User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

297 RSTS Spare Tire Holder-Huge Hole

I recently read a few members talking about the hole above where the spare tire mounts; so this weekend I lowered the spare tire and was I shocked at the size of the hole in the underbelly where the cable comes down. Looks like they cut 4 huge slits and took out a huge chunk just to allow for that small cable to come down.

I broke out the Eternabond Tape and sealed all of the cuts and then make a small hole just large enough for the cable to go through. Will take some pictures this week.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I found this as well. 1/8" diameter cable and a hole big enough to throw a football thru.

Brian

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that too. I used Gorilla Tape to seal it up.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used underbelly tape around the cable to seal the area and then cut foam board to fit inside the tire and extend high enough to press against the coroplast when the tire is rolled u. Seals the area very nicely. There is a picture posted. It is a very easy fix for the large installation hole.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillybob View Post
    I used underbelly tape around the cable to seal the area and then cut foam board to fit inside the tire and extend high enough to press against the coroplast when the tire is rolled u. Seals the area very nicely. There is a picture posted. It is a very easy fix for the large installation hole.
    Could you re-post the pictures or show us where the link is. I would be very grateful to see what you have done. Very common problem it seems.

Thanks
    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob
    Attached is a picture. I turned the stem down and then cut a 2” piece of foam to fit in the rim. I added a couple more pieces so the foam was slightly higher than the rubber. I cut a slot in each piece for the cable and the raised the tire up against the coroplast so it completely sealed the hole.[ATTACH=CONFIG]20724[/ATTACH Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92F58F50-DDD2-445A-9BEE-8EBE712AF001.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	20724]

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillybob View Post
    Hi Rob
    Attached is a picture. I turned the stem down and then cut a 2” piece of foam to fit in the rim. I added a couple more pieces so the foam was slightly higher than the rubber. I cut a slot in each piece for the cable and the raised the tire up against the coroplast so it completely sealed the hole.[ATTACH=CONFIG]20724[/ATTACH Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92F58F50-DDD2-445A-9BEE-8EBE712AF001.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	20724]
    Thanks for the picture. That is a great idea as it seals it up nicely. I am going to have to do this mod as well.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS