Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progressive Industries EMS 50 HW-C

Howdy

Need a electrical little help with my progressive industries HW 50 C

I have the RV at home and decided to check to see if my new RV 30 amp outlet would work. This is also the first time I used my 30a cables. I know I should have gone with home 50a service but I was being penny wise and dollar foolish.

My home set up is the following:
    I have 30 Amp service coming from the house
    I have 2 - 30 amp power cords that are 50 feet long each
    I connected both 30 amp cords together
    I added the dog bone that goes from 30 amp or 50 amps
    I tied that into the 50 amp cord at the trailer

I turned on the main AC and it ran for hours without issues
    Although the coach was cooling it wasn’t cooling very fast
    My thermostat setting was cool auto low
    I increased it to cool auto hi

Later in the evening I went to check to make sure all was well and found that the AC was not running
    I also found that the fridge was not working and I did not have flashing lights on the microwave.

I checked the progressive industries monitor and it said that Line 2 Had an error code of E2 and PF2 which I understand is an open ground. Line 1 had no errors

As a test, I put the progressive industries unit in bypass mode everything was OK but I did not want to leave it that way

I turned off the home 30 amp RV breaker, disconnected the 30 amp cables and just plugged in the 120 extension cord using an additional 30 amp to 120 amp dog bone. Basically, I have a 50 to 30 and a 30 to 120

Now my refrigerator is working properly and I am not getting any errors on the progress of industries monitor. The microwave also shows power. Sadly, I can’t run the AC and it is hot during the day

I have previously used 50a service shore power with the HW-50C and had no issues

Questions:
    - Why would the original set up with the 30 amp cables have worked for several hours before crapping out. Note that although I’d like to say unequivocally that all was well, I can’t say so. I do know that the AC was running because I felt cold air coming from the bedroom ducts
    - I assume running in the bypass mode is not a good thing
    - I did drive over the 30a cables with my wife’s Subaru so am not sure if this could have contributed to the problem

We leave on Monday for a week of full hookup 50a camping hence the concern. I assume all will be well but am a bit nervous. Worse case, I can bypass the hw 50c, either by using the bypass button, or just taking it out of the equation

Any ideas on what my 30a issue might be?

Thanks
    Frank
    Frank and Harriett
    2018 303 RLS, Feb 2018 Build
    2009 2500HD Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have 2 ea 30 amp RV extension cords? That’s unusual.

Regardless, it Sounds like you lost a ground connection on either one of the 30 amp extension cords or the 30 amp outlet. It’s possible that driving over the cords may have caused the lost ground. What you need a a voltmeter and someone that can read it to verify the grounds at the extension cords and the House installed 30 amp RV outlet.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why you may have lost ground, but 2 extension cords, plus the shore cord, plus the adapter is a recipe for disaster.

You are probably losing a lot of voltage running through that combo.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The A/C compressor is probably running less effectively with lower voltage. Wonder what the EMS voltage reading is with the 2 extension cords?
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    The A/C compressor is probably running less effectively with lower voltage. Wonder what the EMS voltage reading is with the 2 extension cords?
    I believe the EMS voltage reading was around 110 but I will have to check again once I figure out the open ground issue
    Frank and Harriett
    2018 303 RLS, Feb 2018 Build
    2009 2500HD Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Short Bed
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not sure I get the two 30 amp extension cords?

Assuming you plugged those into a pigtail that goes from two female plugs to one male plug, I hope you know you still only have 30 AMP, and it's not like a 50 AMP circuit where you can have 50 AMP on each line... you are still drawing a max of 30 AMP.

I would try removing one of the extension cords and re-test the connection. See if either extension cord or the different adapters you are using are creating the loss ground condition.

If you get good power with one 30 amp extension, then test each air conditioner independently. Hopefully you haven't fried your A/C. If both work independently, on a 30 AMP connection, and clean power, then you should be okay on your trip. If one won't work on the 30 amp connection, having a 50 amp connection at the camp site won't make a different.. still won't work.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a problem with your 30 lamp service. Could be the cord you ran over or something else but something is wrong. I've a 30 amp service and the same progressive unit you have for my trailer for a few years and it works fine. Runs fridge and A/C and charges batteries all at the same time. If I have the trailer in the driveway I use two 30 foot 30 amp cords (bought them at the store) plus a 90 degree dog bone at the trailer connected to another dog bone for 50 amp to 30 amp conversion. I've had this setup for almost 3 years with no problems at all. I get 119 vac to 122 vac on my Progressive display with this setup. Not sure we're having disaster for dinner anytime soon.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Im not sure I get the two 30 amp extension cords?
    Mike
    I think the cords are connected end to end doubling the LENGTH so as to reach the outlet which is more than 50 ft away from the trailer.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I checked the the 30a outlet at the house and the 2 30a extension cords

I get 120v between hot and Neutral (white). I get nothing from ground to neutral and I get 120v from hot to ground.

I also tested the 30a to 50a dog-bone and it appears fine too

I decided to hook everything back up as it was yesterday to see if I still had the error. Now there is no error. Go figure

I started the main A/C and it works. The voltage on L-2 is 117v and the amp draw is 13a. L-1 is also at 117v and the amp draw is 3a

Now I’m even more confused. I will monitor this setup every few hours to see if anything changes

Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I use 2 30a 50’ cords hooked back to back due to the distance from the house to the RV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast