Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevy 3500 Duramilage module question

Has anyone used a ECM module like the Duramilage Module https://www.duramileage.com/ or Banks power module http://www.autoanything.com/brands/1...A&N=4294956655?

Is it worth the money or is it just a bunch of hype? I know a lot of people that add them in their Ford F350's, and only one person I know put one in his Dodge 3500, but I have not heard of anyone using them in the Chevy 3500HD. They say it boosts HP by 100 and fuel mileage by 2 to 4 miles per gallon.
    Glenn and Paula Butler
    2015 Momentum 328M
    2012 Chevy 3500 Dually
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cb1000rider
    Engineer here:
    Energy isn't free.
    How these modules gain HP is by running up boost and fuel past factory specs. A few more PSI, a bit more heat, a bit more fuel, and you gain HP. Basically violating the factory safety margins and emission standards.... Some would argue that the factor specs are pretty darn liberal.

Is this OK? Maybe. As long as EGTs are in check, perhaps.

Can you gain more MPG? Maybe - fuel in diesels is used to counter boost and keep exhaust gas levels lower. If we allow them to rise, a leaner mixture, the n you might get a few more MPG.

In terms of my HP, ask for Dyno runs - this is the ONLY way to properly tune a chip / tune. No dyno run = not safe, not as advertised. It's relatively easy to run up boost by intercepting the MAP signal (manifold pressure) - but it needs to be counter acted by adding more fuel.

More MPG, I find that a bit suspicious, but leaning the mixture, which induces more heat, it could be possible.

On modern diesels, say those running 800 ft/lbs or more and < 20k trailers, I would mess with it? Not personally. Does it work - yes, highly likely in terms of power. Do you get more MPG? No, not without violating factory safety standards...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cb1000rider,

WOW, that is well explained !
    Gasoline engineer here:
    I could have raised your points WRT gasoline engines, but was not confident to do this for diesel.
    Those considering some aftermarket engine calibration should consider cb1000rider's knowledge very carefully.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
    Engineer here:
    Energy isn't free.
    How these modules gain HP is by running up boost and fuel past factory specs. A few more PSI, a bit more heat, a bit more fuel, and you gain HP. Basically violating the factory safety margins and emission standards.... Some would argue that the factor specs are pretty darn liberal.

Is this OK? Maybe. As long as EGTs are in check, perhaps.

Can you gain more MPG? Maybe - fuel in diesels is used to counter boost and keep exhaust gas levels lower. If we allow them to rise, a leaner mixture, the n you might get a few more MPG.

In terms of my HP, ask for Dyno runs - this is the ONLY way to properly tune a chip / tune. No dyno run = not safe, not as advertised. It's relatively easy to run up boost by intercepting the MAP signal (manifold pressure) - but it needs to be counter acted by adding more fuel.

More MPG, I find that a bit suspicious, but leaning the mixture, which induces more heat, it could be possible.

On modern diesels, say those running 800 ft/lbs or more and < 20k trailers, I would mess with it? Not personally. Does it work - yes, highly likely in terms of power. Do you get more MPG? No, not without violating factory safety standards...

CB1000Rider,
    Thank you for your knowledge! that helps a lot! I knew it was too good to be true. Another reason I like this forum.
    Glenn and Paula Butler
    2015 Momentum 328M
    2012 Chevy 3500 Dually
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of the last 7.3 PowerStrokes with a high quality tuner pushing 60 hp tow and 80 hp econo modes. When my truck was new, it'd barely chirp the tires from a dead stop. With the 80 hp mode, I can do burn outs. If I hit my throttle @ 20 mph, I can see two long streaks of black rubber in my rear view mirror as I catch the turbo spooling up. It's downright fun to drive.

Much of the benefits of my tune come from a different transmission tow tune--one that holds the gears out longer. It also locks up the tranny @ 40 mph when it's in 3rd gear.

My truck went from 18 mpg on the interstate to 20 mpg--unloaded. Yes, a good tune will make your truck much more pleasurable to drive and more efficient. On the other hand, you have to be very careful to drive by a pyrometer so you don't cook your engine--especially on a long uphill grade towing a heavy 5th wheel trailer. A tranny cooler is also cheap insurance with hopped up diesels.

