User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Reason I ask about hitch is that I have a Blue Ox Bed Saver on my Husky hitch and it has saved me twice in the past 10 years. Both times out of stupidity.
    The Superglide rails acted much like the bed saver. My bed is untouched, the tailgate damage got estimates or $1500 - 2000
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pics?

Can happen to any of us pulling fifth wheels, your number just came up that's all. Nothing fun about spending money fixing stuff like that but we all have to pay the stupid tax from time to time. I've paid my share over the years.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Any pics?

Can happen to any of us pulling fifth wheels, your number just came up that's all. Nothing fun about spending money fixing stuff like that but we all have to pay the stupid tax from time to time. I've paid my share over the years.
    I hate to admit it but I bit my tailgate a VERY LITTLE a couple of months ago. Nothing serious but noticeable. It's so easy to forget stuff when you're used to a tag along and now pulling a 5er. I am really thinking about a 5th wheel tailgate, but don't want to give up the camera.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for your mishap. I haven’t done this, but after 5 years of full-timing I have learned that success is rarely achieved when your routine is altered. Anytime I let anything interfere, disaster is right around the corner d something goes wrong.��
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just hang in there we all do stupid things sometimes. There is more good days than bad.
    If it makes you feel better I backed into my garage door with DW's car. Total damage to garage door and her car $2000. It was her fault. 😁 I gotta blame someone and she is not here to defend herself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim98166 View Post
    Really sorry to hear this. But seriously, this can't and doesn't happen with the andersen hitch. Sorry to beat a dead horse but I see these stories every day and wonder.....
    I pull a 311BHS with an F350 diesel and an andersen hitch. 6 months now and 1000's of miles. Its really worked well. I'm an engineer and unless the specs are wrong,
    this hitch more than does the job for my 14000 GVWR rig.
    Long or short bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I hate to admit it but I bit my tailgate a VERY LITTLE a couple of months ago. Nothing serious but noticeable. It's so easy to forget stuff when you're used to a tag along and now pulling a 5er. I am really thinking about a 5th wheel tailgate, but don't want to give up the camera.
    So true. I hate to admit it but I've done it twice now and haven't been bit yet. When I put the trailer away last weekend I pulled up to my storage space, got out and dropped the tailgate to get a jug of bug spray out. I've had a few spider issues around the spots where the tires sit. Got all done and jumped in the truck and made hard turn to line up and back in. Yep you guessed it, left the tailgate down I can report to anyone with similar rig that the tailgate on a new F350 will clear the front of a Solitude when turning!! The RV gods where watching out for me lol.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. Both my wife and I had the same experience with our new Jayco 5th Wheel about three years ago. We were new and forgot to chock our tires. Luckily, the trailer slammed down on the tailgate and the kingpin rested on our tailgate. We thought we were going to have a heart attack! It was an expensive (and scary) lesson to learn.

All of that now changed! We no longer have the traditional 5th wheel hitch, but instead, a Reese Goose Box! This method does not allow us to take the weight off the ball until we lower the front legs. So, there is no way we our trailer can accidentally fall off the hitch by itself. Plus, the GB tows much smoother and less jarring than a regular 5th wheel hitch.

Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    It was the confusion of the moment, check lists and such wouldn't have helped. Having trouble fitting into a space, raining, new to 5'er backing, noisy neighbors. So we decided to change spaces while partially unhitched.

Only a few days into 2 week trip so we're in the middle of nowhere and can't even unhitch. Crunched the top of the tailgate jammed the latch and bent a hitch part. Actually that hitch bar kept the pin from falling off the hitch entirely and doing much more damage. I managed to get the tailgate off 2 days later and strapped it in the bed.

We did the rest of trip and now I'm researching body shops. I'm also more practiced at backing and tightly curved pull-throughs. We learned a lot on our first long trip!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 56157814_2609438615740162_3448538626185494528_n.jpg  
    Keith & Victoria T.
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummings Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MJ

Not to hijack the OP, and I am truly sorry for the mishap. But to answer your question. I have the Andersen in a 6-1/2 ft box pulling a Reflection 29RS. Been on the road full time with this TV and fiver for 10 months. Love the setup. But I am always careful because you CAN contact the cab if you turn too tight.

Mike

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
    I'm sorry to hear what happened to you. Both my wife and I had the same experience with our new Jayco 5th Wheel about three years ago. We were new and forgot to chock our tires. Luckily, the trailer slammed down on the tailgate and the kingpin rested on our tailgate. We thought we were going to have a heart attack! It was an expensive (and scary) lesson to learn.

All of that now changed! We no longer have the traditional 5th wheel hitch, but instead, a Reese Goose Box! This method does not allow us to take the weight off the ball until we lower the front legs. So, there is no way we our trailer can accidentally fall off the hitch by itself. Plus, the GB tows much smoother and less jarring than a regular 5th wheel hitch.
    I like that! It would help to get off about 250 lb payload! Neat!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast