User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    I discovered after getting my new unit home that the dealer had installed a cheap group 24 battery. The trailer owners manual calls for a group 27. I don't think there is much difference in the two but I would expect what the manufacturer calls for. I called the dealer but have not gotten a response yet. Anyone else have this happen. It is a deep cycle battery with no dates or any info on the labels.
    We have a interstate group 24 in our 2014 303 that is now over 5 years old and still kicking. We bought our 303 out of state so I went to the 2 non GD here in town and asked what they put in their new rigs for delivery and they both said 24s so I never pursued a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I discovered after getting my new unit home that the dealer had installed a cheap group 24 battery. The trailer owners manual calls for a group 27. I don't think there is much difference in the two but I would expect what the manufacturer calls for. I called the dealer but have not gotten a response yet. Anyone else have this happen. It is a deep cycle battery with no dates or any info on the labels.
    Yep, I got a group 24 with mine, didn't know it was supposed to be a 27. I changed to dual 6v golf cart batteries.

I think you have good reason to expect a group 27 from your dealer.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am considering buying a Momentum 25G or 28G so thank you for the good info to know that the Battery cut off switch, does not actually cut off everything! Do you get a "free battery" with the purchase of a new trailer? Sorry your having problems with yours. "New" batteries can come defective and the manufacturer will often replace them within the first year if they fail. The Costco battery guy told me "if you get 3 years of service, your about average" and I usually get 4 - 6 years out of mine. I have tried 6vdc golf cart batteries - and they seemed worse than the usual 12vdc deep cycle batts I have used.

On our current trailer (2010 Keystone Outback 230RS) that has no factory battery cut off switch - I installed one of these (below) by drilling through the lid on the battery box, and attaching this switch to the lid, and having it switch all the power going into the trailer off. It works GREAT - and allows me to isolate the batteries by breaking the ground connection with this switch so my small solar panel can keep a float charge on the batteries all the time. (Through a inexpensive solar power controller also mounted on the battery box) Having your batteries "tended" with a float charge keeps them alive much longer than simply disconnecting them and leaving them alone for months at a time. Also a LOT easier than taking two batteries out to keep them on a home float charger! (I do have a chain and pad lock around the battery boxes keeping lessor thieves from taking them).

Hope you get your battery sorted out!

Beachnut

Here is the simple switch I used:

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01E16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Below is my Inexpensive small solar panel that I leave plugged into the batteries - locked to the trailer frame with a cable all the time:
    (I also have another 100 watt home solar panel (that I bought through Costco) that I use while dry camping, for real charging power)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told that our unit came with a group 24 (later learned should be 27). Dealer gave me option to upgrade to a 27 for a nominal fee. I did it n
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pointed out the group 27 statement from GD and the dealer installed two of them. Unfortunately the second one was in a typical TT box simply screwed to the basement floor. Installing a proper sealed box for the second battery with proper breathing/venting to the outside was my first modification.

I also use a solar 10W battery tender to keep my 28BH topped up between trips (sometimes several weeks). It has worked well for the better part of a year now. I use a 5W solar unit on my little trailer too. They are great.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123