User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Northern California to Jackson Wyoming

Can someone suggest a good trip from Klamath CA to Jackson? Primary concern is with incline as we get closer to the Rockies. We managed fine crossing through Colorado on I70.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's google maps suggested route. They grayed out route is the southern alternative.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Klam...43.4799291!3e0

We went from NorCal to Yosemite and further north into Alberta last year. I don't recall any particularly difficult climbs.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    luke79, you don't mention what your rig is or your comfort level with steep winding mountain roads is but we just returned form there and the route I use (twice now) is US 26 out of Idaho Falls to US 31 to US 33 and into Jackson. Some folks are not comfortable with pulling over the Teton Summit but I have done it in both directions and have no concerns.

This trip my nephew was with me towing his 26 ft Imagine with a GMC Denali 1/2 ton and he was fine and very comfortable.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes. BTW, we stayed in Gros Ventre for 4 days then headed up into Yellowstone for 4 days and it was awesome trip. Lots and lots of wildlife and we had great weather for the most part.
    Last edited by Paul & Deb; 06-10-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We go to Jackson every year, heading there on 7/18 this year. We take 80 east to Wells, NV then up to the border with Idaho on to Twin Falls and then Idaho Falls. Basically most of that 2nd route in the link TheLexx sent you. We don't go over Teton Pass, instead we go through Swann Valley over to Alpine and up to Hoback Junction and enter Jackson through that route.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTrekker View Post
    We go to Jackson every year, heading there on 7/18 this year. We take 80 east to Wells, NV then up to the border with Idaho on to Twin Falls and then Idaho Falls. Basically most of that 2nd route in the link TheLexx sent you. We don't go over Teton Pass, instead we go through Swann Valley over to Alpine and up to Hoback Junction and enter Jackson through that route.
    Brian, I was going to take this route on this trip if the weather hadn't been so good. The roads over the mountains were clear but if they had not been, I would have gone your way. Where do you guys stay when you're there?
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Paul, we stay at the Colter Bay RV Campground inside the park at Jackson Lake. Its a great spot to head down to Jackson or up to Yellowstone for the day and has lots of activities from right there. We usually head somewhere else from there, one year up to Glacier, last year down to Rocky Mountain NP. We usually go in the spring or fall, but this year our three kids and their families are coming with their trailers. So we booked 4 sites at Colter Bay in July for the warmer weather. We stayed at Gros Ventre the year we wanted to stay in the Jackson area a little longer. We enjoyed that spot too.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I want to stay there some day but Deb likes being so close to Jackson. I need to check them out better for our next trip. It never gets old going to the Tetons and Yellowstone!
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have f150 v8 towing imagine 2400bh. We made across i70 through Colorado but we also did a side trip on us hwy 6 which is very winding with steep inclines. The transmission runs between 210 and 230f on an incline but cools down fairly quickly. Having said that I'm more concerned with the braking power of the truck and trailer. I've done teton pass last year without the trailer. I think we'll just take US26 through Alpine and then up to Jackson.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I wouldn't tow over Teton Pass without an exhaust brake, and even then I'd probably just go around via Alpine. It's a pretty route up through the canyon from Alpine.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue