User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Tailgater combo also. Sounds like you have done the seasoning procedure correctly. I noticed that aggressive cleaning can “de-season” it; if that’s a word. The key I found like mentioned by others is the oiling. It must be completely dry or the oils may be sitting on top of the water. So I clean while hot with scraper and water, keep it hot to dry it completely and then oil it with spray oil (Pam). Works for me in humid NH.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried seasoning it in an oven like you would a cast iron pan? I'm not exactly sure if it would fit in a home oven since I don't know it's size. If you did several thin coats of seasoning it may keep the rust at bay a lot longer.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to Blackstone’s website or do a YouTube search for how to rescue a Blackstone griddle top. The process we followed for our table top model was a Blackstone-recommended/produced method. Now, before the first use, I originally seasoned the grill per the instructions included in the manual. However, that led to almost immediate rusting after just one use. Needless to say, I couldn’t understand what all the hype was about and was ready to put that thing up for sale. Fortunately, my wife stepped in (she is a cast-iron aficionado). She searched for blackstone videos, watching numerous ones, including guys that used angle grinders to remove the factory finish. She finally decided to follow the method in a Blackstone produced video. The process recommended a pumice stone, three heating cycles of approximately 30 minutes each and liberal use of flaxseed oil. The grit from the pumice stone was difficult to remove with paper towels. That gave me an excuse to break out the air compressor and blow off the grit and feel like I was contributing. When the proper seasoning level was reached, the griddle top was almost entirely black (as specified in the video). After that, everything we cooked on it left no to minimal residue. There was another video that showed how to clean and maintain the griddle surface. We use a metal scraper after sprinkling water on the hot surface and allowing the steam to loosen any food residue. Scrape it off and then follow with a thin coating of either flaxseed or coconut oil spread over the surface with the scraper. We’ve had no rusting or sticky food issues since. One note: while grilling recently, I thought, “hey, why not use the flaxseed oil for some fried eggs?” Well, it did make for a slick surface but everything tasted like fish oil. We use lard or coconut oil for the actual cooking now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched a video that a guy oiled his griddle by putting in his wifes stove at 400 degrees. I figured my wife would divorce me. I lit my BBQ (grill in the US) put my 17" griddle in upside down and oiled the sides and the bottom. 20 minutes later the smoke stopped so I oiled it again. did it 4 times I let it cool a bit and turned it over and did the top side doing the same thing. My griddle is black on the top and the bottom. I don't use much oil on it. Tonight I cook 2 round steaks and asparagus, didn't put any oil on it but when I put the asparagus on after 30 seconds I gave it a good amount of water, turned once and some water. when I took every thing off I scrape it and use water. I put a very small amount of oil wiped the top and the corners 1 paper towel and put it way till tomorrow night.

Oh I forgot to mention I don't overn mitts when handling my griddle when its still hot, I use welding gloves they work perfect.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put plastic cup under grille cover on top of grille to aide water running off - kind of like tent. Mine is always outside and in rain and elements when camping. Never had problem with rust. Always season 1 time after each use; doesn't have to take but few minutes; after cleaning and wiping down just apply very light coat of cooking oil then cut off and let grille cool down before covering. I use spray cooking oil.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the Blackstone grill but do have more cast iron than should be allowed and care of both should be the same.

If you do need to strip and clean the griddle ( if it's not in super horrible shape) a generous bath of oven cleaner in a garbage bag sitting overnight (or longer) makes a quick easy stripping job. Or if it is really bad, set up an electrolysis tank (not as hard as it sounds) . I have cleaned many pots and pans most would throw away including a huge griddle that fit on the entire top of our campchef using electrlosis.

I make my own paste out of oil and beeswax (you can use you choice of oil) to season and condition my iron and it creates a great slick surface.

I haven't tried it but seasoning with Crisbee has become the next big thing in caring for cast iron
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    embrace iron oxide in your diet! we drink well water that is often iron rich, like when i forget to top off the salt in the softener.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marcy,
    Thanks so much for that link (not that I have a rusty something but for the science bug in me)

Cheers,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a large Blackstone on our deck at home year around. We are entering our 3rd summer and it's been through 2 winters. We are in MN, which certainly has humid summers. I have had no rust issues. I don't mean to question or reiterate, just share what works for me. After every use I clean it with water with all burners on high. I spray water and scrape it with a spatula until it no longer produces any gunk. I then liberally coat all surfaces with vegetable oil, wiping off excess with a paper towel. In the fall I liberally coat all surfaces but don't wipe it off.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in middle Georgia so high humidity almost year round. I've had a Blackstone griddle for a few years now. My current griddle is a 3 burner Pro model. It's under a covered porch so no direct rain. I've never had a rust issue. If you have rust you are not properly oiling it down after use or it's not fully seasoned yet. Also as pointed out above if you aggressively clean it after each use you're cleaning off your seasoning.
    Last edited by ckreef; 04-02-2020 at 06:54 AM.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast