User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A F-250 and a SRW F-350 Are Nearly Identical Trucks

A F-250 and a SRW F-350 are nearly identical trucks. That statement is admittedly provocative to some, but it shouldn’t be because it is a simple statement of fact. I can already feel the heat. I am not saying that the same is true of RAM; I know they de-tune the 2500 version of the Cummins and it has a coil spring rear suspension as opposed to the leaf springs on the 3500. I know nothing about GM. I have owned Ford trucks all my life so I will only speak of what I do know.

It is not my intent to discuss GVWR, payload, GCWR or towing capacity. That is a separate discussion. How those numbers impact your towing/hauling decisions is up to you.

I have seen it stated in various forums (including this one) that my initial statement if a total fabrication that is only made by F-250 owners who are towing way over their limits and find it necessary to justify their actions. The justification part may be true, but it has no bearing on the absolute truth that from a mechanical standpoint, Ford’s ¾ and 1-ton SRW trucks range from very similar to nearly identical.

Since the inception of the Super Duty, there have only been minor differences between the F-250 and F-350. Between 1999 and 2016, this was made obvious by the minimal difference in price…I think the F-350 was something like a $300 upgrade. At various times, that $300 might have bought you a taller block in the rear suspension (so you could add more payload and remain level) and possibly “a slightly larger center section” in the rear axle. There may have been other minor differences, but the point is that they were very minor. Case in point: My 2005 F-250 with the camper package and F-350 blocks was the same truck as a comparable F-350. This is mostly accepted as undisputed fact in the Ford truck world.

Things changed some in 2017 with the release of the latest generation of Super Duty. The diesel F-350 actually received a different rear axle (Dana M275) than the standard F-250 (Sterling 10.5”). A 6.7 F-250 can be optioned (High Capacity Trailer Tow Package) with the M275 eliminating that difference. The cost of the HCTTP is just about the same as the F-350 upgrade. It should be since the end result of the option is a F-250 equipped with the most significant upgraded component that comes standard on a F-350, that beefier rear axle. The only area where the F-250 cannot be optioned identically to the F-350 is in the leaf springs. Max for the F-250 is 3 in the main pack plus the overload while the F-350 has 4 in the main pack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	springs.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	20466

There is an obvious error in the chart above. Line 2 should read F-350 and line 3 should be F-250. The variance in spring deflection rates is minimal. Here is a little editorialization: Aftermarket rear suspension upgrades are readily available and relatively inexpensive. Increasing the load handling capability (please relax, I didn’t say capacity) of the rear end by adding air bags, add-a-leaf, Timbrens, StableLoads, or a complete set of heavy duty leaf springs are some of the most popular upgrades for owners of both F-250s and F-350s. Of course, these upgrades are actual mechanical enhancements and cannot under any circumstance alter what really matters…stickers. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Now that we have discussed the difference(s), let’s talk about what is the same. Literally everything else. The following is taken directly from the Super Duty specifications published by Ford. Please note that on these charts, without exception, there is no distinction between the SRW trucks. F250/F350 are combined on every line and/or column. For many items there is no distinction between F250/F350/F450. That is because the components are exactly the same! I can assure you that Ford does not manufacture or purchase different parts, with identical specifications for F-250s and F-350s. That would not make any sense from an engineering, efficiency, financial or logical standpoint.

Front axle (even the F-350 DRW shares the same front axle):

Name:	axle.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	20467

Brakes:

Name:	brakes.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	20468

Engine (only one specification per engine is available with no distinction between models):

Name:	Engine.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	20469

Frame (F-250 through F-450 share a common frame):

Name:	Frame.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	20470

I could keep going until every component has been identified (and I tried but there's a max of 5 uploads); cooling system, fuel system, steering, shock absorbers, front coil springs, wheels, transfer case, automatic transmission (all diesels get the same), etc. Every one of those components is common to both trucks.

This very clearly shows that every component (except the leaf springs) is by default, or can be optioned to be, identical in both the F-250 and F-350 SRW. Many are common to all Super Duties. What does this all mean in the end? I don’t know, that’s up to the individual. I do know that we are all better off when armed with facts as opposed to opinions, speculation, conjecture, supposition, extrapolation and hyperbole. Now that you know the facts about the actual mechanical differences (or lack thereof) between the F250 and F-350, do with it what you will.

I have donned my fire suit so bring it on. All I ask is that you do what I have done. Please state published facts and show us written evidence of the mechanical differences between the F-250 and F-350. I know this is too long and I apologize. If you made it to this point, you must be hard core! Or maybe you're just another F-250 owner desperately seeking validation.

By the way, all things being equal (which they often aren't), I highly recommend purchasing a F-350 over a F-250. Why wouldn't you want the capability and the sticker? If you already own a F-250 and are thinking of taking a bath by trading it for a SRW F-350, just realize what you're actually gaining...very little of substance and nothing (other than the sticker) that can't be had relatively inexpensively through the aftermarket. Now if you're looking to go from SRW (250 or 350) to DRW (350 or 450), that is a totally different story. That upgrade is much more than a sticker and by almost all accounts, well worth the investment if you are at or over the capability of a SRW truck.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	Popeye Why I oughta.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	20471

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are truly interested in finding the truth, visit a Ford dealership and tell them you need some internal parts for the rear end of a 2014-2016, and probably a lot of years prior to that. Tell them you need an axle spline, or a axle bearing or some other INTERNAL part of the rear end. Most likely the first thing they are going to ask for is the VIN number so that they can reference which truck you have....and F250 or an F350....and of course I'm talking about SRW F350 trucks, not the Dually. The reason for that is some of the internal inside the axle are different......size wise, part number wise of course, and probably other things, like number of splines on an axle shaft, ect. The entire rear axle part number is the same, but the internals are different, at least in those model years mentioned. I can't comment on the 2017 model year and up.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I acknowledged in my initial post that there was a difference in the rear axles of the previous generations. I have read differing accounts of exactly what the difference was or exactly what years it was applicable to. By all accounts it is not a significant upgrade. Axles are never the weak link of these suspension systems anyways. All of them are designed and rated for heavier duty applications than these pickups.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    A F-250 and a SRW F-350 are nearly identical trucks. That statement is admittedly provocative to some...
    I'll call your provocative statement and raise you an even more inflammatory statement:
    Assuming your taxes and registration costs are the same (like in Oregon), I don't understand why anybody would ever buy a 3/4 ton truck - for any reason.

I understand where 1/2 ton trucks are useful. No problem there. But, when it comes to an HD truck for towing/hauling heavy loads like an RV, the 3/4 ton truck makes no sense to me. The 1 ton gives you the same ride when empty but 1,000+ pounds more payload when loaded. Why would anybody want less payload in an HD truck? That's like having the choice of two engines that cost the same but you choose the one with less power.

Now I understand there is a slight price difference depending on the manufacturer. The last time I checked GM actually charged about $200 less for a 1 ton. Ford charges around $300 more. Not sure about RAM. On a $60,000-$80,000 truck this price difference IMO is insignificant.

Before you guys jump all over me, remember I said I'm assuming the taxes and registration are the same. If the costs to register a 1 ton truck in your jurisdiction are significantly higher, I totally understand why you might choose a 3/4 ton over a 1 ton. Ok, now you can jump all over me!!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I'll call your provocative statement and raise you an even more inflammatory statement:
    Assuming your taxes and registration costs are the same (like in Oregon), I don't understand why anybody would ever buy a 3/4 ton truck - for any reason.

I understand where 1/2 ton trucks are useful. No problem there. But, when it comes to an HD truck for towing/hauling heavy loads like an RV, the 3/4 ton truck makes no sense to me. The 1 ton gives you the same ride when empty but 1,000+ pounds more payload when loaded. Why would anybody want less payload in an HD truck? That's like having the choice of two engines that cost the same but you choose the one with less power.

Now I understand there is a slight price difference depending on the manufacturer. The last time I checked GM actually charged about $200 less for a 1 ton. Ford charges around $300 more. Not sure about RAM. On a $60,000-$80,000 truck this price difference IMO is insignificant.

Before you guys jump all over me, remember I said I'm assuming the taxes and registration are the same. If the costs to register a 1 ton truck in your jurisdiction are significantly higher, I totally understand why you might choose a 3/4 ton over a 1 ton. Ok, now you can jump all over me!!
    That is an excellent question and one that gets asked often. Clearly there is a much larger market for F-250s than F-350s. All you have to do is walk a Ford dealer's lot. I would bet a dime to a dollar that 250s outsell 350s at least 3 to 1, probably more. Some of that is probably tax/registration/license issues. Also, a vast majority of buyers never consult a forum where everyone tells them that they need a F350 to tow just about anything.

I have a good reason for owning a F-250. I knew exactly what I was doing and ordered this truck to my exact specifications. My employer pays me $700 a month and gives me a fuel card. It doesn't matter if I'm driving for work or on a road trip towing my trailer. Class 3 vehicles are not eligible for the program so a 350 was out of the question. So, am I an idot or a genius? Clearly, driving a F-250 is a "sacrifice" I'm willing to make.

To get back on track, I'm looking for someone to provide evidence refuting the information I provided that clearly indicates that the mechanical differences between a current F-250 and F-350 are minimal.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    ... I'm looking for someone to provide evidence refuting the information I provided that clearly indicates that the mechanical differences between a current F-250 and F-350 are minimal.
    I think most people understand the mechanical differences are minimal but the difference in payload capacity and ratings is significant.

If somebody paid me $700/month to drive an F250 and zero to drive an F350, I'd be driving an F250 too! That's easy
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well looks like this is settled. Overload the hell out of those 3/4 ton trucks because they are all the same as the 1 ton. Wait.....nearly.

For me, I'll choose to never do this and will trust the certifications on each individual truck myself and to not exceed them. I've seen the differences in calibration, and hardware that can be invisible to the customer and feel comfortable in my decision. You obviously feel comfortable in yours.

Send me a PM with your resume and I will help you land an engineering job in Michigan where you can educate all of us that design, build and test these vehicles.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-04-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Well looks like this is settled. Overload the hell out of those 3/4 ton trucks because they are all the same as the 1 ton. Wait.....nearly.

For me, I'll choose to never do this and will trust the certifications on each individual truck myself and to not exceed them. I've seen the differences in calibration, and hardware that can be invisible to the customer and feel comfortable in my decision. You obviously feel comfortable in yours.

Send me a PM with your resume and I will help you land an engineering job in Michigan where you can educate all of us that design, build and test these vehicles.
    I presented Ford's specifications as evidence. By any objective measure it is pretty compelling. Your talk of differences in "calibration and hardware" is interesting but unsupported. Every piece of hardware (with the exception of the leaf springs) identified in the Ford Specification is identical. It is in black and white. Is Ford recalibrating the engine output in the 350 and keeping it a secret? That would be some marketing genius! At no point did I state that the limits assigned to a particular vehicle are irrelevant. My only point is that the parts and pieces that make up the F-250 and F-350 the same. Why is that such blasphemy?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all the things that count are basically the same, then why even worry about the sticker. We can have the debate whether or not the sticker is worth the paper it's printed on. Some people swear by it, and believe the truck will self implode if exceeding the payload by a pound, and others use all the specifications to help make fully informed decisions.

I'll admit Im 10 lbs over my payload, fully loaded, ready to camp, but well under my axle ratings. I'll not lose any sleep over exceeding payload.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast