User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Long Trip Questions

We are on our first long trip (6-8 weeks) and I've got a couple of questions.

1) We're having difficulty with the 303RLS auto leveling system. Quite often we get an "out of stroke" message. When we are successful, often one set of wheels is slightly off the ground which concerns me. I just bought a set of lynx levelers which I hope will allow me to have more control over the process. Comments/Suggestions?

2) How often should you empty the black water tank? I'm ready horror stories of emptying too early or too late!

Thanks!
    Bill and Tracy
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2015 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    Arizona

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of stroke means the legs can not extend any further. Your site is likely not very level. You should not extend the legs past the 6th pin per the manufacturer. If you need additional extension then most folks used blocks of wood or just a stack of cut up 2x4’s. What we do is use the Andersen Jack Blocks. They’re plastic buckets that you can put under the legs before extending them. This way the leg legs don’t have to extend so far. We stack 2 buckets in front and use singles for the rear. Less leg extension also means the trailer is more stabile.

We have 5 in our family so we dump our black tank every other day. I don’t go by the sensors because they are notoriously unreliable.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wait to dump the black tank until it is about 3/4's full. That way, you have enough liquid to move the solids. I also add a couple of gallons of water and a package of oxidizer when I first set up.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long roadtrips are fun! Hope you have a great time.

We have a dated 303 pre auto leveling so can't offer up much advice there. But I have read leveling the old way side by side helps with some issues. Using blocks or the buckets under the feet will help some with any wiggle or bounce.

The black tank emptying when we are road tripping is done with no less than half a tank, if you dump with less utilize the flush/cleanout until the tank runs clear. Let the tank fill some before opening the gate valve while doing a flush, that will help get rid of any developing mounds. We tend to flush every few tank fulls and when the trailer isn't going to be used for a period of time (which doesn't happen often) before it's put to bed.
    Be sure to use enough water vs TP when flushing. This is one place water conservation can cause a big problem.

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    We are on our first long trip (6-8 weeks) and I've got a couple of questions.

1) We're having difficulty with the 303RLS auto leveling system. Quite often we get an "out of stroke" message. When we are successful, often one set of wheels is slightly off the ground which concerns me. I just bought a set of lynx levelers which I hope will allow me to have more control over the process. Comments/Suggestions?

2) How often should you empty the black water tank? I'm ready horror stories of emptying too early or too late!

Thanks!
    As mentioned above, the out of stroke issue requires some bridging/blocks under the respective leveling jack(s).

As far as how often to empty the black tank. As a general rule for us, whenever I need to empty the gray tanks, the black tank gets emptied first.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your help! I like the Anderson buckets. May be investing soon.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ditto on the buckets! Been using ours for 14 months of full timing and they’re still perfect. Way lighter than wood, don’t soak up water and don’t crack like the plastic blocks. We don’t use the leg extensions at all, helps with trailer stability big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Ditto on the buckets! Been using ours for 14 months of full timing and they’re still perfect. Way lighter than wood, don’t soak up water and don’t crack like the plastic blocks. We don’t use the leg extensions at all, helps with trailer stability big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ditto! I use them on all 6 of my jacks and love them. You are able to use much less jack and the trailer is much more stable, no movement felt inside when walking around.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, get the trailer close to level (eyeball it) side to side before auto leveling. We also use the Anderson buckets. If you haven't already, I recommend re-calibrating the leveling system. Initially, ours claimed to be level when it clearly was not. On a particularly flat campsite, we took the time to level the trailer the old fashioned way using a bubble level and manual control of the individual jacks, then reset the "zero point". Now it is perfect. I really love the auto leveling feature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	29 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	20850

At whatever point you decide to dump the black tank, the key is to have plenty of liquid in it so the solids get flushed out. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or full, it will be fine as long as you have a high ratio of liquid to solid. Prior to travel days, I use the tank flush connection to make sure it is free of all solid waste. Leave some water in the tank when driving so it sloshes around and takes care of any residual.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    As others have said, get the trailer close to level (eyeball it) side to side before auto leveling. We also use the Anderson buckets. If you haven't already, I recommend re-calibrating the leveling system. Initially, ours claimed to be level when it clearly was not. On a particularly flat campsite, we took the time to level the trailer the old fashioned way using a bubble level and manual control of the individual jacks, then reset the "zero point". Now it is perfect. I really love the auto leveling feature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	29 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	20850

At whatever point you decide to dump the black tank, the key is to have plenty of liquid in it so the solids get flushed out. 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or full, it will be fine as long as you have a high ratio of liquid to solid. Prior to travel days, I use the tank flush connection to make sure it is free of all solid waste. Leave some water in the tank when driving so it sloshes around and takes care of any residual.
    We had to zero our leveling this weekend after we picked up the new RV on Friday. It was off enough that I could feel it walking inside.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast