User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F150 is it enough truck

We are new to a pull trailer I have a F150 3.5 ecoboost . The trailer is a 2670 Mk dry weight 6600 LBS, gross wt. just over 8000 LBS , I have the weight distribution bars and anti sway bar. It feels like the truck wants to wonder to much and I don't like the way the front end feels. The weight that my truck is registered to tow is 12000 LBS . I had the 3.55 rear end and 20 inch tires . but when I am going down the highway it feels like the trailer is too much for the truck or the truck is too light to handle it. I am now thinking I made a mistake and should have gone with a F250. Would appreciate any thoughts on this ./
    Thank you
    Ken C

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3.5L Ecoboost is the powerhouse of the F150 engines available. The 5.0L V8 is still very popular because many can't get their heads around the idea that a V6 can have more towing power than a V8. Compare the torque curves in the attached. Ford offers a HDPP (Heavy Duty Payload Package) on the F150. This is the "right" configuration for towing a large trailer. This package is seldom stocked by a dealer and not even understood by most. If you have the more commonly available "trailer towing package" and want to make this better . . . look to the factory changes made for the HDPP. The most important of these is the tires. F150s (other than HDPP) come with passenger car tires. Upgrading to LT tires will make a big difference to handling when towing. HDPP has an additional leaf in each rear spring . . . this is the second most important difference and would be an easy change. HDPP front and rear shocks are tuned differently to match the suspension improvements . These would be another good thing to change.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image1.jpeg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good answer Rob!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses everyone I really appreciate it.
    I got the trailer towing packages as many as they had to offer on a build sheet so is this HDPP over and above what comes offered on the web.

Ken
    Welland Ontario

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob is right about the tires being critical to a good towing setup. When I was towing 8,000 lbs with my F150 I had the sway and pushy feeling. I adjusted my mirror down so I could see the rear tire and was amazed at how badly the tire was flexing. I put LT tires on and got rid of the flexing and nearly all of the pushing around. I also added a Hellwig sway bar which was quite inexpensive. It made some difference but not a truly significant amount. Also be sure your hitch is adjusted properly for your rig with the trailer and truck both loaded fully ready for travel. There are many threads about how to properly set up a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH).
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenc1325 View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone I really appreciate it.
    I got the trailer towing packages as many as they had to offer on a build sheet so is this HDPP over and above what comes offered on the web.

Ken
    Welland Ontario
    Hi Ken,

HDPP is in the brochure and in the dealer's order guide but most dealer sales people know nothing about it. Both our sales person and her sales manager claimed HDPP didn't exist until I showed it to them in the F150 brochure on their desk. Then I walked them through their own order guide to create a special order. The attached picture is taken from the 2017 F150 sales brochure.

The quickest way to know if you are looking at an HDPP F150 is if it has OE LT tires. That . . . and the 2500 lb payload on the door label .

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Heavy Duty Payload Package.pdf  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you setting up your truck when hitched?
    According to Ford I believe you need to return the front fender height to 50%-0% of the difference of unloaded and loaded without the WDH hooked up.
    i.e front fender unloaded=38". Loaded W/O WDH hooked up=40"
    You want the front at 38"-39".
    Also @34' long thats a lot of TT for an F150. Guessing that yours is a 145" WB. Dry TT weight around 7500 lbs+? lbs for gear and you're likely well over 8,000 lbs. JMO but I don't think even setting up the truck properly will result is a well controlled tow.
    That TT is in 3/4 ton territory or if lucky enough F150 HDPP territory. That long and heavy of a TT is going to always want to move the light F150 around.
    Spending $$$ on a Hensley Arrow type hitch will definitely help the situation. Problem is the 2970 has a dry TW of 800 lbs. Add two batteries, propane and gear in the front storage and in the bedroom and you should be pushing 1100 lbs for TW. Adding a heavy WDH like the HA or a Prop Pride will likely put the trucks receiver over it's rated limit.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No half ton (not even the F150 HDPP) comes with a factory hitch receiver greater than Class IV which is limited to about 1200 lbs with a WDH. Thus, the HDPP can carry a small 5th wheel more easily than a similar size TT. If you are above 1200 lbs hitch weight, you are definitely into 3/4 ton territory.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2670 MK TT Hitch wt 642 LBS GVW 8500 Lbs which should be well below the registered wt the truck can handle. I had it beefed up to handle just over 12000 LBS but it doesn`t feel like it does. I will look into all the suggestions that have been given . Which I really appreciate . We are going on a trip for a couple of weeks I will take note how high the front end is moving when hiched up.
    Thanks again everyone your experience is priceless

KenC
    Welland , Ontario

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenc1325 View Post
    We have a 2670 MK TT Hitch wt 642 LBS GVW 8500 Lbs which should be well below the registered wt the truck can handle. I had it beefed up to handle just over 12000 LBS but it doesn`t feel like it does. I will look into all the suggestions that have been given . Which I really appreciate . We are going on a trip for a couple of weeks I will take note how high the front end is moving when hiched up.
    Thanks again everyone your experience is priceless

KenC
    Welland , Ontario
    With a GVW of 8500 pounds I would think your tongue weight is going to be well over 1,000 pounds. That 642 is the "dry tongue weight" and is pretty much worthless. That size trailer with that kind of tongue weight you are definitely in HDPP or F250 territory. As stated a Hensley or Propride hitch would definitely help, but then you will definitely be over the rating of the hitch.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast