Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water leak at water heater insert

I bought a new camper on Wednesday. Today is Monday and it is raining. There was a small stream of water running out of our kitchen on our 3170bh. Pulled out some drawers dried up the water and tried to find the source. As it turns out it appears that it is leaking in from around the insert for the water heater. Meaning the outside panel. We are leaving for a trip in a few days. Then will be home for a couple weeks and then gone again. Is this something that I can fix myself without causing any future issues? If so I assumed that it would be caulking, what kind? Or is this something I need to take it to the dealership for?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a suggestion. Call GD customer service and tell them what you found and are leaving for a trip. Ask what kind of sealant is used and if it’s ok for you to reseal the tank. If they say yes ask them to overnight you some sealant that way if you ever had an issue with the tank GD supplied you with the correct product. They have helped us before. Good luck
    2018 Reflection 337RL / 2022 GMC Denali 3500HD CC LB Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Checkmate!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at it again, I noticed that at the bottom of the pan where the hinges come in, there are two big globs of black (I assumed to be silicone). Could that have been put in to try and prevent a known leak? Does anybody else have these big blobs there?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. From what your saying I also have a black globs in the same locations. My tank looks like it sealed with clear silicone around it. Hope this helps.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as an FYI, I spoke with Joe at Grand Design and he said don't worry about any warranty issues. He said just pick up some clear UV rated silicone and run it around the edge of the water heater cabinet. Making sure not to put it on so thick that the door will not shut. He also said to pay attention to where the gas line comes in.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phoenix. Thanks for the FYI . Enjoy your trip. Checkmate