User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies I am thinking the same thing 250 territory but with the trip we are taking I will take some notes on height of the front end . I have my sales person looking into the HDpp and tires etc. We will see what happens but I think I will feel more comfortable with going to the 250 and not worrying about it.

Thanks
    Ken C
    Welland , Ontario

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting graph in post #2 by Rob, however I'd differ whether the V6 on steroids is the optimal F150 engine config. For most, its irrelevant since few were produced outside of Raptor model, however my own perspective is that the 6.2L reigns supreme on < 2015 F150 trucks before FoMoCo decided to pursue even more Kool-Aid intake by dropping that engine in combo with introduction of the lighter aluminum bodied F150 trucks that model year. I'm (relatively) active on the F150 Forums and have read more than enough about EcoBoost reliability issues not covered beyond the standard warranty period. No such reports on the largest displacement normally aspirated 6.2L offered until then. The 6.2L (in milder than Raptor state of tune) remains base gasoline engine for F250 and higher trucks with no EcoBoost available.

I special ordered my own as "overkill" TV for formerly owned TTs listed in combo with MaxTow Pkg and 3.73 final gearing. IMO, its a wonderful truck plus with OEM Raptor exhaust system installed sounds like no "common" F150. Nonetheless, the chassis on F150 or any other half ton truck is over-matched by payload and/or pin-weight of most Grand Design RVs. My 337RLS was towed to RV park site by my buddy (forum member) where it will be left in place during course of my ownership. No way I'll be selling my own unique truck. Point in all of this being, if in doubt - "go bigger"...
    Current RV: 2017 GD Reflection 337RLS
    Former RVs: 2017 Lance 1685, 2017 Lance 1475, 2011 Lance 1685, 2010 Casita 17SD

Tow vehicle: 2014 Ford F150 S-Cab FX4 6.2L MaxTow (obviously, not for current RV)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenc1325 View Post
    We are new to a pull trailer I have a F150 3.5 ecoboost . The trailer is a 2670 Mk dry weight 6600 LBS, gross wt. just over 8000 LBS , I have the weight distribution bars and anti sway bar. It feels like the truck wants to wonder to much and I don't like the way the front end feels. The weight that my truck is registered to tow is 12000 LBS . I had the 3.55 rear end and 20 inch tires . but when I am going down the highway it feels like the trailer is too much for the truck or the truck is too light to handle it. I am now thinking I made a mistake and should have gone with a F250. Would appreciate any thoughts on this ./
    Thank you
    Ken C
    You didn't specify what year your F150 is, not that it will make a lot of difference. They way setup of WDH was explained to me, I put a small piece of tape on from fender well ( empty truck with full bag of fuel) and measure from ground to tape. Write down the measurement. Attach loaded trailer as it will be towed. Nose of truck will come up. Measure again. Make adjustments to WDH until within 1/4 to 1/2 inch of original measurement. Also, for a lot of F150 info/help, especially with towing check this site: F150ecoboost.net. Very helpful people there.
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT 1500, CrewCab, 5.3L, 2wd.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what they use for towing when they rate the trucks for towing capacity. Also, they use 10% tongue weight for pull behinds and 15% for 5th wheel pin weights. You think that might be just a little bit easier to tow than 30 foot long by 12-foot high box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j2807 Towing copy.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	20556
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of tire pressure i am running at 36 LBS should i put in more .

Thanks
    KenC
    Welland Ontario

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn`t look like a fair evaluation

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    KenC
    Welland Ontario

Put in the maximum air that is allowed based on what is on the sidewall of the tire. It will show the maximum load and what PSI that load requires.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    KenC
    Welland Ontario
    Hi Ken,

As a reference point, my HDPP F150 came with E spec LT tires. Label pressures for rated payload are 55 psi front and 60 psi rear. I run 60 psi front and 70 psi rear when towing. (tire sidewall max pressure spec for LT 10 ply E tires is 80 psi) I run 50 psi all round when not towing, to soften the empty ride. I have never had any sway or push issues when towing, but that is partly the truck capability and partly the fact that I tow a 5th wheel and not a TT.

Pulling any trailer of moderate size with passenger car tires on the tow vehicle . . . is just not a good idea.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    This is what they use for towing when they rate the trucks for towing capacity. Also, they use 10% tongue weight for pull behinds and 15% for 5th wheel pin weights. You think that might be just a little bit easier to tow than 30 foot long by 12-foot high box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	j2807 Towing copy.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	20556
    The trailer in the picture is a "towing dynamometer". It has braking capabilities while towing to allow the TV driver to mimic trailers of much larger weight and wind resistance. It can't duplicate cross wind influence on a larger trailer, but it can duplicate the frontal air resistance of a much taller trailer.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again everyone for your replies like I said we are going on a trip in a couple of days I will watch and try some of your suggestions . I will put in the max air pressure and see what difference it makes and will let you know .

Ken C
    Welland , Ontario

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast