Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the 355 discontinued?

Hi All,

My wife and I have been looking at all sorts of toyhaulers on our quest to upgrade from a 20' MXT travel trailer/toyhauler (too much stuff and an 80lb lab) and on a whim decided to take a look at the Momentums.

Well, not sure if it was a good thing or bad because now that's all we can think about! Anything we see we immediately compare to a Momentum and it obviously doesn't stack up well for the competition. Now we just have to help justify the additional cost in our minds.

However - my question for this forum is whether or not the 355 is being discontinued. The model is still listed on GD's site - but mentions dealer stock only which leads me to believe they're not making it. We were lucky enough to see all three versions 385/380/355 at our local dealer and are leaning to the 355 for our needs (and the fact that it's slightly shorter). Just curious I guess.

Also - I've searched through this site and there's a lot of good info - but I'm looking for opinions on slide toppers. Are they recommended, nice to have or stay away? Any recommendations appreciated!

Thx
    Mike (MonkeyMan)

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 355 will be going away.

There are 2 new models coming to replace it, the 350 and 328 M-class Momentum's.

Both will be lighter than the previous Momentum's, with all the features that made the Momentum popular.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds interesting. I wonder if the new M frame will be similar to the X frame on the Solitude? Grand Design does the best job in the industry listening to it's customers, I would be interested in a lighter Momentum.
    Steve and Schlonda- Virgie, Kentucky
    2017 Momentum 328M
    Morryde 8K Independent Suspension, Disk Brakes
    2021 GMC Denali 3500 SRW
    Airlift Wireless Air
    B&W Companion Slider

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also - I've searched through this site and there's a lot of good info - but I'm looking for opinions on slide toppers. Are they recommended, nice to have or stay away? Any recommendations appreciated!

Thx
    Mike (MonkeyMan)[/QUOTE]

My wife and I were looking at fifth wheels for the last two years, and recently pulled the trigger on a 2015 Solitude 305RE. During that time we went back and forth on slide toppers, pros and cons. The first trip we made, I went topside to sweep the slides off. I did a visual inspection and noticed that the outermost seam had peeled back about an inch, for about a five inch stretch on two corners of the slides. At that point, the slides had been activated by us less than a dozen times. The tape on the seam went back into place, but not as good as it should have. I know that it will get worse and needs to be repaired. That situation made my decision easy to not have toppers installed, at this time. The good thing is that it forces me to go topside, prior to retracting the slides, as they need to be sweep off. While I am up there, I do a visual of the entire roof, and the top of the slides.

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Northfield Center, Ohio

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post

My wife and I were looking at fifth wheels for the last two years, and recently pulled the trigger on a 2015 Solitude 305RE. During that time we went back and forth on slide toppers, pros and cons. The first trip we made, I went topside to sweep the slides off. I did a visual inspection and noticed that the outermost seam had peeled back about an inch, for about a five inch stretch on two corners of the slides. At that point, the slides had been activated by us less than a dozen times. The tape on the seam went back into place, but not as good as it should have. I know that it will get worse and needs to be repaired. That situation made my decision easy to not have toppers installed, at this time. The good thing is that it forces me to go topside, prior to retracting the slides, as they need to be sweep off. While I am up there, I do a visual of the entire roof, and the top of the slides.

Gord and Janet Fuchs
    Northfield Center, Ohio
    Thanks Gord - I actually hadn't even considered the need to sweep debris and the opportunity to get a look at the slides....guess I'm still learning.

I'll keep it in mind as we continue our 'journey'.

Loaded 385TH
    Hello I do not know about the 355 is being discontinued I will ask my contact at Grand Design for you! Here are some pictures of the new 350M M-Class
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 350M Exterior 2nd Proto - 9-19-14.jpg   350M Garage 2nd Proto - 9-19-14.jpg   350M Patio 2nd Proto - 9-19-14.jpg   350M Livingroom 2nd Proto - 9-19-14.jpg   350M Kitchen 2nd Proto - 9-19-14.jpg  

Loaded 385TH
    Some More pictures of the 350M M-Class
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 350M Entertainment 2nd Proto - 9-19-14.jpg   350M Bathroom 2nd Proto - 9-19-14.jpg   350M Bedroom 2nd Proto - 9-19-14.jpg  

Loaded 385TH
    I see Grand Design Website on the 355TH says Dealer Stock only and their are 17 of them left on RV Trader witch are all 2014's models.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loaded 385TH View Post
    Some More pictures of the 350M M-Class
    Wow - the 350 M-Class looks pretty cool.....it's time to stop looking.

Any idea timing and MSRP?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding opinions on slide toppers......

I have had 4 different trailers w/slides and have not had toppers on any of them. I believe it comes down to personal preference.

I believe some debris (leaves, pine needles, etc) can still blow up under the toppers, so you would still have to clean the slides
    before retracting sometimes. I have also heard that they tend to flap a lot in a strong breeze. That would be annoying to me.

If I camped more often in blazing hot environments, I might give them more consideration just for the insulation value.
    I will say however, my current GD Reflection 337 is the first one we have owned where the head of the bed is directly in a slideout.
    The sound of that pounding rain on a recent trip had me thinking some about a topper to deaden the sound.

Just my 2 cents.......
    Ken & Wilma
    Central Maryland
    2014 Reflection 337RLS #439
    2011 F250 CC 4x4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast