User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot water heater, electric.

A few months ago our hot water heater in our 2016 Solitude 375re just stopped working. It was set to electric, it was working fine it wasnt turn off or messed with at this point. It was working great for over 3 months.
    I can not find where the outlet could be plugged into. Thinking it may have just came unplugged.
    So far I have replaced everything from the heating element, breaker, control board and outside switch, nothing has worked. I contacted Grand Design and they told me to replace the control board, didnt work. Water heater works fine on propane, but not on electric. Anyone else have this issue with their Solitude?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The outlet that it is plugged into should be right behind it in the basement. You will have to remove the "false" wall to the rear of the pass thru storage to access this. You could check with a meter at the water heater element that you had replaced, when turned on you should have AC power there.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    The outlet that it is plugged into should be right behind it in the basement. You will have to remove the "false" wall to the rear of the pass thru storage to access this. You could check with a meter at the water heater element that you had replaced, when turned on you should have AC power there.

Brian
    I've removed the false wall several times and I've looked literally everywhere in on and around the hot water tank. No plug. I dont even see one feeding out from the front of it. It certainly isnt behind it. I will check the water heater element again though. I havent checked that again since I installed it and replaced other things.
    Anymore ideas please let me know! This issue is driving me nuts cause i cant figure it out.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi: Did your camper come with a manual book on how to install your heater and how to operate it? If so this could answer a lot of your questions. These manuals have answered a lot of my questions when I have an issue. Just a thought. Good Luck
    2018 Reflection 337RL / 2022 GMC Denali 3500HD CC LB Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My electric water heater didn’t work from new. No plug, hard wired in terminal box with relay inside basement on right side of tank. In my case a terminal had fallen off the relay. Simple fix, hard to get to!

You can see the black A/C line wire floating in the air! Note the metal box cover is removed in the photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB9C6D98-2489-4B75-80E1-B6B68ACC7591.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	702.8 KB 
ID:	20408
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add this is a relay that is switched with 12v (coil side) from the panel water tank switch. The relay side passes 120VAC to the electric heater element via the rubber covered circuit breakers in the outside cover/panel area of the tank.
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you check the breaker in the power panel?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water heater electrical relay

Well I finally discovered why our 2016 GD Solitude Suburban water heater was not working on the electrical side. We had traced it all of the way back to the relay which is in a box where these water heaters are hard wired not plug in. A loose connection (I think) which caused the wiring to burn up.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was gonna say, on my last 3 RVs the heater was direct wired...only the reefer had a plug

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk