User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow vehicle advice

I’m thinking about upgrading from my current Forest River hybrid to a GD Imagine, either 2400BH or 2800BH. I’ll also need to upgrade my tow vehicle. I’m well aware of the different weight limits including tow capacity, payload etc. I know an F-150 has plenty of tow capacity. Payload on the 150/1500 would be tight but manageable for my family of five. I’m really interested in feedback in the difference in tow experience between the 150/1500 and 250/2500 trucks. I’m assuming if I got the 150 I’d go with the long bed, so size would be about the same as the 250. I’d also get a gas engine in the 250 so cost would be about the same as a 150 with the 3.5L EB. So the only real difference I think would be gas mileage, which is important since it would be my daily driver. Assuming weights capacities are not a limiting factor, would people still prefer to have their 3/4 ton over 1/2 ton for the towing experience even if it sacrifices gas mileage? What else should I be considering? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarkson View Post
    I’m thinking about upgrading from my current Forest River hybrid to a GD Imagine, either 2400BH or 2800BH. I’ll also need to upgrade my tow vehicle. I’m well aware of the different weight limits including tow capacity, payload etc. I know an F-150 has plenty of tow capacity. Payload on the 150/1500 would be tight but manageable for my family of five. I’m really interested in feedback in the difference in tow experience between the 150/1500 and 250/2500 trucks. I’m assuming if I got the 150 I’d go with the long bed, so size would be about the same as the 250. I’d also get a gas engine in the 250 so cost would be about the same as a 150 with the 3.5L EB. So the only real difference I think would be gas mileage, which is important since it would be my daily driver. Assuming weights capacities are not a limiting factor, would people still prefer to have their 3/4 ton over 1/2 ton for the towing experience even if it sacrifices gas mileage? What else should I be considering? Thanks.
    I was in the same exact boat you are in..... and now having a 250, I consider myself crazy for even considering the 150. I test drove them all and I did love the way the 150 Long Bed drove, and I do drive a long way to work. There is no way I, personally would tow the 2800bh behind a 150. Not saying there aren’t people who do it and are satisfied, just giving you MY two cents. In fact, I am considering going with a bigger truck now. I’m sorry, but never compared the 2400. Hope this helps and whatever you chose hope it goes awesome for you!

Jim
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim, the 2400 is about 4 feet shorter and 500 pounds lighter than the 2800 so I’m guessing they would tow pretty similar. I noticed you have a 250 diesel. I assume I would get gas but would hate to regret not getting the diesel. Any thoughts on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarkson View Post
    Thanks Jim, the 2400 is about 4 feet shorter and 500 pounds lighter than the 2800 so I’m guessing they would tow pretty similar. I noticed you have a 250 diesel. I assume I would get gas but would hate to regret not getting the diesel. Any thoughts on this?
    I’ve owned 3 diesels, 2 tundras, a dodge 1500, and my first car was an old Nissan 4x4. Unfortunately for your situation, I’ve never owned a Gas Superduty, but I’ve read ample examples on this forum discussing that very thing. Strongly recommend you search those discussions, as it’s great first hand info! I LOVE my Diesel, and I understand that I’m in the minority here, but I’m a big fan of the new engine requirements & DEF etc etc. One stop at the Ford online forums and you’ll see I’m the worst person on the face of the earth for this but I can’t help it, my new diesel is much quieter and cleaner, and I don’t have to smell “that smell”. I’m a fan, plain and simple. That being said, everything about a super duty is more expensive, and diesel 4x4 makes it worse.

Jim
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just went through this over the kast 2 years. F150 5.0 litre. Crew cab. Loved the truck. It did NOT like the 6000lbs camper I was pulling at all. Could it haveben modified? Yeah but still bandaids. Went to the 3/4 ton crew cab gasser. Pulled the trailer like it wasnt there. But 13 mpg around town...and 17 best ever on the interstate. Loved everything about that truck. Bought a new GD 315RLTS was about the top end for the truck. Bought a 2019 F350 SRW diesel. 18.5 best so far on the interstate. Love this truck. Wish I would have.boughten it sooner. To me the diesel is worth every penny. I would highly advise it if you can afford.it.
    Believer

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another note to consider is the weight and suspension of the 3/4 ton trucks. They will be a little heavier and have a stiffer suspension. These will add to the towing experience and handling of the trailer. You may have a little stiffer ride when driving empty but towing with the 3/4 ton will be much better. We towed a TT with a chevy 1/2 ton and upgraded to a 3/4 ton and there was a big difference in handling while towing. My next upgrade was to a 1 ton single rear wheel , not much stiffer ride than the 3/4 ton but I gained payload, might be another consideration. Gas or diesel is your choice.

Brian

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mentioned payload of a F150 would be tight for a family of 5 with a 2400 or a 2800.

My recommendation is if your buying a new tow vehicle skip the 150 and go for a gas F250 or diesel F350 SRW to give you no issue with payload.

I had a 2016 F150XLT w/3.5L EB Towing a 2800 Bh. It had good towing power but the trailer was in charge. It got scary at times. Buying a $2,500 ProPride hitch solved 90% of the issue but by then my wife was reluctant to go anywhere with the 2800BH hitched up.

We traded the 2800bh in on a 337RLS and traded the F150XLT in on a F350 CCSB with Diesel. WOW, What a difference. We really literally forget the Reflection is behind us until I look in the rear view mirror. The truck is always in charge. The Diesel exhaust brake is awesome.

If you go for a 250 I recommend you go with gas engine or you will only have about 2100 lb payload with a F250 Diesel. If you can afford it, buy a F350 Diesel CCSB. Plenty of interior room, lots of payload (3500#s) lots of torque. Plus you are future proofed if you decide to upsize your trailer to a 5th wheel.

Our Superduty F350 is mainly used to tow our Reflection 337, tow a U-Haul trailer to move stuff or load stuff in the truck bed when needed. Our daily driver is a Nissan Leaf 100% electric car that costs us 2.5 cents per mile. Our new Nissan Leaf has a 250 mile range which meets 98% of our needs.

Here’s a picture of our F350 parked at our cabin next to our Nissan Leaf+ plugged into the charger.

Last edited by Jerryr; 05-31-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very helpful. Definitely torn between gas and diesel as most of our camping trips are weekend trips within 1-2 hours of the house so 90% of its use will be commuting to work. Although maybe I need to get an electric car for that! Makes sense to go with the 1 ton if I choose diesel to get the extra payload.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there another size upgrade in your future? When we would be upgrading we went with the 3500. I didn't want to run out of capacity either then or in the future, truck upgrades are too expensive. Haven't regretted it for one minute.
    2019 Reflection 312BHTS TT Sold

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas mileage is totally irrelevant when towing. What is important is safety, security and control. A 32 ft camper is pushing the envelope of capabilities of a half ton. A three quarter ton gasser will pull any Imagine or Reflection 150 series fiver. My Ram 2500 has a 3000 lb payload and is great pulling a 2800bh. Camper doesn't control the truck.
    2018 Imagine 2800bh
    2018 Ram 2500
    6.4 heni

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast