Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to 5th wheels and Grand Design!! Which hitch to go with??

Hello All, We just purchased a Momentum 351 and pick it up this Friday!! We have towed travel trails but are brand new to 5th wheels. My husband asked me to research hitches and I didn't think it would be too difficult but I'm starting to wonder if he was trying to make me go crazy!! Any help you could provide would be most helpful. Our TV is an F-350 long bed with dually wheels (after reading on forum here we decided to go with the dually). It is prepped with the puck system. I've been looking at B&W, Anderson, Reese Titan. Any thoughts on these or others?? Would like something that is easiest to hook/unhook, one person can take out, and limits chucking and bucking.

Since we have a long bed I'm assuming we do not need sliders??

What about a pin box?

Thank you so much for any help!!
    Last edited by Ready2Go; 06-04-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of the three hitches you mentioned, I like the B&W the best. Most of the commercial haulers that bring them to us use it.

I wouldn't worry about the pinbox unless you experience chucking when it is loaded.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready2Go View Post
    ... and limits chucking and bucking. Since we have a long bed I'm assuming we do not need sliders??
    If you REALLY want to limit chucking/bucking/bouncing, etc - look at the Hensley BD5 air bag hitch. It's not cheap but it will give you a very smooth ride. It drops right into your factory puck holes. It costs double what other good hitches cost but offers a Cadillac smooth ride for you and your RV. And you are correct, you don't need a slider hitch with a long bed truck.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love our Andersen. I do not know if they make one for the puck system. It was the only one light enough for me to remove on my own.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    If you REALLY want to limit chucking/bucking/bouncing, etc - look at the Hensley BD5 air bag hitch. It's not cheap but it will give you a very smooth ride. It drops right into your factory puck holes. It costs double what other good hitches cost but offers a Cadillac smooth ride for you and your RV. And you are correct, you don't need a slider hitch with a long bed truck.
    Thank you for the recommendation!! I checked out the BD5 and if we had a little more money to work with I think I would go with it. Unfortunately a MH we are finally trading in has had so many repairs in the past it has dented our savings. Can't wait to be rid of it!!!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Out of the three hitches you mentioned, I like the B&W the best. Most of the commercial haulers that bring them to us use it.

I wouldn't worry about the pinbox unless you experience chucking when it is loaded.

Thank you Steve! I appreciate your recommendation.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    I love our Andersen. I do not know if they make one for the puck system. It was the only one light enough for me to remove on my own.
    I did not check about the puck system being compatible with with Andersen. I will have to dig a little deeper on that. Thank you for responding!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice on your truck. I have a 2017 F350 DRW 6.7L with the factory puck system & ordered it from Ford with the 5th wheel prep & their 5th wheel hitch. Ford provides the Reese hitch & I’ve put over 21K miles on our Solitude 310GK already with ZERO ISSUES. Not the most fancy hitch on the market but it has handled the 21K tow miles on the GD factory king pin just fine!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another quick note, with your long bed you are correct, you should not need sliders, I can do 180 degrees beneath the trailer without striking anything (just don’t forget to close your tailgate!).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Anderson hitch, my wife can take out easily, no grease and I get my truck bed back when we stop. It fits under the bed cover when 27RL is not attached.
    I had ordered the 5th wheel package with the truck, so I just bought the Anderson equipment and hooked it up in 10 minutes.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast