User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    If the Amish craftsman that installed the roof vent cut the vent pipe short so it didn't seal to the vent cap on the roof, water and effluent could have backed up the vent pipe and leaked into the roof cavity. It wouldn't take much of a gap, 1/8 inch would flow nicely yet still ventilate to outside. It's my guess that's exactly what happened. I've read of someone that left their black tank flush on and had water running onto the roof and over the sides which is what should happen if the vent clears the roof and is sealed.

My heart goes out to the OP and if adjusters find the above, IMHO GDRV should shoulder some responsibility.

Attachment 20438
    Kim - I suspect you are right on. A picture posted by the owner or insurance adjuster of the vent pipe opening with the cap off could be quite telling.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Kim - I suspect you are right on. A picture posted by the owner or insurance adjuster of the vent pipe opening with the cap off could be quite telling.

Dan
    I'll be sure to mention this to the adjuster and see if they can get a pic when they tear it apart.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please, please, push your insurance company for it to be totaled. Do not settle your claim immediately. Mold can take time to get going. Your ins. co. May try and get you to settle asap. If you settle too soon and mold gets going(which it will), you might be in a world of trouble. There really is no way to get your rig mold and bacteria free if as you say, you had effluent coming thru the ceiling light(s).

With a small child you don’t want to take a chance with respiratory issues from mold spores.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Amish craftsman that installed the roof vent cut the vent pipe short so it didn't seal to the vent cap on the roof, water and effluent could have backed up the vent pipe and leaked into the roof cavity. It wouldn't take much of a gap, 1/8 inch would flow nicely yet still ventilate to outside. It's my guess that's exactly what happened. I've read of someone that left their black tank flush on and had water running onto the roof and over the sides which is what should happen if the vent clears the roof and is sealed.

My heart goes out to the OP and if adjusters find the above, IMHO GDRV should shoulder some responsibility.

Attachment 20438
    Sorry Kim..

I don't buy that for a NY minute !
    Even IF that were the case, effluent would've leaked UNDER the TPO roofing as well which WOULD obviously be a manufacturers defect...
    However... it is even more unlikely since there is a mounting escutcheon between roof and top of flange.

I cannot fathom GD and the RVIA protocols don't have a fail-safe built into a sanitary system to avoid fecal contamination.

I am NOT positive.... as I've never disassembled one YET !!!
    but just thinking out loud. [emoji2955]

Michael G

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RVIA protocols? Other then the “build ‘em as fast and as cheap as possible”, I doubt RVIA cares a rats whisker how these rigs are or aren’t vented.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Please, please, push your insurance company for it to be totaled. Do not settle your claim immediately. Mold can take time to get going. Your ins. co. May try and get you to settle asap. If you settle too soon and mold gets going(which it will), you might be in a world of trouble. There really is no way to get your rig mold and bacteria free if as you say, you had effluent coming thru the ceiling light(s).

With a small child you don’t want to take a chance with respiratory issues from mold spores.
    I agree, completly.

However, even though it was fresh water, it came out of the toilet so it's still considered "black water". From my mold remediation training (for residential and commercial buildings), because they can't remove and replace everything that the water touched it will have to be totalled. If they don't total it, like the possability (and probability) of mold several months down the road....they also run the risk of somebody getting one of the blood born diseases that black water causes.

I've read of other people having this issue and where they called the insurance company, it was always totaled.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnatho View Post
    Well, I’m an idiot. I thought I turned off a water hose we had on a Y connection, but I turned on the sewer flush with the tank closed. I left to the grocery store, returned an hour later to water gushing out of the rear of the trailer and the interior flooded. Water was even coming out of the ceiling lights. We are full time RVers and I’m still sick to my stomach that I did this. We have dried everything we can, but we unscrewed the underbelly and there is water in there. Insurance adjuster is coming to assess the damage to tomorrow. Has anyone ever done this? What should I expect to hear from the adjuster? Thanks in advance for your advice.
    What did the adjuster have to say?
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll admit I haven't pulled a vent completely out of my roof, but I do have 3 of these on my 315. Popped the cap off and I can see how this easily could have happened. Watched some You tube so now I'm a real armchair expert! The replacements were all 2 pieces, no escutcheon underneath, just the device itself that seals to the pipe above "grade" and a cap. One video showed how easily this could have happened. Go to the 30 second point.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnnP-BfTBE

You don't have to buy it and I respect your opinion. Just wanted you to know I wasn't making a flip analysis. I do see evidence of how this could have occurred.

I also have a vast knowledge of craftsmanship errors on my trailer. Currently having to deal with craftsmanship "errors" made when the walls were replaced. So far GDRV is standing behind it and is picking up the tab for all.
    I have finally been able to accept the fact that I own a
    BUILT ON FRIDAY/MONDAY TRAILER
    twice

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll admit I haven't pulled a vent completely out of my roof, but I do have 3 of these on my 315. Popped the cap off and I can see how this easily could have happened. Watched some You tube so now I'm a real armchair expert! The replacements were all 2 pieces, no escutcheon underneath, just the device itself that seals to the pipe above "grade" and a cap. One video showed how easily this could have happened. Go to the 30 second point.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnnP-BfTBE

You don't have to buy it and I respect your opinion. Just wanted you to know I wasn't making a flip analysis. I do see evidence of how this could have occurred.

I also have a vast knowledge of craftsmanship errors on my trailer. Currently having to deal with craftsmanship "errors" made when the walls were replaced. So far GDRV is standing behind it and is picking up the tab for all.
    I have finally been able to accept the fact that I own a
    BUILT ON FRIDAY/MONDAY TRAILER
    twice
    First, so sorry this happened to the OP. Hope her insurance company does the right thing and gets her a new trailer.

Using the word 'craftsmanship' when describing how our trailers are made (applies to most brands I'm sure) is certainly a bit of a joke. Things you can't see are thrown together without regard for real organization or proper function, IMO. It is surprising to me that most things seem to work in my rig.

I can also see (especially after watching that You Tube video) how fluids that might rise to the top of the tank vent could make their way into the roof cavity. In the video, the fixer didn't put any sealant between the vent pipe and the collar before he installed the cap. Fluids that might rise to the top of that pipe would surely hit that cap and back wash into that space between the pipe and the collar.

Hopefully OP has learned a valuable lesson. I never leave my flush hose attached and never leave it unattended when I am doing a back flush.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have sealed the pipe to the roof and the pipe to the collar. Any unsealed gap on the roof is a potential leak.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast