User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=FordmanNJ;238262]Hello GDRVOG,

After several days of discussion and waiting to review time off policies, my wife and I are in the process of planning a trip to the Outer Banks, NC this year as our summer vacation trip. Our plan is to go at the end of July and into August. I have been doing some homework on this matter like routes, campgrounds, activities/ things to see or do, etc. Here is what I got so far....

Trip Route...

This is our first long distance trip with the new trailer. I wanted to do one when we first got the trailer but the timing was not there at the time. We had a shorter more locally planned trip prior to our purchase of the trailer which worked out well since we had a minor issue for the dealer to take care of which they handled well. The other nice thing with the local trips were the ability to get use to the new trailer. Going from a shorter and lighter trailer to our current trailer 285BHTS there was some learning curve in towing characteristics. Now I feel better about the handling of the trailer and the like. I tend to know what to expect. So without further ado let's get down to route.

Our current revision of the plan has us starting from a local campground in which we are staying for the weekend. The CG is on the PA side of the Delaware close access to Route 80 and other roads heading for getting South. Google maps has a route with us going basically 611/33/22/476/95 to get into Delaware. Within DE, I believe it is 95/13/1 junction to take 1 down most of DE to 113 to 13 into MD. 13 through VA to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel. Out of the CBBT onto 13 some more to I 64 to 168 into NC 168/158 then on 12. Which eventually leads to the campground.

611 can be an adventure of a road to trailer on. I have done it with both the old trailer and the current one. Just hilly with some blind spots. I'm tending to think about getting on to 80 to 33 for just on the basis of ease of travel. I have been on the road down to Dover in a car but that's about it. Nothing more than that. I have towed for work and our first trailer around the Philly area and am familiar with PA turnpike NE extension. So I know what to expect road and traffic conditions. However, I have never really been on the roads in DE/MD/VA and NC in this direction. Many years ago (think early 90s), my family and I camped in the Delmarva area in Chincoteague. I vaguely remember the trip but not the ride. What's the ride like? What should I expect? Is it going to be OK with trailer in tow? Is this a fairly popular route for RVers? Any helpful advice with this route? I read up on the CBBT and that should not be an issue height wise and I generally adhere to turning off the Propane during the transit of the bridge tunnel. What is it like to pull on NC12? What should I expect there? Any and all advice welcome with this one.

Campground recommendations...

Right now I have found a number of places. They are all over in price and amenities including access to the beaches. Some have beach access right from the resort. Others you are driving for 10 minutes. Of course it all comes for a price. Some places look like it's in someone's backyard. Others have paved roads, concrete pads, and full hook ups which is nice for showers and the like. I have been looking at Camp Hatteras RV resort which is on the more expensive side but seems to offer more with that price. Has anyone here been there? Anything good or bad to say? The wife seems interested in the place as well. She likes the locale as it would be centrally located for a couple of day trips. However we are all ears on suggestions.

Outside activities....

My wife is now getting more involved on this side of the planning. I gave some input on my end. Wright Brother NHS, Cape Hatteras National seashore, and possibility of a trip up to Corolla for some 4 wheeling sight seeing trip. My daughter wants to check out Roanoke since they learned about this in school. She now a fascination of the lost colony story. My wife is fine with going to a nature preserve/ national park area to look for wild life and have our daughter get involved with a junior ranger program and so forth. However one my biggest things I have in request is to sit on the beach and do nothing but stare at the ocean and drink beer. LoL Anything else that is worth checking out. I did read the posting below as well. Pretty much on par what we have going on in the pre planning stages.

Been to Camp Hatteras couple times. Nice place, lots of amenities. My son stayed down the road, cheaper but nothing except a pool. You're right tho, some of them are just like someone's back yard. Travel to things to do is longer than it looks like. I was surprised how long it is to get back to Kitty Hawk or to the Hatteras lighthouse. Did the ferry to Oakracoke Island, only had to do it once. Did like the museum before we got on the ferry, tho. Far as travel, I always use 13 thru DE. Only traffic lights are at the upper end. Always hated that 113 went down to 2 lanes, but I think they've been widening that part. I got stuck behind a septic tank truck, so pulling a triple axle TH, no way to get around! In all of the years I've gone over the CBBT, never had a wind restriction. Just went over Memorial day, dually pickup and triple axle trailer was $29 each way. I run propane for fridge till I stop at toll booth, just pull over after the booth and shut it off. We were used to the hustle of Myrtle Beach, so OBX was a big change for us.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by dually mike View Post
    Been to Camp Hatteras couple times. Nice place, lots of amenities. My son stayed down the road, cheaper but nothing except a pool. You're right tho, some of them are just like someone's back yard. Travel to things to do is longer than it looks like. I was surprised how long it is to get back to Kitty Hawk or to the Hatteras lighthouse. Did the ferry to Oakracoke Island, only had to do it once. Did like the museum before we got on the ferry, tho. Far as travel, I always use 13 thru DE. Only traffic lights are at the upper end. Always hated that 113 went down to 2 lanes, but I think they've been widening that part. I got stuck behind a septic tank truck, so pulling a triple axle TH, no way to get around! In all of the years I've gone over the CBBT, never had a wind restriction. Just went over Memorial day, dually pickup and triple axle trailer was $29 each way. I run propane for fridge till I stop at toll booth, just pull over after the booth and shut it off. We were used to the hustle of Myrtle Beach, so OBX was a big change for us.
    Thanks for the feedback on the campground situation and the general route guidance. Sounds like it should be a good choice of direction and of course campground. I have the ez pass in the truck so I will deal with the bill when I get home. I know there is going to be a few tolls on the trip.

Tonight my wife and I were talking after work. She was saying how much she is now looking forward to the trip. She was talking with her father about the trip planning. He remembered about how much fun they had in the past. Her father and stepmother would take everyone down to OBX every year or so. They would rent a huge house and invite everyone to come down with them. I think her step sister and step brother would come down. Everyone's friends and so forth. So my wife is now looking forward in going back to OBX. I think that's why she might be getting more into it. I said I'm just interested in getting down there and taking it from there. We are hoping to be there by 10 PM. I spoke with the office I will just do a slide out and live off the battery for the night and deal with the next morning set up if needed. However, I got my daughter on board with helping setting up the trailer. She knows what buttons to push and the utilities to bring out of the pass thru when setting up. What can I say she wants to help set up and break down. Who can argue with that? lol

I think we have a list of good ideas for places to go, places to eat at, and places to hang out at. So we will see where this adventure takes us.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also stayed at Camp Hatteras. Chose the sound side and got a sound front site. Beautiful sunsets over the sound. The beach side of the campground is across the road. We’d ride our bikes over there and park at the little pavilion with private beach access. The beach side is nice, but beach front is really “dune front” since you cannot see the ocean from the beach side. Well, unless you climb up on the roof of your coach. The sites are spacious but there are no trees on either side. Due to the constant breeze/wind, we only deployed our awning once for maybe 30 mins. The kids loved the indoor and outdoor pools. There’s an ice cream shop just a couple of minutes walk from the entrance. Just a heads up. - Mosquitoes seemed more prevalent on the sound side and somehow managed to cut through the breeze and seemingly coordinate their attacks.

If you sign up with the OBX Visitors Bureau (or guide - can’t recall exactly), you can get 10% off your daily rate at Camp Hatteras which made it even less than the KOA.

We’re planning a return trip late September when the rates drop a little, the weather is still plenty warm, and there are fewer people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are headed to the outer banks this weekend.

We are coming from I81 so I guess I need to travel 64\168\158\12?
    would this be correct.

Thanks.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw this post and realize you are probably leaving now but just in case or for the next person I'll give my 2 cents. I live off of rt 476 a bout 2 miles from the Lansdale exit between Philadelphia and Allentown. I travel both ways of the route you mention several times a year now. First I'll say from your start point forget rt81 it's just too far out of the way. I take as well you are leaving on a weekend, like Saturday or a Sunday. Also I might add that trip is too far to do in one day. I break it up with an overnight (or several) stay.
    Rt 33 to 78 will get you onto rt 476 southbound with minimal fuss and are decent roads. Rt476 to the mid-county interchange (end of the toll road for you) is relatively painless as well. Get off at mid-county and take 476 south to 95. This next 25 miles or so is the only real bottle neck but you should have left early so you are in front of the congestion. By 11:00 AM both these roads get full. Just over the Delaware state line is the exit for rt495 this will get you smoothly around Wilmington with minimal fuss and you can get a good look at the upper Delaware Bay. Just after rt 495 merges back with rt 95 is the exit for rt 1. Stay on rt1, it was built to carry sea shore traffic and is a better ride than rt13 or the old rt1. It becomes a toll road but better than all the traffic lights. Keep an eye out for the rest area sign as you approach Smryna De. It's a good place to get out use the facilities, stretch, walk the dog or have a cold drink. There is a nice flower garden off to the side of the service building.
    Continue on rt 1 past Dover. Someone mentioned the museum at the AFB and it is worth a stop especially with kids or you are a geek like me. Shortly after Dover you want to look for rt 113 to continue through the DelMarVa peninsula. This is a lot of traffic lights and speed limits vary 35 to 55 mph going through all the small villages. It always seems that you get back to speed and BAM another red light. By the time you get close to Snow Hill Md. you have been on the road over 5 hours and probably bleary from driving. Pocomoke River state park @ Shad Landing is a REAL good place to put down for the night. There are usually open spots but I would check and make a reservation. https://parkreservations.maryland.gov/ I recommend the "Acorn Loop". If you feel a need to see the ocean, Assateague state park is a half hour back up the peninsula. Or if you want an Eastern Shore dining experience and get a dozen crabs I recommend taking the 40 minute drive to Chincoteague village. Steamers Restaurant or Capt. Zacks both took care of my seafood habit.
    Off you go back on rt 113 to rt 13, this will take you out of Maryland and into Virginia to the entrance of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. There is a rest area on the left, just before you start on the bay-bridge. I recommend you take advantage. Many people aren't aware but at the back of the parking lot is access to the Eastern Shore Wildlife Refuge. It's about a quarter mile walk to the bay overlook and it's worth the 20 minutes or so to see it.
    Stay on rt 13 over the bay getting on rt 64 in Chesapeake City then onto rt168, rt17 or rt13 depending on how long and how much traffic you can put up with. Last time I stayed at Oregon Inlet campground but it was mid April. If you are going to the Hatteras campground at the point I would stay on Rt 13 and try to make time. It'll have been a long day by the time you reach your destination. If you are staying a few days it's easier to drive without a TT in tow to points of interest and there are many.
    To get from Hatteras to Ocraoke then to Cedar Island you need to take the ferry as there isn't a road. Or drive all the way around. One thing I never did or checked on is taking a TT onto the ferry and / or what restrictions there may be. I do know there is a wait to get onto the ferries, they are first come, first serve.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 07-27-2019 at 04:48 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update.

This is a week or so behind due to being busy when I got back home for that annoying thing called work. For some reason we have to do this to have nice things

Trip from PA to final destination was just over 10:15 hours for drive time with a departure time of 12:30 PM Sunday. This included 2 fuel stops, a dinner break and a bathroom break. The first fuel stop was outside of Dover, Delaware at a Wawa. I got the truck and trailer in. The installation of the camera was a wise investment last year. It is great to be able to see out the back side of the trailer while trying to get out of tight locations. The second stop was a bathroom break when we got to the border to Virginia. We tried to park in the small rest area but that was a no go. So drove down the road a bit and found a parking lot to pull off in. Everyone got a bathroom break. The 3rd stop was a gas/ truck fueling stop in Cape Charles, VA. Easy in and out. No issues getting the trailer in. Based on my calculations we would have fuel right to the final location plus at least a 1/4 of tank. (which was point on.) We got the CBBT right before sunset and it was a gorgeous ride. I really could not ask for anything better. No traffic. Smooth riding. Our final stop was made in NC before getting onto the Outer Banks. We found a MC Donalds for a quick bite. I wanted something to take the edge off. It was about 2 hours before arrival. We wound up making our own spot in the parking lot. Wright Memorial Bridge we managed to take out some of the local bug populace. The trailer and truck were littered with the remnants of that insect population. Since it was a Sunday night, we rolled through the northern parts of the OBX. The got below the last main areas of Nags Head, and rolled into the CHNS and Pea Island sections of NC12. Once we got into the Rodanthe, we knew the campground is close and pulled in at 1030 PM ish. We were the last ones to arrive for the evening. I had my wife call ahead to let them know we would be getting there close to end of office hours. The wife got the papers. We got it parked without waking the neighbors. Hooked up electric and called it an evening.

Trip from the NC to PA. Same route back. Left at 8:05 AM Sunday morning. We managed to get though all the early morning of OBX and surrounding areas. We were at the CBBT by 11 AM with one breakfast stop of 20 minutes. Got though VA and MD. First fuel stop was just in side Delaware which was pretty good. The Royal Farms we pulled in was a bit of a pain with the truck and trailer. However we got out after the refuel. The refuel gave us enough to get back to the storage lot. We finally found traffic around mid afternoon outside Dover which we had seen on the way down. Got through all of it and into the PA. Little traffic getting on to 476 which was fine and once through it, clear sailing up to 80. An accident in the Poconos cause so back ups. However the GPS routed us back to the lot with a nice size hill but the truck and trailer was fine. It was a moment though I wished I had a diesel for the engine brake on the back side. It was 8 or 10 % grade both sides. We rolled into our storage location at 6:30 PM and on the road home by 7. I picked up gas down the road from the lot and was on the road home.

The road trip was not bad overall. This was the first long trip with the truck and trailer. Definitely feel the trailer in the back. I had an air pressure issue while heading down with the truck. The rears heated up and gave a bouncy ride and caused some sway. Dropped the rear tire pressure no issues. Before leaving for home, I dropped the tires to 62 PSI and accounted for heating up. It was perfect all the way home. No issues. While on the way home, we starting planning our next adventure, maybe DC in November for a short vacation. We were thinking Cherry Hill as it was recommended by a couple of people we talked to while at Camp Hatteras.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are going down to Camp Hatteras next week! We are pretty excited. We are driving down from Northern VA though so will be taking 95 South to 295 to 64. Should be pretty straight forward BUT will have to deal with the VA Beach tunnels and I am a little intimidated. Does anyone have any advice for that? I know I will need to have propane tanks all closed but we always travel that way anyways since we have the Res Fridge.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check to see how they fared from the hurricane today.

Stay on 295 to US 460 east then stay on US 460 joined by US 58 right lane onto I664, right lane to I64 to 168 to outer banks to avoid tunnels. Traffic depends on time of day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hams View Post

Stay on 295 to US 460 east then stay on US 460 joined by US 58 right lane onto I664, right lane to I64 to 168 to outer banks to avoid tunnels. Traffic depends on time of day

Hadn't thought of that, thanks!

According to Google Maps that is actually like 15 mins quicker than the route it would pick going through VA Beach, no kidding!
    Last edited by cookinwitdiesel; 09-07-2019 at 12:12 AM.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hams View Post

I took 460 a few years back. Not too bad but some of it is a little narrow. Was warned about he cops hiding in the bushes so watch your speed. Sure enough, saw 2 of them! Would for sure check access because as of last night still had restrictions for Dare County. Wires down and still had flooding from the sound.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast