User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question New Guy Trying to Figure it All Out... Weight and Balance ?

Hey fellas, I’m new to the forum and I appreciate all the great info. I originally wanted to purchase the GD 2800BH but after reading past experiences and using the load calculators I think the 2400BH might be a more realistic TT for our current setup because of the length and weight difference between the two trailers.

I have a 2017 F150 XLT 3.5L eco, 145 wb, 3.55 axle ratio, with the max tow package, book says I have a GCWR of 16,900 with max trailer weight of 11,500. The TV curb weight is 4900lbs, GVWR 7000; leaving me with 2100 payload. However, the max tire load is 1776, so I actually have a payload of 6676 if I understood the payload forum correctly?

My question is why does the weight printed on the actual tire say “max load 2756lb” 2756x4 = 11024 you subtract that from the curb weight 11024-4900= 6124lb tire payload but the sticker on the door says 1776. Why? Also could I up grade the tires eventually so I can get back the 324lb payload I’m losing because of the tire restriction. I’m not worried about it now because my kids are 6 and 4 but as they grow I might need the extra payload. As most of you have mentioned before I’ll prob be in the market for a bigger truck by then but the current truck is what I have to work with. I’m just trying to cover all my bases before I drop $25,000+ on a trailer and realize I made a mistake.

Thanks,

Chris

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD1CD482-8A7E-40C8-9B2A-C86923EBF013.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	20493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47880B58-79B5-419E-9FD2-D949F56D7832.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	20494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E671E853-F463-456E-BE21-E79CF8DB10F1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	20495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B3B88D2-90D0-4EB2-AAAD-A04ABD8EDB23.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	873.1 KB 
ID:	20496

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been going through similar calculations lately so I'll take a shot at replying. I think you're mixing numbers from the towing guide/owners manual regarding curb weight and the door stickers on your truck. The max tire load on the tires really has nothing to do with it since you'll be limited by many other things (RAWR/GVWR) before you overload the tires.

Your payload capacity is 1776lbs. The weight of all passengers, trailer tongue weight, camping gear, firewood and any items added after the factory (bed liner, tonneau cover, winch etc.) needs to be less than this number. Your truck has a GVWR of 7000lbs so your truck has a curb weight of 5224 lbs from the factory (I believe this includes a full tank of gas and all fluids, but no driver), which is 7000lbs-1776lbs=5224lbs. The 324lbs difference is probably due to options added at the factory (power seats, moon roof if you have one, tailgate step etc.), the 4800lb curb weight is probably for a base model.

So add up everything that's goes against you payload:

-Any items added onto the truck or put in the truck since the factory
    -The weight of all the passengers, car seats and camping gear that will be in the truck (firewood, tools, luggage, bikes, generator, fuel etc.)
    -Camper tongue weight (~13% of trailer GVWR, 0.13x7995lbs=1039lbs for the 2800BH)

If the amount from all the items above is under the payload number you're probably okay since 1/2 ton trucks are usually limited by payload/GVWR, although some people will tell you that a 32' long trailer is too long for a 1/2 ton. I have a similar setup that I haven't weighed yet but I'd be razor thin on the numbers.

Hope that helps. I'm sure if I messed up in there somewhere or forgot something someone will chime in.
    2016 F150 5.0 XLT SCREW
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ivormac could not have said it any better...great explanation and you will find after you weight everything across a scale you are left with nothing in the bed of the truck and maybe a bottle of water before you hit max payload. A lot of people do not worry about their weights and you will see more and more on the road now that you give it some thought.

It basically comes down to what your level of comfort is when reaching the max payload and length of trailer. Sure the truck can pull it and you may never have a problem, all depends on your level of stress and worrying about it.

Having a RAM 2500 diesel I thought I could pull just about anything but quickly found out I just about hit my max payload with an empty trailer.

Length of trailer question- I pulled my new 297RSTS several times with an Equalizer ant-sway hitch with no issues, they one day it was windy 30-40mph winds and after a few big rigs passed me and moved me and made me white knuckle the steering wheel I decided to purchase the ProPride hitch. Have not installed it yet but its "supposed" to eliminate sway. Just keep in mind depending on the setup you have you may encounter more sway than you are use to with a longer trailer.

Safe travels and keep us informed on what you decide.

Edit- You can search my post and see all of my questions and the great responses on weights and hitches.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply! That’s an expensive hitch, keep us posted if it’s worth the bang for the buck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your F150 has factory tires and shocks, they are more for comfort and smooth ride than load carrying. Many guys on the F150ecoboost.net forum recommend LT rated tires (stiffer sidewalls, less sway) and changing the soft factory shocks to Bilsteins. There is a specific section for towing with F150's on that forum.
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT 1500, CrewCab, 5.3L, 2wd.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our tow vehicle is a Ram 2500 and we have a Hensley Arrow hitch. Our hitch is very similar to the ProPride, they were designed by the same person. We don't get any sway at all, no matter how hard the wind blows and neither will you using the Propride. Yes, both are expensive hitches, but to me they are worth every penny. I believe that the ProPride is an updated version of the Hensley Arrow.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, you are fine tuning an atomic bomb hit. The GVWR of the trailer you can tow equals the GCWR of the truck minus the GVWR of the truck is the simplest place to start. In your case, 16,900#-7000#= 9,900#, that is GCWR-GVWR(truck)= GVWR(trailer). Further, I like the safety margin of assuming you tow no more than 80% of the maximum trailer weight. At 7500# the 2400BH is right in your wheelhouse, good choice. I have the 2018 f150 equipped the same. The key is do not overload either the TV or the TT.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.