My tuner guy has sold many hundreds of tuners (if not thousands), and he has over 140 programs "in the can." He also does custom programming for those with big turbos and big oil systems. He told me he limits GM/Isuzu diesels to a 50 hp increase because the transmissions will not hold up to really large horsepower increases.

I suggest you sign into one of the big GM diesel forums to research who are the premier tuners for your brand--and see what those running tunes are saying. Just about every truck brand has 3-4 forums addressing these issues. For Fords, one I watch is TheDieselStop.com that has a bunch of ex-Ford and Navistar mechanical engineers addressing subjects like transmissions and engines.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're serious about adding some HP to your truck, reach out to John Kennedy at Kennedy Diesel. He's very reputable on a couple of the Duramax forums. He'll answer any questions you may have and build a tune to suit your needs.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fellow D-max here. Go with EFI Live and a reputable tuner. It will set your truck up perfect for towing and nontowing. I have done a lot of research, but dont have the extra mula to drop on it yet.

Cent frum my sell phone so pleeze excuse my spelling and grahmar.
    Zac and Charlene
    Frank and Bella (four-legged kids)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS- SteadyFast stabilizers, Oxygenics shower head, residential sink faucet, residential mattress.
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT- EFI Live, MBRP 4" exhaust, LBZ mouthpiece, AirLift Airbags, RDS 60G combo aux tank, and B&W turnover/Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I have one of the last 7.3 PowerStrokes with a high quality tuner pushing 60 hp tow and 80 hp econo modes. When my truck was new, it'd barely chirp the tires from a dead stop. With the 80 hp mode, I can do burn outs. If I hit my throttle @ 20 mph, I can see two long streaks of black rubber in my rear view mirror as I catch the turbo spooling up. It's downright fun to drive.

Much of the benefits of my tune come from a different transmission tow tune--one that holds the gears out longer. It also locks up the tranny @ 40 mph when it's in 3rd gear.

My truck went from 18 mpg on the interstate to 20 mpg--unloaded. Yes, a good tune will make your truck much more pleasurable to drive and more efficient. On the other hand, you have to be very careful to drive by a pyrometer so you don't cook your engine--especially on a long uphill grade towing a heavy 5th wheel trailer. A tranny cooler is also cheap insurance with hopped up diesels.

My tuner guy has sold many hundreds of tuners (if not thousands), and he has over 140 programs "in the can." He also does custom programming for those with big turbos and big oil systems. He told me he limits GM/Isuzu diesels to a 50 hp increase because the transmissions will not hold up to really large horsepower increases.

I suggest you sign into one of the big GM diesel forums to research who are the premier tuners for your brand--and see what those running tunes are saying. Just about every truck brand has 3-4 forums addressing these issues. For Fords, one I watch is TheDieselStop.com that has a bunch of ex-Ford and Navistar mechanical engineers addressing subjects like transmissions and engines.
    Right now I am getting 22 MPG unloaded and from a dead stop it will go sideways when the turbo kicks in if not in 4x4. I am currently stock, so I will try a air breather kit first. then more research.
    Glenn and Paula Butler
    2015 Momentum 328M
    2012 Chevy 3500 Dually
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just drove from Central Oregon to Sacramento and back (about 900 miles) and averaged just over 22mpg at 70mph unloaded. I get just over half that when towing my 5th wheel. I'm very pleased with the mileage. As for power, my truck goes up most hills while towing without even downshifting. It's incredibly powerful. There is no way I would modify the engine in my truck. I can't imagine needing more power in a truck. When I want excessive power in a car, I drive my 650HP Z06 :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

cb1000rider
    I have no direct experience with either module. You can do it one of two ways:
    1) Factory re-tune, actually alter settings in the factory ECM.
    2) Intercept signals and "trick" the ECU - manipulate the inputs and outputs to get the engine to do what you want.

Look, the power gains are real. At least with Bank's stuff - they should have actual dyno runs. Only the "modules" without dyno runs are snake oil. The HP comes from pushing more boost on conservative factory tunes. This is mostly safe when accompanied by appropriate amounts of more fuel. Eventually you need to watch EGTs.

More mileage? That one I don't buy as much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast