User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Learning GVWR and chucking the hard way.

I recently bought the 260RD and love it. It's our first 5th wheel, been camping since 1996. The splurge for the 260 was meant to be our retirement gift to ourselves. A big factor in the decision was that it could be towed with a half ton. Took a trip to DC (350 miles one way) and it handled beautiful, got 10-12 MPG, held 5th gear all the way. Because I'm so anal, I took it to the scales. I weighed 7560 and my GVWR is 7600. I had 1/4 tank of gas and just me in the truck. Now I have a 3/4 ton (2500HD). The 1/2 ton towed much better than the 3/4 ton (what??). I also now have enough chucking to make my wife car sick. My dream is turning into a nightmare!
    I had a 2015 Silverado, 1500, 5.3L, with max tow package. I now have 2016 Silverado, 2500HD, CC, 6.0L
    I thought the 2500HD would perform better than the 1500 but I seem to have taken a step backwards. Anyone experience this?
    Last edited by saguido; 06-10-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the chucking can be attributed to the hitch and even how you have the trailer loaded. The 2500 will be stiffer in the back with heavier springs and also heavier duty tires. Towing with the 1/2 ton the suspension was probably pushed down more and you may have had a little more "bounce" than chucking. Having a good hitch and the right pin weight will make a lot of difference.

Brian

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the model 1900 PullRite Super 5th hitch. As far as pin weight, I appear level but have not had a chance to do a deliberate effort to check. If I am level, are there ways to increase pin wieght, besides putting heavy items in the front?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saguido View Post
    I recently bought the 260RD and love it. It's our first 5th wheel, been camping since 1996. The splurge for the 260 was meant to be our retirement gift to ourselves. A big factor in the decision was that it could be towed with a half ton. Took a trip to DC (350 miles one way) and it handled beautiful, got 10-12 MPG, held 5th gear all the way. Because I'm so anal, I took it to the scales. I weighed 7560 and my GVWR is 7600. I had 1/4 tank of gas and just me in the truck. Now I have a 3/4 ton (2500HD). The 1/2 ton towed much better than the 3/4 ton (what??). I also now have enough chucking to make my wife car sick. My dream is turning into a nightmare!
    I had a 2015 Silverado, 1500, 5.3L, with max tow package. I now have 2016 Silverado, 2500HD, CC, 6.0L
    I thought the 2500HD would perform better than the 1500 but I seem to have taken a step backwards. Anyone experience this?
    There are several things that can cause this. One may be that you are on the edge of the secondary spring and your moving on and off the activation of this spring. Some will tell you to load heavier on the tongue and this can help but others may advise to install an air lift air spring system. I would lean in this direction myself.
    You can raise the truck with the air springs to be off the secondary spring where you will get that (almost) 1/2 ton truck ride while towing.

A Morryde Pin Box system may also help with the 5ver. This device will help with chucking.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A217&FORM=VIRE

Road systems can also be an issue. I just returned from a trip to PJ Hoffmaster state park in Michigan and I-96 on the west side of the state is just brutal with a sinusoidal road system. The airlift system would have taken a great deal of misery out of this ride. My situation was somewhat similar where my suspension was moving into the jounce bumpers which also have some shock absorption, however this is the last stage to just bottoming out. On a good road the truck rides like a dream. I will purchase the airlift system with the on board compressor to have full control when I encounter one of these oscillating type roads again.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 06-10-2019 at 06:26 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are towing a 303 with a 3/4 ton and with the Pull-rite Super-glide hitch. The hitch has served us well but is a bit noisy. We do experience some chucking. I would recommend ensuring the hitch adjustment does not need tightening and to check the capture plate on the kingpin as well.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Get rid of the Pullwrong and use a B&W hitch. No chucking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Get rid of the Pullwrong and use a B&W hitch. No chucking.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My old truck and 5th... I had a B&W hitch... I had chucking...
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's got nothing to do with the hitch.

Experiment with loading the heaviest stuff in the front for more pin weight.

I tow a 260RD with a 3500 and have no chucking.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from 1/2 to 3/4 ton, it rides alot better on rough roads, pin weight is about 19.5%. See signature
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next trip I will be more deliberate about getting more weight on the pin. This trailer has the Turning Point pin box, but is not setup to swivel and the wedge appears to be in its original position. Maybe using the wedge and placing the pin box in swivel mode will help?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast