User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hail Damage Assessment?

Hello,

Last Wednesday our area experienced a wicked hail storm (some baseball size hail reported). Unfortunately, both my truck and trailer were parked outside. My truck had visible damage.. mostly to the hood.. and a cracked windshield. I'm actually taking the truck in to be assessed by catastrophy adjuster setup by American Family.. this afternoon. Bummed about the truck for sure.

But, concerned about the trailer! I cleaned the roof of debris and looked for any sign of damage. The only damage I could find was the plastic tv antenna. A 50 cent size piece was broken out of the top. All of the covers (over my vents and the air conditioners), seemed to be intact. I couldn't decipher any "dents" in the roof. I couldn't see any damage or dents on the lower aluminum skirt or on any thing metal on the sides. I couldn't see any damage to the sidewalls.I haven't inspected the sidewalls closely on a ladder as if I were waxing it.

My house roof has some visible "hits". I can see in at least 20 spots where impact has caused shingle (asphalt) damage.. like hitting it with a hammer.

We bought this 328M last fall new. I'm concerned that there has been compression damage to the roof/membrane that isn't visually apparent. Damage that might creep up later? Or am I fine and just lucky on the trailer?!

I'm interested in experience and advice any of you might have on steps I should take to ensure the proper care of our rig. Thanks!
    Taz (Vizsla)-- Lead Dog
    Steve and Karen-- Team
    >>>-------------------->
    2017 Ford 350 6.7 DRW
    2018 GD 328 Momentum

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hhanson View Post
    I'm interested in ... advice any of you might have on steps I should take to ensure the proper care of our rig. Thanks!
    I claim no expertise in this area, but two thoughts based on what I know (and what I'd do in your shoes).

1) The brochure for the Momentum shows the roof materials used. Underneath the rubber is a wood frame and insulation. I assume these materials are much more tolerant and will resist hail-impact damage better than our trucks. (We have the same truck! Hope yours is repairable.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	20581

2) I suggest contacting Grand Design Customer Service at 574-825-9679 for advice and to convey your concern, detailing what happened and the result of your inspection. They may recommend additional inspections.

Please report back when you have news.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of the hail damage. We too had a wicked storm 2 yrs ago. Thankfully only the house got a new roof. Real reason I commented is love your Vizsla pic. Here is our 3yr male Benelli or “Benny”Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA7BA499-2CF9-4641-9DDF-B676C2EC1295.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	848.2 KB 
ID:	20584
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Howard.. good advise which I'll pursue and relay back.
    Taz (Vizsla)-- Lead Dog
    Steve and Karen-- Team
    >>>-------------------->
    2017 Ford 350 6.7 DRW
    2018 GD 328 Momentum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hwktlg8, good to hear your rv roof survived. Gives me impetus to move forward with inspection on house roof. And, what can we say? Vizsla. A Breed unto their own. Benny is a good looking boy!
    Taz (Vizsla)-- Lead Dog
    Steve and Karen-- Team
    >>>-------------------->
    2017 Ford 350 6.7 DRW
    2018 GD 328 Momentum

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very surprised your vent covers on the roof of your RV survived. A few years ago, we owned a Flagstaff Micro Lite trailer in Colorado. We had hail and all of the roof vents were destroyed. The roof was ok. Now I have wooden boxes that I made covering our vents and sunroof on our 2970RL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happened to us last July in South Central KY. Tennis ball size. Major house, roof,cars and trucks damage. Hooked to camper leaving that night. Took camper to dealership and they walked the roof twice. No damage. They couldn't believe it when I showed them a picture of the size of hail.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are so fortunate. Find a very reputable roofer and he will inspect your roof and handle negotiations with your homeowner's insurance. Then find a first class auto body shop and they will have a dentless repair service lined up to come for a week or two to fix a bunch of vehicles. Get your name.in their waiting list. You would not believe the hail damage good Dent Doctors can fix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @howson

I suggest contacting Grand Design Customer Service at 574-825-9679 for advice and to convey your concern, detailing what happened and the result of your inspection. They may recommend additional inspections.

Please report back when you have news.
    I was finally able to talk with someone in Customer Service At Grand Design, his name was Gentry. Overall not very helpful. He seemed unable to understand my question about future problems I might encounter on my roof due to the pounding it took with baseball size hail and what to look for now or in the near future.

I guess it isn't a question that could be answered. He was very binary. Either it showed damage or it didn't. Finally, he advised to take it to the dealer and have them inspect it. I don't think I'll be doing that due to the distance and the hassle, plus the dealer wouldn't have any incentive unless I paid for the inspection.

I guess I just consider myself lucky! Truck took on >5k damage, house gets new roof, trailer.. put hole in King antenna. Go figure?!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Steve
    Taz (Vizsla)-- Lead Dog
    Steve and Karen-- Team
    >>>-------------------->
    2017 Ford 350 6.7 DRW
    2018 GD 328 Momentum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were beat up too

Quote Originally Posted by hhanson View Post
    Hello,

Last Wednesday our area experienced a wicked hail storm (some baseball size hail reported). Unfortunately, both my truck and trailer were parked outside. My truck had visible damage.. mostly to the hood.. and a cracked windshield. I'm actually taking the truck in to be assessed by catastrophy adjuster setup by American Family.. this afternoon. Bummed about the truck for sure.

I'm interested in experience and advice any of you might have on steps I should take to ensure the proper care of our rig. Thanks!
    Hey there, last year in Fountain, CO we experienced their 20 year record hail storm. It devastated all the RV's in the KOA. Took out our truck passenger window and windshield and beat the livin' heck out of it (also some baseball sized. All the vents and antennae on the RV as well as any projections, for example the tail lights and electrical hookup cover.

Now some advice. I felt the roof by hand and yes there were good depressions made by the large stones. I LEARNED that you really need to move the slides in quickly to prevent depressions on them (only thing is water coming in is more difficult to catch in a pan). I told my repair guy about the depressions in the slides which I could see and feel. The membrane will tighten and loosen with temperature and he did not see the slide depressions. Long story short, the claim is done as I left the company after the work was done.

$23,000 later the truck and RV are new looking (except for a couple of depressions in the slide roofs). I will keep an eye on them.

PAINTLESS DENT REPAIR
    If you have lots of little tiny dents in the sides of the truck like I had the paintless dent repair is the BEST way to go. No paint no bondo. In our area there is a guy that pioneered the procedure.

The rest of the truck repair then went to a body shop (BIG JOB). They have to cut the roof off and weld the posts back on as they are steel. The hood and a mirror was replaced. They took the bed off as it would not fit into the paint booth while on the truck.

Hope it all works out for you...not a fun experience.
    Bradley & Glenna
    2016 29rs Reflection
    2016 Ford F250 - B&W Patriot 18k Slider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast