User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water pump runs = flickering overhead LED lights

First-time poster here...

We have a 2019 344gk that was build just over a year ago. We recently took it in for some warranty work and one of the issues on our list is that the overhead LED lights flicker/strobe when I wash dishes. Every time I turned the water on and the pump kicked on, the lights strobed/flickered. We were hooked up to shore power.

The dealership told us there was no fix, every coach does this, the lights and the pump are both 12v and competing for electricity, it's more noticeable with LED lights because they are much brighter, etc. I'm reading on the Facebook pages that it could be a loose ground wire.

Do you experience flickering LED lights when your pump kicks on? Have you asked your service department about it? What did they say? Were you able to get it fixed?

I'm trying to gain some more knowledge of first-hand experiences before going back to the dealership on Monday.

Thank you!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That isn't normal.

LED lights are very sensitive to voltage changes and perhaps when the pump is on it is causing your 12v to drop low. The two things share voltage and ground. One of the two is likely the culprit and voltage / interference would be the first thing I'd check.
    Last edited by Aridon; 06-05-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the problems that cause this is not having a pressure tank for the pump. The pump is on a simple pressure switch so when water runs, without the tank, the pressure drops quickly and turns the pump on. The pump is able to pump up faster than your water usage so it shuts off again. This happens repeatedly hammering the electrical system with motor on/off pulses. These pulses cause a voltage drop in the DC circuit that the lights are showing. There are a couple things that could help, rewire with heavier wire so the voltage drop is less when the pump starts(a good bit of work, our camper used 8, I went to 6awg when I re-wired for the new power system). You can install a small expansion tank, this would allow the pressure to pump up and actually shut off as you use the water, and helps with plumbing hammering as well, but also a bit of work and money. Something simple to try that may work - allow a small air pocket in the water heater. This will allow it to act as a pressure tank to a small amount, and could stop the hammering.

Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    First-time poster here...

We have a 2019 344gk that was build just over a year ago. We recently took it in for some warranty work and one of the issues on our list is that the overhead LED lights flicker/strobe when I wash dishes. Every time I turned the water on and the pump kicked on, the lights strobed/flickered. We were hooked up to shore power.

The dealership told us there was no fix, every coach does this, the lights and the pump are both 12v and competing for electricity, it's more noticeable with LED lights because they are much brighter, etc. I'm reading on the Facebook pages that it could be a loose ground wire.

Do you experience flickering LED lights when your pump kicks on? Have you asked your service department about it? What did they say? Were you able to get it fixed?

I'm trying to gain some more knowledge of first-hand experiences before going back to the dealership on Monday.

Thank you!
    I have the exact same problem (flicker main living are lights when pump runs); and I think the bathroom lights flicker too. I blame it on the 15 amp circuit going to the main lighting/awning/pump switch/sensor/slide control panel. I already blew the 15amp fuse once when pulling both awnings in at the same time (won't try that again). I figure with the main living area ceiling lights on (7 LED lights) when the pump runs the single 15amp feed to that panel is insufficient (or maybe the wiring is undersized). I figure there is too much of a power drop when the pump runs. I think the pump pulls 7.5 amps and am not sure what else is drawing from that panel besides the living area lights.

I can't do much about it now as we are traveling, but when I get home I intend to run a dedicated feed from the 12VDC fuse panel to the pump circuit hoping that cures the issue. In the meantime we are keeping the main lights off when using the onboard water (and pump) although I don't think there is any danger, just an annoyance.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Imagine did the same thing. I posted my fix on the Imagine FB page a few months back. I ran a separate heavy ground wire to the hookup center where the pump is (mainly for the solar controller I added) and also wired in a 12V automotive accessory relay. The pump pressure switch only switches the relay coil now, the main pump power comes off the disconnect switch and grounds through the heavier wire I added.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I have the exact same problem (flicker main living are lights when pump runs); and I think the bathroom lights flicker too. I blame it on the 15 amp circuit going to the main lighting/awning/pump switch/sensor/slide control panel. I already blew the 15amp fuse once when pulling both awnings in at the same time (won't try that again). I figure with the main living area ceiling lights on (7 LED lights) when the pump runs the single 15amp feed to that panel is insufficient (or maybe the wiring is undersized). I figure there is too much of a power drop when the pump runs. I think the pump pulls 7.5 amps and am not sure what else is drawing from that panel besides the living area lights.

I can't do much about it now as we are traveling, but when I get home I intend to run a dedicated feed from the 12VDC fuse panel to the pump circuit hoping that cures the issue. In the meantime we are keeping the main lights off when using the onboard water (and pump) although I don't think there is any danger, just an annoyance.
    I added a switch for the pump in the bathroom (posted info in a different thread) and while at it I ran a dedicated, fused 12v line directly the pump. No more flickering lights. Yahoooo!!
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods