Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh Water Tank Question

We just recently came back from a long trip. Prior to the trip, I did the procedure for sanitizing with the bleach. Now that we're home, I have drained the tank. Now the RV will be parked for at least a month or two in the 100-110 degree heat.

What do you all recommend for storage so that I don't get bacterial growth, odor, mold, etc in that fresh water tank? Should I leave it empty? Should I completely fill it with some sort of anti-bacterial/algae agent? Fill it part way? Etc, etc.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Mike

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our city water has chlorine in it, I usually leave the tank with water in it, not necessarily full, and have never had a problem with wierd things growing in there.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in south Florida and it gets hot and humid much of the time.
    This question has perplexed me as well. What I do is to leave a half tank or less of water in fresh tank, H&C lines and water heater.
    I also keep B & G tanks with a few gallons of water in them as well.
    My reasoning is that, without it the seals are liable to dry up and fail prematurely as qell.as.the gaye valves.
    That said, when I'm ready to go somewhere, I'll drain the fresh tank to 10 % for travel needs.
    When I get to a CG, first thing I'll do is drain tanks, flush black tank, drain fresh tank completely ( and refill to 25% for spare travel water again).
    Then I'll flush all lines out with fresh water. Sounds like a lot but its as easy as open a beer, open all faucets, finish the beer, close them all......Reeeeelax !!! [emoji41]

If anyone sees something Im missing please advise, thats WHY we're all here !!

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cleary View Post
    We just recently came back from a long trip. Prior to the trip, I did the procedure for sanitizing with the bleach. Now that we're home, I have drained the tank. Now the RV will be parked for at least a month or two in the 100-110 degree heat.

What do you all recommend for storage so that I don't get bacterial growth, odor, mold, etc in that fresh water tank? Should I leave it empty? Should I completely fill it with some sort of anti-bacterial/algae agent? Fill it part way? Etc, etc.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Mike
    Hi Mike,

For the last 12 years I have drained the fresh water tank and left water in the pipes until winterizing. Never had an issue with anything growing in the tank. Sanitize in the spring before first trip and you should be fine.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had a problem leaving tank empty. We never use the fresh water for drinking, just shower and cleaning dishes, etc..... Been doing this for over 20 years.