Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B&W Companion Hitch

Hello
    After research and posts on this forum we have decided to go with a 25K B&W Companion hitch. We will be pulling the 351 Momentum with a F-350 dually long bed. From what i understand the truck comes with a puck system. Do we need to purchase a hitch kit? I also see on B&W website that they have a OEM ball and safety chain kit. Does the hitch come with chains or is this something I would need to order also? We are new 5th wheels and hitches and appreciate any advice you can give!
    Thank you!!!
    Terri

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your truck comes with the puck system already installed on it, this is all you need, other than some tools for assembly...

B&W Companion RVK3305 for Ford Puck System This is the Companion 25K Hitch. I bought the same thing back in late February and put it together and in my truck in about an hour.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no need for chains with a 5th wheel. The chains and ball is for a goose neck. You might want to purchase a lube plate, they dont normally come with the hitch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready2Go View Post
    Hello
    After research and posts on this forum we have decided to go with a 25K B&W Companion hitch. We will be pulling the 351 Momentum with a F-350 dually long bed. From what i understand the truck comes with a puck system. Do we need to purchase a hitch kit? I also see on B&W website that they have a OEM ball and safety chain kit. Does the hitch come with chains or is this something I would need to order also? We are new 5th wheels and hitches and appreciate any advice you can give!
    Thank you!!!
    Terri
    Terri, yup they have given you the straight scoop. I have the Companion hitch, all be it for the Ram truck. My Companion hitch is the same as yours would be its just that truck manufacturers (Ram, Ford, GM)have the puck hole width different, so get the one that fits your specific truck, thats all you need. The hitch is in two pieces, the base and the head. Together it weighs @ 214 lbs. Installation is easy with simple tools although you will need a torque wrench to properly torque the bolts. Just follow the installation instructions. You will need to determine the height to bolt the arms to the base that the head sets on. This is to get the RV level when its hitched up. Also you need to determine if the hitch should be over the rear axle, in front of the axle slightly, or behind the axle slightly. Just follow the instructions. I set mine up so that the head arms are bolted to their highest level and set it up so that the hitch is directly over the axle. That works best for me.

The base secures to the truck bed puck holes by cam locks and has safety pins for these cam locks. I replaced the pins with 4 pad locks keyed the same so nobody can fool with and unlock the base from the truck bed. I also use a padlock on the hitch lock arm so nobody can fool with it either. Very little maintenance for this hitch, there is one grease fitting. Yes the plastic lube plate does not come with the hitch, its a good idea to get one. It takes the place of having to smear grease on the head plate. Also with your long bed you do not need a slider hitch.

Thought I would add that I kept an eye on Craig's List and found someone locally selling the exact hitch I needed only a year old, for a whole lot less than new.

Have a Great Day and go out and make some memories.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-05-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: additional
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Terri, yup they have given you the straight scoop. I have the Companion hitch, all be it for the Ram truck. My Companion hitch is the same as yours would be its just that truck manufacturers (Ram, Ford, GM)have the puck hole width different, so get the one that fits your specific truck, thats all you need. The hitch is in two pieces, the base and the head. Together it weighs @ 214 lbs. Installation is easy with simple tools although you will need a torque wrench to properly torque the bolts. Just follow the installation instructions. You will need to determine the height to bolt the arms to the base that the head sets on. This is to get the RV level when its hitched up. Also you need to determine if the hitch should be over the rear axle, in front of the axle slightly, or behind the axle slightly. Just follow the instructions. I set mine up so that the head arms are bolted to their highest level and set it up so that the hitch is directly over the axle. That works best for me.

The base secures to the truck bed puck holes by cam locks and has safety pins for these cam locks. I replaced the pins with 4 pad locks keyed the same so nobody can fool with and unlock the base from the truck bed. I also use a padlock on the hitch lock arm so nobody can fool with it either. Very little maintenance for this hitch, there is one grease fitting. Yes the plastic lube plate does not come with the hitch, its a good idea to get one. It takes the place of having to smear grease on the head plate. Also with your long bed you do not need a slider hitch.

Thought I would add that I kept an eye on Craig's List and found someone locally selling the exact hitch I needed only a year old, for a whole lot less than new.

Wow, the one for your Ram must be considerably larger than the one for the Ford. Weight on mine is 77 lbs for one piece and 87 lbs for the other...for a total of 164 lbs. I did the same as you have done as far as keyed alike locks for the base and the locking arm. Mine required three total as the cam handles turn to a common point, one on each side.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Wow, the one for your Ram must be considerably larger than the one for the Ford. Weight on mine is 77 lbs for one piece and 87 lbs for the other...for a total of 164 lbs. I did the same as you have done as far as keyed alike locks for the base and the locking arm. Mine required three total as the cam handles turn to a common point, one on each side.
    Xrated, I don't know what it actually is, places on the web seem to be all over the place, take your pick. On the B&W web site they say the base weighs 154lbs and the coupler weighs 75lbs = 229. When I was looking at buying the hitch back at the beginning of the year, I am sure I read they were like 214lbs because i calculated it into my payload number. Now I also see on some web sites they say it weighs 70 lbs and shipping weight is 73lbs. Who knows for sure! Its heavy! Could be the width of the base has to be much wider and again bigger to fit the Ram puck ho0les, I don't know.

Yup I used all weather padlocks. I keep the hitch covered by a roll up Tonneau cover when not in use. I need to get some graphite powder to keep on hand to shoot into the padlocks maybe once a year. It was in excellent shape when I bought it used for $600. The guy that had it was going to one of those high dollar hitches with air ride.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-05-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xrated, I don't know what it actually is, places on the web seem to be all over the place, take your pick. On the B&W web site they say the base weighs 154lbs and the coupler weighs 75lbs = 229. When I was looking at buying the hitch back at the beginning of the year, I am sure I read they were like 214lbs because i calculated it into my payload number. Now I also see on some web sites they say it weighs 70 lbs and shipping weight is 73lbs. Who knows for sure! Its heavy! Could be the width of the base has to be much wider and again bigger to fit the Ram puck ho0les, I don't know.

Yup I used all weather padlocks. I keep the hitch covered by a roll up Tonneau cover when not in use. I need to get some graphite powder to keep on hand to shoot into the padlocks maybe once a year. It was in excellent shape when I bought it used for $600. The guy that had it was going to one of those high dollar hitches with air ride.
    I am going by shipping weight that was on the label of the two boxes that mine came in, so my numbers may be off a bit too. I'm too lazy to actually weigh them because the payload capacity of my truck is more than enough for my rig. And I suspect you are exactly correct regarding the size difference between the two truck brands mounting hole spacing. I sure do like the B& W Companion though. Solidly built, no chucking, and easy to hook up and easy to release. I don't have a bed cover on my truck, as I have an aux fuel tank that is higher than the bed rails, so I bought a cover for the hitch to keep it out of the weather.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Steven@147;238353]

X-rated...Thank you for your response. Really like the idea of pad locks and will order the plastic lube plate. We were not as lucky on Craig's list or FB marketplace so ordered the hitch today. It is arriving tomorrow and we pick up RV this Friday!! Feels like Christmas!!
    Terri

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven@147 or xrated.............I have the same B&W Companion Hitch. I have tried a couple of my locks on the hitch pin points but the holes have a very small diameter. All of my locks were too big around to fit through the holes. Where did you get the keyed alike locks to secure the 3 points on the hitch? Thanks
    Last edited by rjswift; 07-11-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    Bob & Sheran
    2017 Ford F350 DRW CC LB Lariat 6.7 PS
    Companion 5th Wheel Hitch in Ford Pucks
    2020 Reflections 337RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjswift View Post
    Steven@147 or xrated.............I have the same B&W Companion Hitch. I have tried a couple of my locks on the hitch pin points but the holes have a very small diameter. All of my locks were too big around to fit through the holes. Where did you get the keyed alike locks to secure the 3 points on the hitch? Thanks
    Butt'n in here, I have the same hitch. Picked up my locks(keyed alike) at Wally World. Really like the hitch, had a Reese 18K that I struggled with for five or six years, & then I finally broke it.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast