Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A redundant towing truck question-Is a 2016 GMC 3500HD Denali worth it?

Guys I'm fluent in other hobbies so please have mercy on my un researched and uneducated questions and comments. But basically I can get a 2016 GMC Denali 3500HD for $47k with 23k miles on it. Is this worth it? Right dumb question. Mostly I have had very minimal time to research the big 3 brands and why. A Duramax and Allison sounds good though and says 6111 payload and 23200 fith wheel on quick Google search. Yes we plan to haul triple axle 5th wheel....

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The payload number sounds about 1000 lbs too high. If you are getting that info from a brochure, they are advertising their max. PAYLOAD capacity for a a stripped down truck....basically a work truck. Your best bet and only way of knowing for sure is to contact whoever has the truck and get them to snap a pic or read the payload number from the sticker that is on the driver's side door post, then you will know what the payload capacity was on the day the truck was built. Anything that has been added to the truck since then, decreases that number by the amount of weight of the added item.....toolbox, spray in Bed liner, fiver hitch, etc. The payload number is extremely important because most of the time, you will run out of payload before you do towing capacity when towing large 5ver camping trailers. They normally put at least 20% of the trailer weight on the pin of the 5ver. An example. might be a large Toy Hauler with a 20,000 lb GVWR. If loaded to that weight, expect at least 4000 lbs on the pin....maybe a bit more....depending on how it's loaded. Hope this helps a bit.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a dually?
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
    Guys I'm fluent in other hobbies so please have mercy on my un researched and uneducated questions and comments. But basically I can get a 2016 GMC Denali 3500HD for $47k with 23k miles on it. Is this worth it? Right dumb question. Mostly I have had very minimal time to research the big 3 brands and why. A Duramax and Allison sounds good though and says 6111 payload and 23200 fith wheel on quick Google search. Yes we plan to haul triple axle 5th wheel....
    Hard for any of us to really know if the price is worth it w/o seeing, driving, learning history of, etc. the truck. Condition, options (Denalis are loaded with only a few options still available), past problems, your market strength, etc. can all impact value by thousands.

Look at the payload sticker in the driver door frame area to see that's truck's actual payload. Every truck is different depending on options, model, features, etc.

My brother-in-law just bought at 2016 3500 Chevy LT Crew 4X4 SRW with just over 30K miles and in excellent condition. His payload was just under 3800 lbs.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 06-06-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice would be if not a huge difference in price look for a 2017 or newer duramax. Gm/chevy redesigned their diesel going from LML model to L5P in 2017 with a huge difference in torque, and a bump in HP as well. I have towed same trailer (big loaded heavy utility trailer not rv) with both a 2015- old model engine and our 2017- new model engine and the difference is very noticable.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2016 Denali 3500 SRW and it worked great with our 12,000lb Reflection. I didn't consider it enough truck for our 16,000lb Solitude so we changed to a DRW. IMO, if your triple axle 5th wheel weighs more than around 15,000lbs, you should be looking at DRW trucks. Maybe the truck you're looking at is a DRW? Let us know.

As for the price - as others have said, without seeing it I can't speculate as to it's value.

I loved our Duramax. It was a great truck.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    The payload number sounds about 1000 lbs too high. If you are getting that info from a brochure, they are advertising their max. PAYLOAD capacity for a a stripped down truck....basically a work truck. Your best bet and only way of knowing for sure is to contact whoever has the truck and get them to snap a pic or read the payload number from the sticker that is on the driver's side door post, then you will know what the payload capacity was on the day the truck was built. Anything that has been added to the truck since then, decreases that number by the amount of weight of the added item.....toolbox, spray in Bed liner, fiver hitch, etc. The payload number is extremely important because most of the time, you will run out of payload before you do towing capacity when towing large 5ver camping trailers. They normally put at least 20% of the trailer weight on the pin of the 5ver. An example. might be a large Toy Hauler with a 20,000 lb GVWR. If loaded to that weight, expect at least 4000 lbs on the pin....maybe a bit more....depending on how it's loaded. Hope this helps a bit.
    Yea Ive briefly seen other places the GMC dually is like 4900. I do know how payload works. I think maybe it's best to let this pass, I discovered its a GMC buyback and the issues was the Allison trans had a vibration. They did not replace the vibration but replaced parts inside it. Also a 2015-2016 used Ram 3500HD has bit higher payload specs and can't complain about a Cummins and Asin trans.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I had a 2016 Denali 3500 SRW and it worked great with our 12,000lb Reflection. I didn't consider it enough truck for our 16,000lb Solitude so we changed to a DRW. IMO, if your triple axle 5th wheel weighs more than around 15,000lbs, you should be looking at DRW trucks. Maybe the truck you're looking at is a DRW? Let us know.

As for the price - as others have said, without seeing it I can't speculate as to it's value.

I loved our Duramax. It was a great truck.
    Yes going DRW 100% no doubt. There could be a chance we could end up in a 337RLS but we really are looking at 40ft+ toy haulers, like momentums and GD obviously but not many used yet in that size. Found a 2018 Fuzion 417 and thats an example of being up there in weight close to 20klbs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwktlg8 View Post
    My advice would be if not a huge difference in price look for a 2017 or newer duramax. Gm/chevy redesigned their diesel going from LML model to L5P in 2017 with a huge difference in torque, and a bump in HP as well. I have towed same trailer (big loaded heavy utility trailer not rv) with both a 2015- old model engine and our 2017- new model engine and the difference is very noticable.
    great advice, yea this is kinda rushed and nothing has ever come good out of a rushed buy in my life ever! As said in other comment I learned it as well as a 2015 3500HD SLE trim with 18k miles, both are GMC buybacks. SLE is def system issue and Denali was trans.

What are all the towing and power specs on yours? I do see some around 53-56k...Would need to drop bit of DP as I have a monthly # goal to stay under.
    Last edited by jlpowell84; 06-06-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with other comments above- especially with a tripple axle your pin weight (necessary payload) will be north of 4k lbs. Our truck had a little shy of 3600lbs payload. Same duramax in SRW/DRW specs are 445 hp 910 ft/lbs of torque. It will be interesting how new alison tranny next yr (2020)does- 10 speed vs current 6 speed with the idea to keep rpms lower and in the power band.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast