User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kayaking and kayak camping

I'm an avid kayaker and actually will probably be spending more nights sleeping in my hammock after paddling to a campsite than my 2800 BH this summer. I have two boats one I built from a kit.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kayak also. What hammock do you carry?
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
    I kayak also. What hammock do you carry?
    I have two hammocks, a Dutchware Chameleon Wide and a 12 foot one I made. I also take along a Tensa 4 Stand for those times when trees are in short supply.

If you're in New England, I'm leading a trip to Peddocks Island in the Boston Harbor Islands National Park next weekend. The camping area is technically closed until the following weekend but I have a "special use permit". There should be around 10 of us kayaking there on Friday morning and returning Sunday morning with the high tide. It's a five mile ocean paddle each way. Absolutely beautiful.

-john

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new 3000bh and need to mount my 10ft kayak. Made a vertical rack attached to bumper with bike rack and schedule 80 pcs. Worked great and we over 10,000 miles with no problem. Think I can incorporate the ladder as the yak holder. Is that how you guys do it? Thanks in advance.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have two 12' kayaks that when properly positioned on the roof of the truck they would interfere with the 5th wheel cap on turns. I solved it by installing a front hitch for a Thule "Goalpost" so the kayaks now ride between the Goalpost and the front roof rack.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mines short and think will follow what I did on the passport and tie to ladder with the real support off A support coming off the bumper.”
    Last edited by Ghdorn; 01-04-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    We have two 12' kayaks that when properly positioned on the roof of the truck they would interfere with the 5th wheel cap on turns. I solved it by installing a front hitch for a Thule "Goalpost" so the kayaks now ride between the Goalpost and the front roof rack.
    Ours is a little tricky. My wife and I have sea touring boats both of which are 17]. Hers is a Mariner Express
    and mine is an EddyLine Wind Dancer. We are getting to a point that we can no longer get the boats on the roof with out straining so we invested in, that is right invested, in 2 sets of Thule Hulavators. Here is a link to them https://www.carid.com/thule/hullavat...k-carrier.html.

Here is a picture with my wife's Necky Tornack showing the set up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190906_174627.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	26207

Have a good rest of the week and a great week end.
    Last edited by AericktheViking; 04-27-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AericktheViking View Post
    Ours is a little tricky. My wife and I have sea touring boats both of which are 17]. Hers is a Mariner Express
    and mine is an EddyLine Wind Dancer. We are getting to a point that we can no longer get the boats on the roof with out straining so we invested in, that is right invested, in 2 sets of Thule Hulavators. Here is a link to them https://www.carid.com/thule/hullavat...k-carrier.html.

Those Hulavators are very nice. Yakima has a similar set-up but we were unable to get it because there set-up required a different Yakima rack posts than what we had. So either we had to get a whole new rack set-up plus the kayak lifts or go to a Thule rack system plus the Hulavators, either way it was more $ than we wanted to spend. Nice kayaks and rack system you have. I am guessing you are not towing a 5th wheel, or carry your kayaks without towing. We are full-timers so our kayaks always come with which is why I went with the set-up we now have, so the kayaks would not interfere with the 5th wheel on turns.
    Last edited by BB&LAB; 04-28-2020 at 09:37 AM. Reason: content
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Those Hulavators are very nice. Yakima has a similar set-up but we were unable to get it because there set-up required a different Yakima rack posts than what we had. So either we had to get a whole new rack set-up plus the kayak lifts or go to a Thule rack system plus the Hulavators, either way it was more $ than we wanted to spend. Nice kayaks and rack system you have. I am guessing you are not towing a 5th wheel, or carry your kayaks without towing. We are full-timers so our kayaks always come with which is why I went with the set-up we now have, so the kayaks would not interfere with the 5th wheel on turns.
    Actually we just purchased a Reflection 303RLS. That is the reason for the 8 foot bed so that we can load the kayaks and also clear the front of the trailer. Every new vehicle we purchased has required new racks as the mounting changed for each vehicle. So no matter what we did we had to get new racks.

The fortunate thing with these we timed it right as REI was having one of their big sales and we got them at 40% off which really helped.

We are also getting set up to be full timers as well. Maybe we might cross paths down the road and can compare notes.

this is my boat with our dog Cocoa. Also known as R2DDog

Name:	Cocoa&Mike Kayaking.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	26229

This is my wife's boat

Name:	danny.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	26230

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yak rack

Quote Originally Posted by AericktheViking View Post

Mine is a ten ft yak so much shorter. Having some welding done to bummer
    This week so it will be a real bumper. Moved
    Spare ? Into truck bed and intend to have yak vertical mounted and bike rack.
    2013 Chevy 2500 Silverado Diesel
    2020 3000QB
    Glen,Barbara and
    Dottie O'Doran the Wonder Dog