User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers View Post
    I have a Ram 1500 with the 3.0 EcoDiesel . . . the slightly heavier diesel engine negligibly impacts payload capacity.
    A Ram 1500 EcoDiesel has a payload of less than 1500 lbs (check the label on your door) A HDPP Ecoboost F150 has a payload of over 2500 lbs.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 2018 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I ordered the truck with everything available for towing (according to the salesperson at the dealership) including the extendable mirrors. I only learned about the HDPP option after taking delivery of the truck — from Rob on this forum.
    I have a 2018 Imagine 2500RL and last year was my first experience pulling a TT. I completely understand that uncomfortable feeling, particularly with crosswinds, and wish I had known about the HDPP. Last year I pulled the trailer to Winnipeg and back in June and then Nova Scotia in Sept — a total of 7 weeks through all kinds of weather with strong crosswinds. I’ve since installed air bags and find they help a lot - also keep the truck tires inflated to max.
    My conclusion is that a F250 would be a better option for towing the 2500RL - despite what Ford advertises. In the real world - since I also use the F150 in my real estate business and can’t see owning two trucks - I would choose the F150 with the HDPP.
    Ron
    Last edited by TangleMan; 07-11-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    ...In todays world we all want a truck that will do mega work but we are now a bunch of wimps and also want it to have a Cadillac ride. ...
    I'm one of those wimps. I have a truck that tows everything I'd ever wanted to tow and also rides like a Cadillac. I test drove a lot of trucks before finding what I wanted. In my situation, the F-250 is the best of both worlds. It has the smoother ride of an F-150 (albeit more comparable to the HDPP due to the rear spring pack) and the 6.7 diesel shared across the HD lineup. I understand that is doesn't have the payload of a F-350 or F-450 but for me it's the truck that fits just right. Damn, I sound like Goldilocks...

I also understand that no vehicle is an investment but when it comes to diesels, they seem to hold their resale value much better. You can definitely get a 150 and spend thousands in upgrades but that money is lost forever (unless you can remove these upgrades and reinstall on your next truck).

Sounds like the OP is now leaning towards a 250. Best of luck.
    ~Peter

Ford F-250 6.7 CCSB (tow vehicle), Imagine 2400BH, Cadillac Escalade 6.2 (family vehicle), BMW X5 (daily driver), Porsche 911/996 (weekend toy)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In 2017 I set a budget of $30k for our tow vehicle, knowing we were going full time the following year.
    I paid that in cash for a 2011 F250 with the 6.7 diesel (first year it came out).
    I was originally going with a new Ecoboost half ton but I’m glad now I chose to go with a used (much heavier) diesel for that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TangleMan View Post
    I also have a 2018 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I ordered the truck with everything available for towing (according to the salesperson at the dealership) including the extendable mirrors. I only learned about the HDPP option after taking delivery of the truck — from Rob on this forum.
    I have a 2018 Imagine 2500RL and last year was my first experience pulling a TT. I completely understand that uncomfortable feeling, particularly with crosswinds, and wish I had known about the HDPP. Last year I pulled the trailer to Winnipeg and back in June and then Nova Scotia in Sept — a total of 7 weeks through all kinds of weather with strong crosswinds. I’ve since installed air bags and find they help a lot - also keep the truck tires inflated to max.
    My conclusion is that a F250 would be a better option for towing the 2500RL - despite what Ford advertises. In the real world - since I also use the F150 in my real estate business and can’t see owning two trucks - I would choose the F150 with the HDPP.
    Ron
    Thanks for replying I personaly think that the F150 is over rated I too put every option for towing on that truck that I could and then some. For me too put better tires and possibly change rims , and extra leaf spring and a new stabalizer hitch . I didn`t see the sense in spending that kind of money and still have a F150 and still worry about the weight in the truck and how it is distributed . After the money I spent on the truck in the first place and the rating ford gave it 12000 LBS and the trailer is only 8100 LBS gross wt , hitch wt approx 900 lbs I dont feel like you should have to do anything more than match the WD bar . I have ordered a f250 and now waiting for delivery it will be approx. 8 weeks but I will post on how i find the difference , from what i am told it should be a big difference I hope they are right. Best of luck on your travels

Ken

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjunior View Post
    I'm one of those wimps. I have a truck that tows everything I'd ever wanted to tow and also rides like a Cadillac. I test drove a lot of trucks before finding what I wanted. In my situation, the F-250 is the best of both worlds. It has the smoother ride of an F-150 (albeit more comparable to the HDPP due to the rear spring pack) and the 6.7 diesel shared across the HD lineup. I understand that is doesn't have the payload of a F-350 or F-450 but for me it's the truck that fits just right. Damn, I sound like Goldilocks...

I also understand that no vehicle is an investment but when it comes to diesels, they seem to hold their resale value much better. You can definitely get a 150 and spend thousands in upgrades but that money is lost forever (unless you can remove these upgrades and reinstall on your next truck).

Sounds like the OP is now leaning towards a 250. Best of luck.
    I have an F250 on order and looking forward to see what kind of different ride I will get from it. Just couldn`t see spending more money and still have an F150 . Thanks for replying appreciate the feed back and its comforting to hear that maybe I made the right decision.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question for OP that I don’t think I’ve seen here; what speed are you noticing this uncomfortable sway feeling?
    ~Patrick

2018 Imagine 2400BH
    2016 GMC Yukon XL

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    A Ram 1500 EcoDiesel has a payload of less than 1500 lbs (check the label on your door) A HDPP Ecoboost F150 has a payload of over 2500 lbs.

Rob

Rob, has nothing to do with the capabilities of the truck. It's the same truck as a Hemi-equipped 1500 so the truck itself is not a limiting factor. The Ecodiesel actually weighs 80 pounds LESS than the Hemi.

The only reason the payload is reduced is the initial Ecodiesel cooling system couldn't handle one of the SAE J2807 tests of wide-open throttle up an incline while pulling max load. Nobody actually tows like that but Ram was forced to lower the payload to appease the NHTSA. Any Ram Ecodiesel can proficiently handle the same loads as a Hemi 1500.

Bob
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers View Post
    Any Ram Ecodiesel can proficiently handle the same loads as a Hemi 1500.
    Bob
    The payload for either powertrain in a crew cab 4x4 Ram 1500 is still less than 1500 lbs.
    Unless someone has an example of a door label with an "Occupants and Cargo" weight limit greater than this ??

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tow capacity of the OP truck from the Ford F150 tow brochure is 10,700 lbs with the 3.55 rear end with the 3.5 EcoBoost. The payload for this vehicle you would get off the door sticker my 2.7 with tow package is 7600lbs towing and 1418lbs cargo.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast