User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-150 modification

I'm new here, so please forgive me if there is another thread that already deals with this topic. I have a 2016 F-150 crew cab long bed with the 3.5 ecoboost and 3.55 rear end. What upgrades or modifications would you suggest to make towing better or more efficient? I have not had any problems towing with my current set up, but hope to be purchasing a new tt next year or this winter. I will be staying under 8K and under 30 feet for the new trailer (looking at the 2400bh). current TT set up is under 6K and 25ft long.

I'm still a few years away from considering a new tv, so I'm not looking for advice on upgrading to a f250 or 350 that's not an option at this point.

Thank you for any input

Eric

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, tires. If still on p-rated, look at switching to LT for improved sidewall construction and less flex.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I suggest E rated tires, maybe air bags or some other suspension assist. I had the airbags on my F150 3.5, and it kept the truck level and stable. I also suggest a good quality hitch. You will be good to go with the size trailer you are getting.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    Yes, I suggest E rated tires, maybe air bags or some other suspension assist. I had the airbags on my F150 3.5, and it kept the truck level and stable. I also suggest a good quality hitch. You will be good to go with the size trailer you are getting.
    I was wondering about air bag vs. other suspension upgrades. I have an Equalizer hitch on now that seems to work pretty well, besides being noisy at times while turning or backing up. I will check my tires, bought the truck used last year and they just replaced them with same type of tire that came on the truck new.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the max tow package? If so, the truck is pretty much as dialed in as a 1/2 ton can get. Airbags, helper springs, etc. might help the rear end to eliminate any squierlyness. Keep your tires inflated to the max. I towed a 30', 7400 lbs. (scaled) travel trailer with a 2016 Max Tow using an Equal-i-zer (the name brand, not the generic term for weight distribution) hitch. I took it on one long road trip and retired it as a tow vehicle and used it exclusively as a daily driver. I had a 2005 CC, LB, V10 F-250 at the same time, and it was simply a better TV. That being said, the F-150 is a perfectly capable TV. The 3.5 EB is an awesome motor. To me, the biggest problem with any F-150 is also one of the better attributes when you're zipping around town; it's so darn light. I highly recommend not exceeding 30' or 8,000 pounds when selecting a trailer. An 8,000 pound trailer has a way of exerting it's influence on a 5600 pound truck no matter how the truck is equipped.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the recommendation of our family mechanic, our only (truck) mod was heavy duty Ford brake pads and rotors. He puts them on fleet trucks regularly pull a trailer.

A charter member of the Towing Police in Arkansas, told us we needed an F350 to pull our 2600RB! I explained that we have towed our 2600RB throughout the Rockies at 10,000+ feet with confidence.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are getting ready to head out west with our current set up so I'm curious on how my truck will do fuel wise with mpg. I hope to be upgrading to a bigger nicer tt next year. Looking at the Roadmaster active suspension system once I do decide to make the leap. Thank you for all the suggestions

Eric

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Eric @MOShorthair,

There are several threads on this forum about towing with an F150. Ford offers a Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP) that most dealers don't seem to know about . . . although it is in the F150 sales brochure. See the attachment to post 6 of this thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...695#post238695 and the rest of that discussion. Moving towards what the factory chose to do to improve F150 towing ability with the HDPP would be a good direction to follow. LT tires rather than the OE passenger car tires would be the place to start. You can search on HDPP (search window in the upper right corner) for more discussions on this topic.

Something to keep an eye on with larger TTs is the tongue weight. All F150s have a Class IV hitch receiver limited to about 1200 lbs with a WDH. This will be the first limit that you exceed with an 8000 lb trailer with 15% on the tongue plus the weight of the WDH.

I have found the Airlift airbags with onboard compressor to be a valuable improvement on rough roads. With this system, I can adjust the airbag pressure to suit the road, as I drive.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As for fuel economy, get ready for some surprises! I was pleased as punch that my 2012 in my signature was getting 10.5 mpg average pulling my old fifth wheel. I've got the HD Payload Package and the 3.73 gears - so heavier and poorer gearing for mileage. Switched to the Imagine 2670MK, and I struggle to hit 8 mpg! I blame length and aerodynamics. Wind is your enemy...going across South Dakota a few weeks ago, and I was as low as 4.5 mpg! Of course, coming the other way, I boomed up with the tailwind. Off hitch on highway, and I was easily able to maintain 19-20 mpg. Haven't mountain tested with the trailer yet, but with the fifth up 6% grades at altitude, I could pass any semi I wanted to pass.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey MO! What part of the show me state are you from?

I have LT tires on my F150, set up like yours with FX-4 and max tow. I'm towing a Rockwood Minilite 2509, but the 2400BH was a close second in choice. Weights and size are almost identical. Without any other changes to the truck, it tows great. My suggestion, try towing that 2400BH as is before you start upgrading. The tires coincided with needing them on my old truck. I traded my 13 for an 18 and the tires had all of about 1000 miles on them so I had the dealer swap the crappy OEM goodyears for my LTs.

As far as MPG when towing: HAHAHAHAHA. I get 9mpg. The 22 I get when driving the 90% of the time I'm not towing more than makes up for it, so does the power to merge onto the highway and pass people as needed without worry. Ford should call them ECOorBOOST.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast