomy bug a tad.

Always up for some dark skies while camping. We have a Star Party once a year out side of Galax VA. We set up at Cool Breeze campground and have it for a whole week. We do live viewing using cameras and monitors A lot of the normal campers stop in to watch and enjoy the deep sky objects we show. We also broadcast live on https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/ while were there. I can't wait for this years event because I'll have the Imagine 2670MK to stay in. Years past I had my smaller trailer set up. The event is called ECVAR, East Coast Video Astronomy Rendevous . It;s really just a filed of nerds. LOL We have fun and the deep sky objects we view are nice under the dark skies. The Star Party has a simple site for a better idea of what it's about.
    https://nightskyobservatory.wixsite.com/ecvar All are welcome to attend and of course the regular campers are welcome to enjoy the show too.

Night Skies Network is free to watch and listen in and learn and if you want you can register and talk with others also. All while watching them produce nice deep sky images.

I have my little website also. http://nightskyobservatory.wixsite.c...skyobservatory Not the best site ,but kind of gives you the idea of what some of us are doing.

If someone wants to join in at ECVAR just let me know.
    Jim T.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice updates since I last checked in. It will be a few years till I get to experience the AZ skies but looking forward to it for sure.
    Going to have to check out the details of the Star Party in VA since it is righr next door to my home base in NC. Sounds like their focus is a little different than mine but I could sure learn a lot from them!
    We just recently spent a week out in the Smokies and the weather forecast was too unpredictable to motivate me to setup my scope, rain and clouds were a common theme, but ehen I was walking the dogs late one night things had cleared and the dark skies and number of stars almost shocked me! The Milky Way was as visible as I had seen it since the last time I was in my home in the Adirondack Mtns of NY.
    Which reminds me, if you are in the Northeast and are contemplating passing through northern NY there is now a very nice public observatory in my hometown of Tupper Lake NY. It is affiliated with many of the Colleges in northern NY and offers public viewing every Friday night in the summer. Just google Adirondack Public Observatory for for info...think they just changed their name as part of expanding their mission. Another must see stop while in the area is The Wild Center!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Tim & Sue..with pups Iris and Sam
    2019 Solitude 375RES; 2019 Ford F350 XLT Dually; B&W Companion 25K Hitch
    Previously camped with a 1993 26' Dutchman TT and 2007 Trailmanor 2720SL
    Retiring in 1.5+ years
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...pic22370_7.gif http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCVAsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right next door almost

Quote Originally Posted by ttooley View Post
    Nice updates since I last checked in. It will be a few years till I get to experience the AZ skies but looking forward to it for sure.
    Going to have to check out the details of the Star Party in VA since it is righr next door to my home base in NC. Sounds like their focus is a little different than mine but I could sure learn a lot from them!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Your right next door almost. I live in Madison NC. If you want further information on ECVAR just send me a message.
    We have a good time and everyone learns a ton.
    Jim T.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
    Your right next door almost. I live in Madison NC. If you want further information on ECVAR just send me a message.
    We have a good time and everyone learns a ton.
    By the way some of the Raleigh club members come to ECVAR also so you may know a few folks already.
    Jim T.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread. Having spent spring and summer of 2016 traveling through Utah, Colorado and Northern Arizona we were fascinated by the viewing of the open skies. Additionally as we spend at least two weeks in or around Cherry Springs State Park, a dark sky area in northern PA it's been in the back of my mind for quite awhile to pursue this fascinating hobby.
    However I know not where to start. What are some equipment suggestions for an entry level individual such as myself, budgetary expectations etc?
    Thanks in advance!
    Ralph

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RLB348 View Post
    Great thread. Having spent spring and summer of 2016 traveling through Utah, Colorado and Northern Arizona we were fascinated by the viewing of the open skies. Additionally as we spend at least two weeks in or around Cherry Springs State Park, a dark sky area in northern PA it's been in the back of my mind for quite awhile to pursue this fascinating hobby.
    However I know not where to start. What are some equipment suggestions for an entry level individual such as myself, budgetary expectations etc?
    Thanks in advance!
    Ralph
    Not a simple answer to the question. I can suggest websites where you can learn more about the hobby.
    Cloudy Nights is a very informative web site.
    https://www.cloudynights.com

another more intertaining website is Night Skies Network. It is a live interactive website where you can talk with others and watch with them as one of them broadcast live deep space views with their personal equipment.
    You can learn a ton from all of these people just by asking while they are on line broadcasting. You have to keep checking the site for someone to go live. A lot depends on weather nation wide.You know when a channel is live and you just click on that channel. To speak with everyone you have to sign up , but it is all free.

https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com

Hope these sites can help you.

Jim
    Jim T.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    Thanks for the information and the site links. I looked at both, and man you are indeed right. There is a lot of information to sort through.
    Fortunately/unfortunately I have the long winter ahead of me allowing me the time to research and decide how to proceed.
    Ralph

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ralph

Winter is a great time to watch NSN. A lot of clear nights and a lot of broadcasting. Most of it is on the weekends.
    Jim T.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I would call ourselves amateur astronomers.

When we were still living in San Jose we belonged to the San Jose astronomy an used to go to star parties through the club.

It has been 4 or 5 years since we did anything with our telescope.

Washington has a state park based around a observatory. They are also have volunteers that help run the park. Since our goal is to be full-timers, we might look into doing that some time in the future.

Have a good rest of the week and a great week end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast