User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being in the commercial auto insurance business (Berkshire Hathaway Branch Manager) the majority of "hot shot" delivery drivers are Class A CDL drivers with less than 24 months driving experience, driving hot shot for a couple of years so they can then get the experience they will need to transition to Class 8 tractors.

There are some who this is all they do, but the vast majority of delivery drivers have magnetic DOT#s applied to their truck, and switch back and forth depending on who they are delivering for. Consequently they don't have to have their own "commercial" insurance as they operate under the insurance and FMCSA authority of the delivery contractor.
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, all this discussion and no replies from people that have experienced, or know people that have experienced, the dark side of overloading; like tickets, rear axle replacement, accidents blamed on overloading, etc.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my problem with chucking could have something to do with the torque converter in my 2016 Silverado 2500hd. It seems the surging/chucking happens in 3rd gear during heavy acceleration without a trailer and is much more noticeable when pulling the trailer. Has any experienced this and if so, is this something that can be fixed?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saguido View Post
    I think my problem with chucking could have something to do with the torque converter in my 2016 Silverado 2500hd. It seems the surging/chucking happens in 3rd gear during heavy acceleration without a trailer and is much more noticeable when pulling the trailer. Has any experienced this and if so, is this something that can be fixed?
    Are you using Tow/Haul, or disengaging overdrive? (not sure if you can disable OD on your truck but I believe Tow/Haul is standard equipment)
    Last edited by bigb56; 08-31-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always run with tow haul and transmission in 5th gear, no overdrive. I have tried overdrive but it will only stay there if the terrain is extremely flat

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we see a healthy amount of chucking with our Curt Q25 (OEM puck system on our GMC) and our 3740BH-R. I have bought a Goose Box 20k 2nd Gen and will be installing that in a couple days when my brother can come over to help. We are hoping that helps a lot. We will also be happy to not have to manage a hitch in the truck bed.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saguido View Post
    Interesting post. I’m pulling a 303 with a 2016 Sierra 2500 HD gas 6.0 with the tow pkg. I too have had the chucking during acceleration with the trailer. I’m not sure which gear but it’s around 30 mph. I had the GMC mechanic ride with me with his laptop connected to the truck. They diagnosed a bad torque converter. I do not notice any issues with the truck by itself. They replaced the torque converter under warranty and the chucking is less, but not gone. I searched the web high and low for other folks with this issue, not much much out there. I always run in tow/haul when towing.
    There is a lot of mechanical looseness in my hitch, a Reese 16k on rails. I’ve gotten used to it, but am thinking about a Moryde pin box and or a B&W Patriot Hitch to reduce the looseness.
    I weighed the rig and pin weight is 21%.
    Keithb
    Upstate New York
    2018 Reflection 303RLS built 08/2017
    2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab w/6.0 L gas
    Reese 16K Slider, SteadyFast System

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't gotten to install my goosebox yet but I did play with putting the Curt gooseneck ball into the OEM puck setup and it does have some play in it - more than I would want ideally. I may try to figure out a way to shim it up so that it is properly snug.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithb View Post
    Interesting post. I’m pulling a 303 with a 2016 Sierra 2500 HD gas 6.0 with the tow pkg. I too have had the chucking during acceleration with the trailer. I’m not sure which gear but it’s around 30 mph. I had the GMC mechanic ride with me with his laptop connected to the truck. They diagnosed a bad torque converter. I do not notice any issues with the truck by itself. They replaced the torque converter under warranty and the chucking is less, but not gone. I searched the web high and low for other folks with this issue, not much much out there. I always run in tow/haul when towing.
    There is a lot of mechanical looseness in my hitch, a Reese 16k on rails. I’ve gotten used to it, but am thinking about a Moryde pin box and or a B&W Patriot Hitch to reduce the looseness.
    I weighed the rig and pin weight is 21%.
    You could look at the comfort ride hitch. It will give you a good ride.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly enough, on the topic of chucking, I recently learned another factor that can affect it. Coming home on Monday from holidays I had an excessive amount of chucking on a roadway that I never experienced it on before. It was so bad even my son was asking me why the truck was bouncing back and forth so much. Upon arriving home I found I had a bolt in my back right tire. Should have been 80psi, only had 40psi left. Seems tire pressure can play a role in chucking.
    Trailer: 2019 Solitude S-Class 3740BH
    Old trailer: 2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 27DBHS (Sold)
    Old trailer: 2010 Heartland Sundance 3300RLB (always leaked, then rotted! Layout was good, but build was junk.)
    Old trailer: 1992 Prowler 5th 27.5N

Truck: 2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie Aisin
    Old truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 SRW Laramie 68RFE
    Old truck: 2003 Ram 3500 Cummins QuadCab 4x4 SRW Laramie 6spd

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast