User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blackstone Griddle Rusting

I really do like the convenience of the combination with our Blackstone Tailgater (half grill, half flat top griddle), but I don't like the fact that the griddle keeps rusting bad. I realize it is steel (I would pay extra for a stainless steel top). It is outside all the time covered. I seasoned it correctly and keep it oiled between uses. But it still rusts and goodness I am going to go broke buying all the paper towels needed to clean the rust off every other day. It is pretty yucky looking. Perhaps it is my imagination, but the pancakes are beginning to taste a little rusty. Beginning to have second thoughts. Any ideas ?
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean it as best you can then get it toasty hot and throw a little water on it to aid in getting (scraping) the rest off. Once toasty hot again (metal should be discoloring a bit) then start wiping it down with oil. Let the oil smoke off and do that a few times until you get good color on the metal. Turn off, lube liberally and keep out of moisture like morning dew.

Works for me but our average humidity here in AZ is ~10%.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it’s rusting, it isn’t seasoned properly. Seasoning isn’t a one time thing.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Clean it as best you can then get it toasty hot and throw a little water on it to aid in getting (scraping) the rest off. Once toasty hot again (metal should be discoloring a bit) then start wiping it down with oil. Let the oil smoke off and do that a few times until you get good color on the metal. Turn off, lube liberally and keep out of moisture like morning dew.

Works for me but our average humidity here in AZ is ~10%.
    Thanks for the info ... Yes, I know the procedure for cleaning it ... I have done that about 5 times ... I just don't intend to spend 30 minutes to scrape and clean and a roll of paper towels for 4 eggs and 4 pancakes. 92% humidity in Ohio. oh check that, it's raining ... 100% humidity. ... I guess I am just venting
    Hobo Bill
    From Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Traveling Full Time Across the US
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 337RLS
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Goodrich T/A KO2 All Terrain Tires
    Reese RP30081 20K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Bill View Post
    Thanks for the info ... Yes, I know the procedure for cleaning it ... I have done that about 5 times ... I just don't intend to spend 30 minutes to scrape and clean and a roll of paper towels for 4 eggs and 4 pancakes. 92% humidity in Ohio. oh check that, it's raining ... 100% humidity. ... I guess I am just venting
    Ya, it would be hard to keep rust off in a swimming pool. Sorry for your trouble, they are really nice tools.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat it up, Steel wool it with water, then wipe it down, then oil. Seems to work on mine - so far.
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 06-05-2019 at 07:22 PM. Reason: adding to it
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For our cast iron pans I got a plastic scraper that you find with the lodge stuff in stores. I use it to scrape and clean cast iron after use. I can get them really clean and it doesn’t scratch. Then a light wipe and cleaning with oil and paper towel and done. I used to hate using all the paper towels too before I found the hand scraper thing.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get something like this grill pumice stone. My parents used to have a restaurant and the kitchen staff would use this to scrub down the big commercial griddle at the end of the day. Get all the gunk off. Then season it well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XK6XBB...6-bd9072b5bc3a
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rust is almost impossible to avoid. Rather than cleaning it with oil and paper towels, try scrubbing it with coarse ground salt and steel wool while the flat top is cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Blackstone sits outside under the Blackstone cover year round in New Hampshire with minimal rusting between uses, the key is to keep it oiled when done. What works for me is to coat it with vegetable oil spray (Pam) when done. It may be months between uses & there may be a small patch of rust so I do what you do, a few paper towels with oil to clean it up, cook on it, scrape it & then steam clean with water when done. While it’s still hot I spray a light coating of Pam on it then wipe it down with a paper towel making sure every surface is covered. I use the factory 36” cover on mine but I place a wood board on the top of the griddle to support the cover so it isn’t resting directly on the griddle surface allowing water to pool on top & it sits on the deck year round for the last three years. Maybe it’s the cover on the tailgater model? Does it contact the grill surface or is there an air gap? Is it fabric or the steal one?
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast