User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing Grand Design 28BH

Hi, I am looking for some guidance. My wife and I are considering buying the Reflection 28BH 5th wheel and were wondering everyone thoughts on towing it with our 2016 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L.

We have approximately 2600-2700 lbs of payload and 4.10 rear end, so was wondering if anyone is towing with this type of gas 3/4 ton engine and their experience with 28BH.

I know I won't be winning any races up hill, but just curious if it will perform safely and functional for the 4-5 trips a year we take. We live in eastern PA so we do come across some bills but don't have any current plans for cross country trips, etc.

Essentially right now am very unlikely to make switch to 1 ton diesel, so may have to stick with current 33' travel trailer weighing about 7-8k.

Again all input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the numbers, you should be fine.

Like you already know, you won't be the first to the top of a hill, but the 6.0 is still a good motor.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know how your truck performs with your 7-8k TT. The 28BH has a gross of 10995# , dry weight around 9000#. From this you can guess how your truck will do.
    I think it is all in what you will be comfortable with.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow my 28BH with that same setup. It tows just fine, it is a little sluggish getting up to speed but once you get up there it is no problem at all. You should be prepared to average about 9 miles per gallon while towing

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2800BH Imagine which I pull with a 09 Ram 2500 5.7 hemi. It tows just fine on the flat like it's not even there but based on my experience pulling my rock crawler on a trailer in the mountains it's going to be like mentioned above "not going to be the first to the top" but it will get there.
    2022 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins
    2022 Reflection 320 MKS
    My other toy is a Pontoon boat
    Pontoon captain same as a regular captain only drunker ;-)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My previous set up was a 2003 Silverado SS with 6.0 LS engine. It was a higher performance version back then and had the same 380 lb/ft of torque as your current 2016 GMC. I towed a 30ft lightweight trailer, 5200lb dry, 6500 gvw. It towed superbly, the only issue being steep grades. 6% grade would have the truck in second gear and turning 4000 - 4500 rpm to maintain 45-50 mph. That engine would run that rpm and more all day long. I wouldn't worry about the engine. The SS had the 4 speed trans, your 6speed should be an asset for towing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knl8229 View Post
    Hi, I am looking for some guidance. My wife and I are considering buying the Reflection 28BH 5th wheel and were wondering everyone thoughts on towing it with our 2016 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L.

We have approximately 2600-2700 lbs of payload and 4.10 rear end, so was wondering if anyone is towing with this type of gas 3/4 ton engine and their experience with 28BH.

I know I won't be winning any races up hill, but just curious if it will perform safely and functional for the 4-5 trips a year we take. We live in eastern PA so we do come across some bills but don't have any current plans for cross country trips, etc.

Essentially right now am very unlikely to make switch to 1 ton diesel, so may have to stick with current 33' travel trailer weighing about 7-8k.

Thanks!
    I pull a 28bh. I used to have a 2012 F250 with the 6.7 diesel. It pulled it fine, but I run heavy and was over on my payload. Once I added solar I went to a F350 to get a bit more breathing room. Given you have a gas motor I would think the payload should not be an issue and you should be fine. I found an old CAT ticket from before I did my solar upgrade and I was running 1,640 pin weight loaded for camping.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knl8229 View Post

Thanks!
    We pull 27RL , same weight , for about 16000 miles including western and eastern mountains, truck is same as yours, payload sticker is 2750lbs. It has been a good set up. Will not win a hill climb but keeps up with the semi’s. Average 8.3 last year, this spring in the east closer to 9 mpg. You should do well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to everyone who has posted so far. All feedback is appreciated. We do know that someday a diesel may be in our future but if not needed right away that's even better.

I'm feeling more confident that this 5th wheel is perfect for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter and her husband pull a 28BH with a Ram 2500 6.4 gasser with no issues. They've run the WV turnpike up and down. Not the fastest and not the slowest. Not grossly overweight. You should be fine for weekend warrior type camping. BTW it's a great floorplan, I say go for it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    2019 377MBS-R
    2017 Ford F350

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast