User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saguido View Post
    I have what might be a stupid question....if the trailer rides close to level and i want to increase pin weight to help solve chucking, is putting weight into the bed of the truck going to have the same effect as putting the weight on the trailer?
    It is not the same. Putting weight in the front of the RV will move the center of mass forward on the RV.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-19-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing you need to do is get to the scales and see exactly where your loaded trailer weight and actual pin weight are. Then you'll know if you need to shift weight forward or not. If you do, and it throws off your level then look at either air bags or changing the hitch height to level it out.

Once we know where your pin weight is we know if that's causing your sway or whether we look for something else (hitch, pin box, etc).
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    The OP has a 150 Series Reflection.

The pinboxes are not replaceable.

An FYI, the haulers that bring these in to us everyday always say that the GD products tow the best of any they haul.

Just need to find the right combo of truck/trailer.
    Thanks, Steve. I knew about the Reflection but didn't know the pin boxes couldn't be replaced. And that's probably just the first thing I'll learn today.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive noticed with my 2017 Reflection 303 is if you run with fresh water in the tank. It will chuck more than with out. I had a 05 couger with rear kitchen chucked like crazy even after a Morryde pin box new suspension and better weight distribution when loading. My reflection has a morryde box. With 5 or 10 gallons for pit stops seemed smooth 1/2 to full more chucking. My truck is a 1ton gmc 3500 crew dually. Just something to consider.

Randy

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a less than full tank, the water sloshes around moving the center of mass a lot - this would be a recipe for chucking I would imagine. With the tank full, it essentially acts as a solid from a weight movement standpoint.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loaded up the front of the trailer as best I could but I'm still chucking. I probably added about 150-200 lbs. I noticed there is a wedge on the Turning Point pin box in the shipped position. Maybe it needs to be put in place? I get the "deer in the headlights" look if I ask the dealer these questions. This forum has been way more helpful than the dealer that installed the hitch. All I get from them is "make an apt, it will cost $130/hr, 1 hour minimum, and I don't know how long it will take to determine what is the problem."

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't use the wedge unless you need it to pivot under the trailer.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to the scales again now that I have a 2500. I weighed with a full tank of gas and me not in the truck. The trailer was loaded with lightweight gear meaning the heavy stuff like wood and food were not loaded. My pin weight is 1700, trailer weight is 6360, which means total weight is 8030 putting me at 21% ratio. As far as the trailer attitude, I'm about 1/2 inch high in the front. So, I think trailer level and pin weight are good. I suppose that means the hitch is the next suspect. I have Reese rails/brackets and a PullRite 16k hitch. Back to the scale info...steer axle weight is 4020, drive axle is 4860, total is 8880. My GVWR is 9500, which allows 620# for me, the wife, and other gear. I'm 205, wife 130, so 620-335=285# for additional gear. If I take the two grandsons (100#), food and gear, I'm very close to the GVWR. This is a 150 series unit with a published pin weight of 1325#. How do people manage with units that have a published pin weight of 1700?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 150 series and have F250. This is a big puzzle to me too. The RV manufactures, the RV and TV dealer playing a big mind game with consumers. It is all about getting your money.
    When I weighted the last time:
    I was 60# over TV GVWR
    My pin weight is 600# under the max TV payload
    The RV is #400 under the GVWR max load
    So I have to get a bigger TV or lighter RV.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    I also have a 150 series and have F250. This is a big puzzle to me too. The RV manufactures, the RV and TV dealer playing a big mind game with consumers. It is all about getting your money.
    When I weighted the last time:
    I was 60# over TV GVWR
    My pin weight is 600# under the max TV payload
    The RV is #400 under the GVWR max load
    So I have to get a bigger TV or lighter RV.
    Unfortunately you have discovered what many here have, most diesel F250 trucks are anemic on payload due to the weight of the diesel. There are even some F150s with more payload than a fully equipped F250 diesel. Some say it is just a sticker and is the same as a F350 and you should just go by your RAWR, that is up to you. The advertised pin weight is a dry pin weight, and pretty much unattainable as you have learned.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast