User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I get rid of my BlueOx Sway Pro?

I pull a 2018 Imagine 3150BH (one of the longer ones) with a 2017 Ford 350 Dually tow vehicle.

This truck is overkill for this trailer but eventually want to get a 5th wheel and did not want to have to buy another truck. I use a BlueOx Sway Pro WD hitch that I used on a smaller tow vehicle and then just switched over to the dually.

I experience absolutely no sway as you would expect. I do have up and down porpoising at times when I go over bridges, etc - sometimes severe. Not sure if it would help to get rid of the WD hitch to help with this problem. It also may have something to do with the unsprung rear springs of my HD truck combined with the long trailer length.

I know I don't need the weight distribution capabilities of the hitch but do I need the sway control? I have read in places that sway control devices are not needed with duallys. 99% of the time I am towing it is with my wife and kids so I don't really want to experiment with them on this.

Getting rid of it would make hooking and unhooking faster/easier and I could sell the hitch to someone who needs it. It also may help with the porpoising issue.

Any advise appreciated !
    Rick & Candi - Dallas, TX

2017 Ford F350 6.7L DRW
    2018 3150BH Imagine
    Blue Ox Swaypro Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick

I think a test drive would answer your question.
    I did tow our previous TT with out my WD hitch one time and I did not like it. It seemed to me that the TT was just doing what ever it wanted.
    Curious to hear what you discover.

Brian

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the delivery drivers that haul these into us use WDH, and almost all of them run duallys.

You may think you don't need it, but on a trailer as long as the 3170 and with its tongue weight, my bet would be that the Blue Ox bars are too light, or you aren't pulling them as tight as you should since you don't think you need them.

Porpoising is a direct effect of a heavy tongue weight, as you aren't getting any of the weight transferred to the front axle of the truck.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to check. Look at the distance between the helper springs and the brackets that the springs contact when the load gets high enough. I had a Ram 3500 dually that would porpoise over the slightest bumps. Truck would squat a little, hit the spring brackets and rebound violently. My solution was Timbergrove air bags that raised the truck just enough to keep the helpers from making contact with the brackets on all but the largest bumps.
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS, purchased April 2018. 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (I need a bigger truck!). Oswego NY in the summer, Ft. Myers Beach, Fl in the winter. GD is my summer home. Previously owned: 2015 Rockwood 2604WS; 2012 KZ Stoneridge 43' toy hauler; 2005 Titanium 39' toy hauler.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your truck might not need weight distribution, but your receiver on the truck might.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Witnessed an RV delivery driver total his F350 and new trailer because of sway. Dually doesn’t eliminate the possibility of sway. It might help, but it’s no magic bullet.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what a dually does for unloading the front end weight. With a 315, you still have 1500lbs or more using the rear axle as a fulcrum with a 4ft lever. When my 315 was transported to the factory for repair the transporters both going and coming used WD hitches to haul it with their Ram duallys.